·
Registered
7,625 Posts

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
stackz said:
4 ecu plugs.

manual tranny harness only has 3. The third to right one is not present on manual tranny cars.
Not so my friend! The 96-98 all have at least 4 plugs, the green one goes to the dash harness, the blue & grey ones go to the ECU. The auto *might* have a 5th plug, but I"ve never bothered with autos before. My 98 DX definitely has all 4 plugs though and it's 5-spd.

A 99-00 engine harness would have only 3 with a manual tranny, as one of the ecu plugs was moved over into the dash harness.

If I could see a closeup of area on the large blue & grey plugs where the wires go in I could probably tell you...but it's sold so what's the point now? :p

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
klungemonger said:
Not so my friend! The 96-98 all have at least 4 plugs, the green one goes to the dash harness, the blue & grey ones go to the ECU. The auto *might* have a 5th plug, but I"ve never bothered with autos before. My 98 DX definitely has all 4 plugs though and it's 5-spd.

A 99-00 engine harness would have only 3 with a manual tranny, as one of the ecu plugs was moved over into the dash harness.

If I could see a closeup of area on the large blue & grey plugs where the wires go in I could probably tell you...but it's sold so what's the point now? :p
that's odd since the manual ecu only makes use of 3 plugs. pop yours out and take a look. hell it might be universal with whatever plugs on the opposite end being not used at all. I do know that one plug isn't used as there's not even prongs coming out of the ecu for it on manuals

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Go to an online dealership parts site and make yourself a list of part numbers of all the harnesses. The harnesses all have part number labels on them, usually on the branch that plugs in on the driver side shock tower. Find the number and you'll know what it is. That's the easy way, but there's other ways to tell if you know your Civic years and models well enough.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
stackz said:
that's odd since the manual ecu only makes use of 3 plugs. pop yours out and take a look. hell it might be universal with whatever plugs on the opposite end being not used at all. I do know that one plug isn't used as there's not even prongs coming out of the ecu for it on manuals
3 plugs on the 96-98 manual harness go directly into the ECU, the 4th plug goes to the dash harness. I just spent quite a few hours studying OBD2 harnesses while doing a 00 Si swap into a 98 CX. I rebuilt the whole 98 CX harness to run the B16, rerouted wires, repinned the ecu for the IACV and VTEC...

There were 4 plugs total and they were all used. I had installed the 2000 Si harness but it does NOT work in a 96-98, as there were only 3 plugs (2 into the ecu, plus the green one to the dash.) The 3rd plug that goes into the ecu feeds the 2nd O2 sensor, vapor purge system, and some other stuff.

The harnesses definitely aren't universal though, part numbers are different.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
klungemonger said:
3 plugs on the 96-98 manual harness go directly into the ECU, the 4th plug goes to the dash harness. I just spent quite a few hours studying OBD2 harnesses while doing a 00 Si swap into a 98 CX. I rebuilt the whole 98 CX harness to run the B16, rerouted wires, repinned the ecu for the IACV and VTEC...

There were 4 plugs total and they were all used. I had installed the 2000 Si harness but it does NOT work in a 96-98, as there were only 3 plugs (2 into the ecu, plus the green one to the dash.) The 3rd plug that goes into the ecu feeds the 2nd O2 sensor, vapor purge system, and some other stuff.

The harnesses definitely aren't universal though, part numbers are different.
how does that 4th plug go to the dash harness?? does the dash harness clip in right there by the passenger foot well? I thought the dash harness exited on the driver side firewall.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
stackz said:
how does that 4th plug go to the dash harness?? does the dash harness clip in right there by the passenger foot well? I thought the dash harness exited on the driver side firewall.
That's right, it does both! There's a bracket bolted onto the ECU that a green dash harness plug clips into, then the green engine harness plug goes to it. It has the CEL signal wire and some other stuff.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts