Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to set up 2 of my desktop computers. i recently bought a linksys speedbooaster broadband router and a wireless linksys usb network adapter for my 2nd desktop computer. what i want to do is basically share printer and only printer. i got the internet working and both computer but i cant seem to share the printer. i went to the home wizard networking crap and i did everything. both got same workgroup. turn off the window firewall. i also have mcafree firewall, should i turn that off to? i need step by step to how to get this working. should i just trade in the usb network adapter and get a wireless nic instead?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
mcafee firewall is probably part of your problem. also make sure that the two pc's are pulling the same class/range ip address.

·
Young&Dangerous
10,160 Posts
Do... \\YourComputersName (make shure your uesing \\) In any browser!
You'll find a Printers and Faxes
Locate printer right click and install!

Rep Me!!!

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
yes, make sure you 'install' that printer on your other computer. in some extreme cases you might need to install drivers/software on that computer as well in order to access it via a network. If you're only concern is the printer, you could have just hooked up a crossover cable to your router/hub from your computer to that 2nd computer and have accessed the printer that way. Best thing to do is to designate the printer on it's own port on the network and access it from that way.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
man i'm so confused with this crap. my other computer can see the computer i'm using. lets call the main one A and the other one B. B can see A on the network place but can't access it. computer A cannot see B whatso ever. as long as computer B can print i'm fine with that. the printer is a usb and is connected to computer A. if i turn off all the firewall, than my computer is not protected when i go online. so far i have never got any pop up due to mcafree firewall and i'm afraid if i turn it off, i might have a lot of pop up.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
one more thing. computer A goes to microsoft windows network but computer B since its going thru a usb network adapter is under microsoft wireless network under my network place. could that be the problem also?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
djcaseanova said:
yes, make sure you 'install' that printer on your other computer. in some extreme cases you might need to install drivers/software on that computer as well in order to access it via a network. If you're only concern is the printer, you could have just hooked up a crossover cable to your router/hub from your computer to that 2nd computer and have accessed the printer that way. Best thing to do is to designate the printer on it's own port on the network and access it from that way.
the printer run thru a usb port. i install the software into the other computer. i tried the //computername/printer and still cant find the printer. i don't want to run crossover cable because its in a different room and running cable around the house is a hassle. thats why i got it wireless. how would i hook up the printer to its own port on the network? i have to go and buy a printserve wireless too huh?

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
you're //blahblah// is wrong, it's \\blahblah\\

anyway... you shouldn't have a problem with the wiresless to wired network. but, it does sound as if there is a configuring problem between the two. Also, the firewall is probably most definitely the problem, you're going to have to try and do some IP configuring to allow access. Make sure you have all the correct protocols and clients installed in your networking properties under windows as well. That's where I had a problem. I had to have the adapters/tcp-ip/clients isntalled before I was capable of seeing computers on both ends. Also check your shared access on your main computer and secondary computer, so that they're allowing sharing of the printer and make sure you have a shared folder of some sort or shared drive where you may be able to place that shared printer into if need be. it's really hard to diagnose without actually seeing the computer, and im a certified network tech

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i thought when you run the home networking wizard, it would do all that. the IP configuration is clueless to me. i both computer disable windows firewall, both have tcp/ip protocol basically, it communicate by going online. but it won't read each other. i'll try to disable my firewall but i'm just afraid of getting pop up because i haven't got any pop up or adware on my computer after i formatted my pc due to having the firewall running.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
94accordex4u said:
i thought when you run the home networking wizard, it would do all that. the IP configuration is clueless to me. i both computer disable windows firewall, both have tcp/ip protocol basically, it communicate by going online. but it won't read each other. i'll try to disable my firewall but i'm just afraid of getting pop up because i haven't got any pop up or adware on my computer after i formatted my pc due to having the firewall running.
firewalls do not prevent popups. firewalls prevent people and programs from accessing data on your computer. and software firewalls are pretty lame at doing so. figure if someone is good enough to get into your internal network a software firewall is only going to take them another 5 minutes to get around.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
before when i didn't use firewall, i got so many pop ups and advertisement when i'm still using adaware, spybot. ever since i format my pc and put firewall on it along w/adaware and spybot. i haven't encounter any pop up or advertisement for the past 6 months. *knock on wood*. as for the printer, is it best if i get a print server? i saw one at frys online for like 20 bux. its an usb print server by airlink. i dont really care if it suck or not, as long as people in my household can see the print server or printer on the network and print without having my computer turn on or all those networking nightmare. what do you guys think? get a print server or try tackling this?

·
Registered
80 Posts
5gencivic said:
firewalls do not prevent popups. firewalls prevent people and programs from accessing data on your computer. and software firewalls are pretty lame at doing so. figure if someone is good enough to get into your internal network a software firewall is only going to take them another 5 minutes to get around.
The pop-ups I think he was referring to were the windows messenger popups and not IE popups - a firewall would definately prevent those from coming up. Software firewalls are a useful tool, though not necessarily the only one that you would want to use.

