Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

New cam, no power

9K views 132 replies 8 participants last post by  Shafto 
Comp cam 59300. D16y8 bored .5 over with a shaved head and ported polished.
did you tune the cam. are you running a stock ecu? did you do valvetrain work to use the cam. did you extend the rev limiter to the operating parameters of the cam?

The install went fine and the engine sounds great. I have the stock ecu. I didnt use valvetrain work because i have heard many people who have boosted with this cam for years with no valvetrain work and they never had problems. The rev limiter is stock but i should feel power before than anyway
what does boost have to do with your valvetrain. typically to take advantage of a more aggressive cam you need to do to things....up your comp ratio and extend your rev limiter....the stock valvetrain isn't the best idea for such a thing. and why are you running the car untuned?

I agree that i wont seas good as results without a tune but the car shouldnt be WORSE than it was before. And stock injectors should be more than enough to support anything besides forced induction. I already have NGK plugs. I also played around with the distributor to no avail
on a map car it could be worse. hence why you have to re-tune whenever you add any parts. are you throwing a cel. do you have a cam gear?

Im running untuned because it is not worth it to get it tuned yet and i plan on boosting soon, so im waiting
why would you put a "stage 2" cam in the motor if you're gonna boost it and you don't even have a cam gear? what other mods do you have on the car. you should really upload a car and parts list like the rest of the members

Everyone else i read who bought this cam felt gains. There is no CEL and i dont think a cam gear is worth it for a single cam
felt gains? like with a butt dyno? a cam gear lets you tune out valve overlap which is what n/a cams cause. more aggressive cams have more overlap. overlap causes boost to shoot through the head and be wasted. the best cams for linear turbo power are usually stock cams or turbo cam.

Like i said, i talked to a few people who have boosted with this cam no problem. I just posted my parts above. Im not looking to upload a parts list nor do i have the time. I just wanna be in and out. Im just looking for some suggestions
1. you talked to people? did they show you a dynograph before and after this cam was installed

2. i didn't want you to upload a parts list :hehe. there is a mod list you can put in your profile. that way people won't have to ask the same questions over and over again.

3. why did you get a catback, header, and a stage 2 n/a cam for a car you're going to boost? the stock cam probably makes more linear power than the stage 2 cam you bought

4. we listed the possible reason why your car isn't working. what are the cam specs to begin with. you might need a cam gear valvetrain and some tuning. if you over cam your setup it will be slower. cams aren't like a turbo where the bigger it is the more power you make.

I plan on getting it all tuned when i boost. Can i just ask what valve float feels like? Because its higher RPMs which is where im having problems which would bring valve float to my attention because the valves cannot seat as fast as the bigger cam is spinning
power falls off with valve float. and why do you think i asked why are you running a stage 2 cam on stock valvetrain? and for the last time what are this specs on this cam? stage 2 doesn't mean anything, it varies from company to company.

lastly don't complain about why the car sucks if you're going to half-ass it. you didn't get it tuned and you're running on the stock valvetrain. you can't have your cake and eat it too.

I was just wondering if this sounds like valve float so i dont go spending money on springs for no reason
no reason? there is a reason they recommend upgrading your valve train when you get a much more aggressive cam over stock. and if you would tell me the specs on the cam it would let us know if you should be getting valve float

I plan on getting it all tuned when i boost.
lastly don't complain about why the car sucks if you're going to half-ass it. you didn't get it tuned and you're running on the stock valvetrain. you can't have your cake and eat it too.
he doesn't want to tune it but wants it to work

I should getting a SAFC neo2 and wideband soon anyway. Yes it is a stock ecu. So what. Like i said i am not getting it tuned yet. Who are you anyway amd why are you talking down to me. Just cuz the forum says "noob" doesnt mean im a newb in real life. Its a forum dont take it so literally. Im not a dumb ass with cars, i have been under an apprenticeship with a mechanic for over a year now.
you're gonna tune a motor build with a piggy back :lmao

ummm you are a noob with or without the title. he knows alot more than you or i about building motors. so what you're with a mechanic. a mechanic fixes things a tuner/builder builds things. besides do you know how many stupid mechanics there are out there?

Im not revving to 10k i am revving to redline. This is off topic. The point is i shouldnt feel a loss in power. Every forum i see there are always immature people flaming left and right for no reason, when in the end the question never gets answered. I dont mean any disrespect to amyone. And god forbid an ametuer ever did post on here i mean... isnt that what forums are for?
he told you what was wrong. it's more aggressive than the stock cam and you're running a stock ecu not meant to handle the parameters of the cam. so it freaks out and pulls timing

IK he knows alot more bout tuning, thats why im on this forum. And i wouldnt ask for an apprenticship under a shitty mechanic
what does a mechanic have to do with building cars. mechanics repair cars to stock performance. not much of a science once the task has been named. building a car is completely different

Holy shit you typed all that just for me? Props *****. Anyway, the stock injectors are more than enough for my setup. And i never heard anyone having to swap their ecu for this kind of cam
swap:confused
who all do you get your info from?

What im saying is im not ignoarant about cars so you dont have to call me a ricer. And it is not a huge cam and i am not expecting "12whp" Just not -12whp
where did i say you were a ricer. and if you weren't expecting any real gain then why swap the cam? i'm confused

NO, the stock fuel injectors are 100% matched to your stock engine, and header and intake even can make you run lean, LET ALONE A FUCKING CAM

do yourself a favor, read that info that was written FOR YOUR BENEFIT. Dont ever buy a fucking cam, let alone install it, unless you got your research down. Friggin idiot
be nice he didn't mouth off anybody

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.