Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.....I'm gonna be a daddy:D . This is why I sold all of my mods and the CRVTEC that was ready for turbo.....anyways, due to the new gift that is soon to be in my life (late March), I've been looking for a digital still camera. I had my eye on the Canon A70, but after thinking about it, I think I'm gonna want a digital movie camera instead (gotta catch those special moments with sound and video;) ). I've been looking for a decent mini DV camcorder and was wondering what you guys would reccomend. What is the advantage of a mini DV over a Digital 8? I also want a camcorder that takes decent still shots if possible. I really can't afford more than $1k.....am I asking for too much camera for too little $$? I really know nothing about camcorders, so any advice as far as brands, formats, prices would all be appreciated.....thanks in advance guys.

Eddie

Edit: Oops.....wrong forum....sorry about that.....if a moderator would like to move this to the correct forum, please feel free to do so.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
well i was gonna suggest the canon eplh s400. it's a 4mp digicam with all this other features on it. but since u want a mini camcorder well i don't really know much there :D sorry..

but concrats though. buying that accord soon eH? :D

·
Registered
838 Posts
well if your budget is under 1k .. u can get an A70 which takes excellent pictures and a digital camcorder for under 1k im sure .. unless u dont wanna get both, since its one or the other. with digital camera, u get great photos and ok mpegs. camcorders, u get great video and ok photos. :)

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
if you don't want to spend too much and you want a good digital camcorder my recommendation would be the Canon ZR60/65/70 or the Sony TRV19/22/33. any of those are very good camcorders with the canons being cheaper with slightly better zoom.
in my opinion the ZR70 is the sweet spot right now because it comes standard with a 3hour battery and most of the cables you need from the box.
i work at best buy and sell these things all day. on average we get about 3 people who come back every month and return their cameras. 2 of those people went to weddings and eat a restocking fee and the other person just doesn't want to figure out how to work the camera... which is pathetic 'cause it's really easy. /shrug

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, keep them coming. Also, I've heard that you have to have firewire to connect a mini DV camcorder to your computer....is this true? I don't have firewire on my computer, only usb. Is there such a thing as a firewire pci card? Or would I have to get a new mobo to get firewire? Thanks again.

Eddie

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
fire wire pci cards are very common. most cameras next year will be switching form usb 1.1 and firewire connections to USB 2.0 connections.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts