Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this the end for front airbags? A new device that turns ordinary seatbelts into miniature safety nets could see them abandoned.

The invention comes from safety company Autoliv. The net is stored in the seatbelt's catch unit near the car's handbrake. When sensors detect a head-on collision, two sausage-shaped airbags explode out and move across the occupant. One rides over the waist belt, while the other slides up the shoulder.

Connected to both is a triangular web of strong fibres, which spreads out to cover the occupant's chest and stomach. Autoliv's Jan Huibert Valkenburg claims it holds passengers in place, eliminating the need for front airbags.

There's an extra benefit, too. Replacing airbags after they have been deployed in an accident can add hundreds of pounds to repair bills, possibly even pushing the cost beyond the vehicle's write-off value.

The price to replace a new seatbelt catch unit system would be far lower. Although the set-up has been patented, don't expect to see it appear in cars for several years. Current laws specify vehicles must have airbags, and there would have to be huge changes in legislation before the seatbelt safety net replaces current technology.

autoexpress

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Moon Ill said:
I'm still waiting for that foamy stuff from demolition man :).
Me too, I want my car to turn into a flying canolli.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Moon Ill said:
I'm still waiting for that foamy stuff from demolition man :).
i watched a japanese anime EX-Driver where all the cars are fully automated. and they have airbags all around front side rear.. dat sound more possible since some countries start using automatic drivin system so the driver doesnt have to drive just sit there

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
dodolaje said:
i watched a japanese anime EX-Driver where all the cars are fully automated. and they have airbags all around front side rear.. dat sound more possible since some countries start using automatic drivin system so the driver doesnt have to drive just sit there
Yea I watched that too. I wonder why in almost every anime the cars have Recaros, yet in my CRX... well nevermind. Yea the automatic driving stuff would be awsome, all except when you want to control you car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.