Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I totalled my 97 DX coupe about a month ago, and Im about to buy a 99 Si. My DX remained completely stock, but Id like to push a little more out of my Si. Ive owned a more powerful car before, (97 mustang gt), so Im not worried about the abrupt change from the underpowered DX to the sporty Si, Im just not much of the engine type, and wouldnt know where to start.

Any help would be appreciated. Also, I plan on lowering the car to a more agressive stance, but Im worried about damaging the body. Can anyone tell me how low is safe for daily driving. Or is there a way to adjust the stance from inside the car (like hydraulics but without the whole bouncing thing, just two stances, stock, and low). Thanks again in advance

· Registered
1,840 Posts
Well first of all congrats,

And if you were thinking of mods, for performance you can always start w/ the basics cold air intake and full cat back exhaust from their its whereever u what to take it just do some research to see where u want to go. As far as lowering the cars the only way i know of controling the height from inside the car is w/ airbags replace all of your suspension w/ air cyl and then u have a compressor which u can then adjust the ride height and soft or firmness of the ride.

Good luck hope that answered some of ?

:D

· Registered
248 Posts
when i first started getting into imports around '96, i started reading super street and i pretty much learned everything from that magazine and websites.... if your thinking of an adjustable ride height, you can also look into adjustable coilovers.

· Registered
344 Posts
How serious u wanna get?? Turbo, supercharged, nitrous, bolt on's, all motor?????? Make up your mind how much money you are willing to spend on the car in the longrun before u buy anything. Making plans is the way to go, will save u loot!

· Premium Member
9,316 Posts
Before you buy anything, make sure you plan out exactly what you want out of the car. Don't just go and buy stuff.

A good start is the suspension, if I were you I wold get some springs and struts. Start there, then decide if you want to go N/A or FI.

Good luck, and welcome.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For now the cosmetic aspects are pretty much my focus. Like I said, the performance part is something im gonna have to research and plan out, but i definitely would like to squeeze some extra power out of the car. I have a question about adjustable coilovers. I thought that they had to be manually adjusted from outside the car.....am i mistaken? And would using airbags and cylinders for adjusting the height interfere with the cars ability to perform race wise? Id at least like to be able to drag with my friends every now and then, so i might just end up having to sacrifice and not lower the car as much as id like to.

Thanks for all the comments and help!

· Registered
10 Posts
hal0gen said:
For now the cosmetic aspects are pretty much my focus. Like I said, the performance part is something im gonna have to research and plan out, but i definitely would like to squeeze some extra power out of the car. I have a question about adjustable coilovers. I thought that they had to be manually adjusted from outside the car.....am i mistaken? And would using airbags and cylinders for adjusting the height interfere with the cars ability to perform race wise? Id at least like to be able to drag with my friends every now and then, so i might just end up having to sacrifice and not lower the car as much as id like to.

Thanks for all the comments and help!
Like what v00tecsi said, a good start is the suspension.

What type of coilovers are you planning to get? Well there is 2 types of coilovers.. 1. coilover sleeves (Ground Control and Skunk2) and 2. Full dampers like (Apex'i WS and H&R dampers). If you are going with coilover sleeves, I highly suggest upgrading your shocks as well.

· Registered
430 Posts
If you're going to go with coilovers, go with a true coilover set-up(coilover sleeve and shock in one piece, along with full hieght adjustability). I have the Tanabe Sustec's on my car and they're pretty bad-ass. As you do research on products, you'll find Tanabe is top-notch for Hondas. They're a little pricy, but for the quality you get, and reliability, you can't go wrong. Im not knocking sleeves and shocks fellas for those who have the combos. I just felt a little more secure with the true coilovers(and saved my ass off for them). Hope this helped,
Chris

· Registered
302 Posts
I personally would stay away from the airbag/hydrolic(sp?) suspension. A good spring and shock combo will give you a good ride and a low stance. I have a sleeve-on-shock coilover suspension on my car and I like it a lot. It lets me raise the car for the winter snow and slam it for summer and show. You will not be able to adjust them from inside the car but I don't think it is worth the pains of having a suspension like that in you car. Just my opnion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.