Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I picked up a 1991 Acura Integra LS Special Edition. Its got DC Sport headers, Greddy exhaust, lowered 1.75" with Eibach springs. Sorry, i probably mangled the spelling of that. Anyway, this things still got the stock 14" rims on there. The first thing im doing is getting new ones. Im thinking 16", but Id like to keep the same outside diameter. What tire dimensions would I need for a 16X7" rim? Is 7" too wide? Im 16, and im just learning with cars (been riding/working on bikes since i was 13). If so, what would you recommend? Thanks a lot. :D

·
Registered
342 Posts
Wow... you dont know much about cars, but I guess you've been in a bike world all your life. 205 is the width, 40 is the % of the width that is your sidewall. Ugly is subjective, I really dont care as to how the brakes look underneath, they're not exactly super spiffy like the cross drilled ones on the bikes you see. Just consider them ugly in comparison to bike brakes.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
205/45/16 is a closer match to 195/60/14.

205/45/16 = 23.1-23.3"
195/60/14 = 23.0-23.2"
205/40/16 = 22.3-22.7"

Like bicycles, even though the width is a specific numerical measurement, one company's 205 might be significantly wider than another's 205, just like one company's 2.1"-wide mountain bike tire can be way bigger than another's 2.1". For instance the Falken Azenis 205 an be up to 220mm wide in reality.

And yeah your brakes will start to look pretty shitty. :(

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
White98LS said:
205/45/16 is a closer match to 195/60/14.

205/45/16 = 23.1-23.3"
195/60/14 = 23.0-23.2"
205/40/16 = 22.3-22.7"

Like bicycles, even though the width is a specific numerical measurement, one company's 205 might be significantly wider than another's 205, just like one company's 2.1"-wide mountain bike tire can be way bigger than another's 2.1". For instance the Falken Azenis 205 an be up to 220mm wide in reality.

And yeah your brakes will start to look pretty shitty. :(
yeah, i was gonna say i have 205/45 on my 16s

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice. Yeah, im a bike guy- this is my first car. So the 205/45's will give me the same outside diameter (ie it wont screw with the odometer or speedo)?

As for the brakes, will they be noticeable? If you cant really see them, i dont care. They dont have to be pretty, as long as theyre not an eyesore that detracts from the whole wheel.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
16x7

205/45 will do you fine...what kind rim manufacturer are you goin with?

I had forged aluminum 16" rims on 205/40 and 500miles later bent rims. Remember you need some cushion for the pushin' :D

too much low profile is bad

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would it be better to go with a 15" and get bigger sidewalls? I dont want them to be like 1" sidewall lowpros. If 16" will give me a problem, ill go 15. Cheaper rims, cheaper tires, no complaint here. I dont want to spend more then like 100 a rim, so my options are limited. Im thinking 7 spoke though.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, 16 would look best, however since its lowered, would 15" look just as good?

Side note- my emblem is destroyed, and the previous owner gave me a brand new one to put on. I see its put on with adhesive, and two little rods. Am I supposed to just rip the old one off? If so, how? If not, whats the proper way to do it?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Sirfallsalot243 said:
Also, 16 would look best, however since its lowered, would 15" look just as good?

Side note- my emblem is destroyed, and the previous owner gave me a brand new one to put on. I see its put on with adhesive, and two little rods. Am I supposed to just rip the old one off? If so, how? If not, whats the proper way to do it?

Thanks guys.

I changed my ugly gold emblems to silver ones, i gently pulled them off, cleaned the remaining adhesive with alcohol, then stuck the new one on.

i think you can also use the heat gun method...use a blow dryer (not too hot or it will jack up the paint) and heat the emblem until the adhesive gives. then clean the remaining adhesive, then apply the new emblem.
ive never used the latter method, is that how you do it?

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
For emblems... hairdryer and floss. That's all you'll need.

As far as 15" vs. 16", all depends on the look and performance you want. 15"s are better performance-wise because 16"s are unnecessarily big and heavy, but 16"s won't kill you either. I have 16"s and 205/45 for street and 15"s with 205/50 for race, lowered about 2.1" front and 1.5" rear, I like the look of the 16"s better but some of my more hardcore-race friends like the look of the 15"s better.

You be the judge:
15":

16":

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey thanks for the comparison. Im thinking I like the 16" better, however I live in Pennsylvania. If youve ever driven here, the roads are shit. Im bound to bend any rim with low pros. I think ill go 15". So what size widewalls would I want? Large enough to prevent bending the rims, keeping in mine the roads here blow?

I really hate how low the car is. I scraped a rock yesterday resulting in a new oil pan. I guess it will take some getting used to.

Thanks for the tips on the emblem, will do.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
I've heard the roads around there are horrible, but I have driven on some horrible roads here too, with some bumps that I could have sworn would break/bend something. With my 205/45/16s I've been ok. Also note that I have stiffer spring rates/swaybars/shocks and lower ride height than you (380/350 spring rates with Konis and thicker swaybars).

·
Registered
4 Posts
16" should be fine with 205/45.. I don't think bending your rim is an issue with that setup. I personally like Rota rims but everyone is different. If you are looking for 15" then why not GS-R blades...

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
I dont think roads could get any worse than they are around here. Thats why I went with a small drop and stock rims.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.