Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a stage 2 grip force clutch in saturday and got my flywheel resurfaced at the same time.

Question 1, Now it does this stuttering thing when i take off or downshift. Is that just the new shit breaking in?

Question 2, What is the proper way to bleed the clutch system?
We used the little hand held bleeder device and attached it the the valve on the tranny. then pumped new fluid into it until the resivior was full at the top. Pumped the clutch a few times and refilled it aqain, from bottom up. Now my clutch takes like a pound of pressure and it goes straight to the floor, its comes right back up but i thought it was going to be stiffer, not more mushy and softer?

Thanks peeps.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
it shouldn't chatter..are you sure you're releasing it smoothly? Also...you might just not be used to a stage 2...that's pretty grippy.

BTW why'd you get a stage 2? That's more than you will ever need.

Also...make sure to break it in..be very easy on it and shift gently at lower RPM's for 500 miles.

and sorry can't answer your second question.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gurusan said:
it shouldn't chatter..are you sure you're releasing it smoothly? Also...you might just not be used to a stage 2...that's pretty grippy.

BTW why'd you get a stage 2? That's more than you will ever need.

Also...make sure to break it in..be very easy on it and shift gently at lower RPM's for 500 miles.

and sorry can't answer your second question.

the first day it was in, it drove like it was an oem clutch. the second day (sunday) it was grabbing harder already but if i try to fade the clutch really slow, its shudders, im guessing this is because its not supposed to be faded.....

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
yeah a stage 2 should grab pretty hard. Still you should be able to shift smoothly after practice. Just try to take it easy on the clutch for the break in period.

on a stage 2 you can shift smoothly, but not slowly.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gurusan said:
yeah a stage 2 should grab pretty hard. Still you should be able to shift smoothly after practice. Just try to take it easy on the clutch for the break in period.

on a stage 2 you can shift smoothly, but not slowly.

after i read this i went out and tried to drive it like normal, just shifting a little faster and DAMN!! its like a whole new car, i love it, maybe now i can launch like an ls/vtec should. (once its broken in of course)

·
Registered
33,541 Posts
bah, you dont need no brake in time on a clutch, every clutch i have done, and done in my car, has been driven hard since, and they are all still rockin

the proper way to bleed the clutch is to put a drain hose on the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder and sit there and pump the pedal with your hand till there is no more air in the system, always remembering to keep an eye on the clutch master cylinder resivore so you dont run the system dry and have to bleed all over again. as soon as you get all the air out, close the valve then party

·
Registered
9 Posts
gurusan said:
don't launch til its broken in! I can't stress this enough!
THUMBS UP

BFK_SI_EG said:
bah, you dont need no brake in time on a clutch, every clutch i have done, and done in my car, has been driven hard since, and they are all still rockin
THUMBS DOWN

I've seen a new performance clutch (reputable JDM brand) completley dissintegrate into dust within one week of being installed thanks to not correctly wearing-IN the clutch disc.

I bedded in the same clutch to my car in the correct manner as reccomended by the factory (~700kms) before I did one half-decent launch. it was HARD to not launch in this time I admit, but now months later she seems to just keep getting more bitey than ever before.. it definately hasnt faded.

I am assuming your clutch is a single-disc type, but if it was a multi-plate or button-face clutch, there may be some chattering apon engagement and disengagment. Even a single disc may give SOME chatter if it's a good grippy disc.

alternatively, if you have perhaps confused your diagnosis of 'chatter', and if you retained your old OEM clutch-release bearring (thust/throwout bearring) it may be worn and with the extra stress of your new up-rated clutch disc, may cause the bearring journals to have some movement and thus create some excess noise and vibration.

if you had your flywheel removed, you may need to re-check that the bolts have been torqued to the correct specifications and sequence.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
VT3Chnique said:
THUMBS UP

THUMBS DOWN

I've seen a new performance clutch (reputable JDM brand) completley dissintegrate into dust within one week of being installed thanks to not correctly wearing-IN the clutch disc.

I bedded in the same clutch to my car in the correct manner as reccomended by the factory (~700kms) before I did one half-decent launch. it was HARD to not launch in this time I admit, but now months later she seems to just keep getting more bitey than ever before.. it definately hasnt faded.

I am assuming your clutch is a single-disc type, but if it was a multi-plate or button-face clutch, there may be some chattering apon engagement and disengagment. Even a single disc may give SOME chatter if it's a good grippy disc.

alternatively, if you have perhaps confused your diagnosis of 'chatter', and if you retained your old OEM clutch-release bearring (thust/throwout bearring) it may be worn and with the extra stress of your new up-rated clutch disc, may cause the bearring journals to have some movement and thus create some excess noise and vibration.

if you had your flywheel removed, you may need to re-check that the bolts have been torqued to the correct specifications and sequence.

its getting better and better about the chattering every day. I think i was trying to ease into it too much, im not launching it at all and i replaced everything from the disc to the throw out bearing. all bran new. along with resurfacing the flywheel, theres alot of breaking in to do so now that theres 110 miles on it, its already getting grippy, but im stayin out of it just because i cant afford a screwed up clutch...

Reactions: gurusan

·
Registered
33,541 Posts
gurusan said:
I saw a stage 1 exedy disc that was worn all unevenly because it wasn't broken in properly.
well, my clutch is 4 years old, and still has never slipped or made any noises and i have been beating on it since day 1

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BFK_SI_EG said:
i do what i want!!

and break in is not one of the things i want :p

damn, cartman is a mod now?????

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well well well, since kyle mom mya is a bitch........sorry i had to.... :clap

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.