Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

· Registered
3,077 Posts
d series is the problem :ninja

Fubar the install ya think? comp check?

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
Comp cam 59300. D16y8 bored .5 over with a shaved head and ported polished.
did you tune the cam. are you running a stock ecu? did you do valvetrain work to use the cam. did you extend the rev limiter to the operating parameters of the cam?

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The install went fine and the engine sounds great. I have the stock ecu. I didnt use valvetrain work because i have heard many people who have boosted with this cam for years with no valvetrain work and they never had problems. The rev limiter is stock but i should feel power before than anyway

· Registered
10,346 Posts
"stock ecu" theres your problem. TUNE. Only way a performance cam will ever see the fuel and ignition timing it needs. play around with the disty mounting (rotates a lil via the 3 mounting bolts) also play around with your cam timing gear. if you dont have one, get one.

TUNE. get some bigger injectors. OEM fuel rail and fuel pump can support the extra 15hp you can squeeze out with proper tuning. Fuel injectorsb are perfectly matched to the car, hence why I suggest bigger ones. OEM ignition with NGK plugs and wires will work also

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Also, with a cam upgrade, you should have a cold air intke and header to pull some more power out. but the D series motors demand tuning for proper performance.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
The install went fine and the engine sounds great. I have the stock ecu. I didnt use valvetrain work because i have heard many people who have boosted with this cam for years with no valvetrain work and they never had problems. The rev limiter is stock but i should feel power before than anyway
what does boost have to do with your valvetrain. typically to take advantage of a more aggressive cam you need to do to things....up your comp ratio and extend your rev limiter....the stock valvetrain isn't the best idea for such a thing. and why are you running the car untuned?

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree that i wont seas good as results without a tune but the car shouldnt be WORSE than it was before. And stock injectors should be more than enough to support anything besides forced induction. I already have NGK plugs. I also played around with the distributor to no avail

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
I agree that i wont seas good as results without a tune but the car shouldnt be WORSE than it was before. And stock injectors should be more than enough to support anything besides forced induction. I already have NGK plugs. I also played around with the distributor to no avail
on a map car it could be worse. hence why you have to re-tune whenever you add any parts. are you throwing a cel. do you have a cam gear?

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
Im running untuned because it is not worth it to get it tuned yet and i plan on boosting soon, so im waiting
why would you put a "stage 2" cam in the motor if you're gonna boost it and you don't even have a cam gear? what other mods do you have on the car. you should really upload a car and parts list like the rest of the members

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
Everyone else i read who bought this cam felt gains. There is no CEL and i dont think a cam gear is worth it for a single cam
felt gains? like with a butt dyno? a cam gear lets you tune out valve overlap which is what n/a cams cause. more aggressive cams have more overlap. overlap causes boost to shoot through the head and be wasted. the best cams for linear turbo power are usually stock cams or turbo cam.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Like i said, i talked to a few people who have boosted with this cam no problem. I just posted my parts above. Im not looking to upload a parts list nor do i have the time. I just wanna be in and out. Im just looking for some suggestions

· Registered
10,346 Posts
No point in getting a new cam if you cant dial it in for best performance. Get an adjustable cam gear, take the car to a tuner, and watch your car act like its on steriods. If your gonna add a performance part to you car, you have to make sure the car can even run with it. The fact your power is pretty much cut off at 3 grand is more then enough evidence that your car needa a new cam gear. The adjustable ones will allow you to move your powerband around, in this case, move it higher.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
Like i said, i talked to a few people who have boosted with this cam no problem. I just posted my parts above. Im not looking to upload a parts list nor do i have the time. I just wanna be in and out. Im just looking for some suggestions
1. you talked to people? did they show you a dynograph before and after this cam was installed

2. i didn't want you to upload a parts list :hehe. there is a mod list you can put in your profile. that way people won't have to ask the same questions over and over again.

3. why did you get a catback, header, and a stage 2 n/a cam for a car you're going to boost? the stock cam probably makes more linear power than the stage 2 cam you bought

4. we listed the possible reason why your car isn't working. what are the cam specs to begin with. you might need a cam gear valvetrain and some tuning. if you over cam your setup it will be slower. cams aren't like a turbo where the bigger it is the more power you make.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.