Since you are behind a router, you should not have the problems of these popups or someone directly accessing your computer as long as you don't set it up in the DMZ. Make sure that you are sharing your printer and try turning off all software firewalls on the computers and see if that works. If it does, then you will just need to add a rule to the firewall to allow 445/tcp and possibly 137/udp inbound (from the internal IP range that the router assigns) to the computer sharing the printer. I have never used the McAfee firewall, but they probably have some sort of wizard or common rules to use.

edit: if you can find a network-based print server for cheap, it would probably be pretty easy to set up and get going. I think those things are pretty much plug in and go.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah i saw one from frys online site for $20. its a usb adapter which is wireless. its from airlink i think 1 port. just what i needed. i don't know if i should buy it from their online site because at the store i went to, it was going for $50 i think for the same thing they advertise online.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
woah people are going nutts here. First off you need to disable McAfee's firewall.

You want too avoid popups download mozilla firefox and use that instead of IE

Now make sure file and print sharing are installed under your connection properties along with tcp/ip, and client for microsoft networks

Right click on the printer on the machine it is installed on and select properties. Turn printer sharing on

Now you should be able to browse to the other machine using my network places, and just double click on the printer

If you are getting an access denied after all these steps try setting up the same username on both computers and using that name to initiate the connection, Ive found i needed to do that at my parents where they run one window 98 machine.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
alright, i'll try doing that right now and i'll let you guys know what the outcome will be. if not, then i mite as well get a print server w/a usb and that would b easier. if i decided to go thru w/the network place w/out the print server, does my pc have to be on if they decide to print something from the other computer?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
94accordex4u said:
alright, i'll try doing that right now and i'll let you guys know what the outcome will be. if not, then i mite as well get a print server w/a usb and that would b easier. if i decided to go thru w/the network place w/out the print server, does my pc have to be on if they decide to print something from the other computer?

Yes, you need to have the PC hard wired to the printer turned on to use the printer itself.

Think about electricity and wear and tear on the PC itself. What is more cost effective? If you rarely print or the PC is only being turned on for printing you might as well hook the printer to your laptop, buy a separate printer, or a network adaptor for the printer.

If you print a lot and the print server computer is on most of the time anyways...Dont waste the money on additional components.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
first off, i tried what all you guys told me. it failed. both computer got the same name. both got tcp/ip. i turn off the window firewall on both computers. turn off mcafree on my computer( comp A). both got file sharing and printer enable. i enable printer sharing in comp A. both got client for microsoft windows. comp A only see itself and can't see comp B. Comp B see both, itself and comp A. try to click on Comp A and it was denied. oh yeah both computer were sharing files also. man it still didn't work. i just gave up after that. could it be that one is on lan while the other is on a usb wireless adapter?

we hardly use the printer but i just want it more convience for my sister to just print from her room instead of saving the file onto a disk and bringing it to Comp A. Comp A computer is always on because i'm basically listening to music most of the time and surfing superhonda <=). i'm bum out, i should just go with the print server huh? just find the cheapest one out their and grab it.

oh i download mozilla firefox, that shit is awesome. even tho i get no spyware or pop up from my IE, this is amazing, its quicker than IE.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
94accordex4u said:
first off, i tried what all you guys told me. it failed. both computer got the same name. both got tcp/ip. i turn off the window firewall on both computers. turn off mcafree on my computer( comp A). both got file sharing and printer enable. i enable printer sharing in comp A. both got client for microsoft windows. comp A only see itself and can't see comp B. Comp B see both, itself and comp A. try to click on Comp A and it was denied. oh yeah both computer were sharing files also. man it still didn't work. i just gave up after that. could it be that one is on lan while the other is on a usb wireless adapter?

we hardly use the printer but i just want it more convience for my sister to just print from her room instead of saving the file onto a disk and bringing it to Comp A. Comp A computer is always on because i'm basically listening to music most of the time and surfing superhonda <=). i'm bum out, i should just go with the print server huh? just find the cheapest one out their and grab it.

oh i download mozilla firefox, that shit is awesome. even tho i get no spyware or pop up from my IE, this is amazing, its quicker than IE.

What OS are your machines running? What is brand/model is your router? If i was there i could get it but from what you explain you have done everything right.

edit: sorry im going to bed. but if you hit me off with the info ill check it out tommorrow morning and see what setup requires for your configuration and hit you off with the settings that should make it work

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
os i'm using is XP SP1 i think since i download a patch a few month ago. router is linksys wireless g w/speedbooster. the usb wireless adapter is linksys wireless g also. hope this helps

1 - 20 of 33 Posts