Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be moving from California to North Carolina in a few weeks, and I wanted to do some maintenance on my car before I leave. But the thing is, I don't want to get stock replacment parts I might as well upgrade. I'm looking for good suggestions about what parts are better. So I'm hoping that people can give me brand names that are good, maybe a few reasons why they think they are good, and maybe an estimated price?

Oh, and I know that I can search for this as well (and I will!!!!) but it would be nice to hear some fresh opinions, and from Accord owners as well.

Here are the things I will do:
1)Change Spark Plugs -looking for some performance ones
2)Change Oil -well that's pretty basic
3)Change Brake fluid -It's would be nice to know if these fluids make a difference
4)Change Clutch Fluid
5)Get new brake lines -what are some nice steel ones?
6)Get new brake rotors - ok Brembo is good! But any other suggestions?
7)Clean the engine - I know about Seafoam, are there any other treatments?
8)Oh! New coolant too - do those make a difference?
Well I guess that is mostly it for now.
Please give me your suggestions.

·
Registered
201 Posts
For the Sparkplugs Go NGK Laser Platinum or DENSO Iridium those are great

If you're replacing the plug wires, MSD is good

for the brake fluid I'd say the factory DOT 3 is good (I've had some bad experiences with others in my Accords ABS system)

Brake Lines: Earl's Braided Lines

For the hard to clean spots on the engine GUN SCRUBBER works great but it's pretty pricey, keep it away from the plastic too, I've heard of it reacting with grips before. Just use the straw adapter and you should be fine. Wipe it really dry as well.

·
Registered
17,396 Posts
Here are the things I will do:
1)Change Spark Plugs -looking for some performance ones -ITR's came with NGK's
2)Change Oil -well that's pretty basic
3)Change Brake fluid - I suggest you just bleed them. no need to replace all the fluid
4)Change Clutch Fluid - that's motor oil, use mobil1 ful sync
5)Get new brake lines -what are some nice steel ones? - can't remember
6)Get new brake rotors - looking for blanks or slotted drilled? Brembo, Powerslots are good
7)Clean the engine - I know about Seafoam. dieasle will do. just pure that into the crank only, not in throttle/vaccume/fuel tank. and run the engine for about 10 miles and oil change. but just stick with seafoam. use about two cans.
8)Oh! New coolant too - do those make a difference? - are your current ones dirrty? then flush/replace them.

there u go.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks a lot everyone

Reactions: mad-ass

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
plusOnE said:
For the Sparkplugs Go NGK Laser Platinum or DENSO Iridium those are great

If you're replacing the plug wires, MSD is good

for the brake fluid I'd say the factory DOT 3 is good (I've had some bad experiences with others in my Accords ABS system)

Brake Lines: Earl's Braided Lines

For the hard to clean spots on the engine GUN SCRUBBER works great but it's pretty pricey, keep it away from the plastic too, I've heard of it reacting with grips before. Just use the straw adapter and you should be fine. Wipe it really dry as well.
as for spark plugs using Iridium won't help US with performance. just lasts longer than regular plugs. Some regular Champion or Bosch plugs will do. Goodridge makes good SS braided brake lines. Brake fluid DOT 3/4 will suffice. I do not see why Honda brake fluid would make your ABS act up since ABS has its own dedicated fluid resovoir. name of the game is called Preventive Maintenance. Timing belt/water pump, acc. belts, flsuh and fill coolant, replace tranny fluid, oil change(regularly), brakes(I recommend Brembo blank with quality pads), rotate/balance tires, good four wheel alignment, replace clutch if need and if you have a 5spd, make sure HVAC system in good condition, plugs/wires/distributor cap/rotor, and make sure nothing is loose

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.