Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so staying at redline in 5th gear isnt smart..anyways i have a nice loud knock on my engine.. its only when gas goes into the engine and the pistons move .. i think it might be a piston ring.. but hell i dont know much about engines.. what do you think it is. i wil have a video up after school and what should i buy to rebuidl it? if the cylindar walls are probably scored alot but anyways ill keep pictures comming up here with the whole rebuild.. hell maybe a write up if there isnt one yet.. anyways what are some cheap internals that still can withstant high heat ( i kno i shouldnt have said cheap but i want something not as pricey) well my budget is around 1.5 grand but you kno spending less would be great. i dont mind used parts as long as they are going to work... HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!:cool

·
Registered
13 Posts
learn your lesson?

anyhow, it's either that you have a bent crankshaft or bent camshaft. do not drive or start up anymore, you'll make it worse

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i was kidding about red lining in 5th but someone said that is was probably a rod.. theres a loud slapping sound around 2500-3500 rpm.. obviously im not driving the poor baby but i just need to kno if i need to tear apart the whole engine or if i can save it..

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
You could have piston slap..meaning you broke the skirt of your piston and its slapping against the cylinder walls.

The knocking could be a rod.

Its aint a bent camshaft,though he may have riuned some valves in the process.

Looks like you have to do a tear down..

Oh and you may have to get get it bored and sleeved if the scoring is deep.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
You're almost certainly better off swapping the motor out rather than tearing it down. A full engine build would probably take you a month or so if you haven't done it before (plus machining time).

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok well it was a simple problem and thats taken care of.. but i still want to rebuild the engine.. most of the header bolts came off (i dunno how) but still i got new ones and tightened them down and most of the bad noise is gone.. theres still a little bit... i was EXTREMELY low on oil.. i guess i burned some while being in vtec for most of the drive.. anyways i think rebuilding is a good option considering i never done any internal work before and it seems like fun.. so do you think any rebuild kit would do?
eBay Motors: Integra GSR Type R Engine Rebuild Kit B18C1 Vtec DOHC (item 150287366872 end time Sep-01-08 07:42:11 PDT) thats one that i was thinking of getting but i just still am searching what to do

·
Registered
13 Posts
with that kit, it's not going to lower the noise at all. it's just a tune up kit. but if you're going to take apart your motor, than it will be good to have that.

if you're going to be spending around $1000, i suggest you to just buy a motor. it'll save you time and hassle.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok if i had 7.5 grand i wouldnt have a del sol lol i would have a 240sx with a SR swap lol but since im 16 and the most i have saved up is 2 grand.. a swap isnt in the future.. anyways im pretty sure that the cylindar walls are scored.. lack of oil = bad... anyways i just need help on if i really do need a rebuild... cuz that money will go towards a project car.. 1985 mr2 that has no engine and no tranny sounds good to me

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
ummm that was in response to the guy who said you should get a k-swap. and who said you need you need 7k to get a 240 with an sr swap? nowhere near that expensive. you can pick up an already swapped car for 4500

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
In tampa we can get a full k swap with your own labor for 2k :rolleyes
i hope you aren't referring to a k20a3. they are garbage. seriously doubt you're getting any other k20 swaps for 2k, they go for about 5K on average. and i was talking parts and labor in the 7.5 K.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok so the engine swap is jsut not going to happen.. rebuilding sounds way more reasonable.. so are there are rebuild kits or do i have to piece together my own?

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
depends. do you want upgraded internals? you'd need rods, pistons, gaskets, bearings and seals rings, etc. shouldn't be hard. and yes there are basic rebuild kits

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so what would be in call?? would a rebuild kit from ebay be worth anything? also im pretty sure everything is good now.. so i dunno if im going to rebuild anything

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
In tampa we can get a full k swap with your own labor for 2k :rolleyes
damn, let me get like 5 full k20 swaps then. they arent a3 right? cause i already have a paper weight on my desk

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
damn, let me get like 5 full k20 swaps then. they arent a3 right? cause i already have a paper weight on my desk
i can almost certaintly say they are a3's. everytime i hear a claim of 2k for a k-series it ends up being the vtec-e bullshit a3

1 - 20 of 27 Posts