Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the title describes, I just got done putting a new clutch in my car. Save for a couple minor things that I have to change out like a couple ball joints and an axle seal on the tranny, everything is back together.

Here's the problem, when I push on the clutch pedal, nothing happens. It goes to the floor and stays there until I lift it up. It doesn't seem like the clutch master is doing anything, but it worked fine like 3 days ago when I started taking this apart. Is it possible that it crapped out in that time somehow?

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
210 Posts
you have to pump it manually with your hand and have someone else bleed it. if you took it off and didnt bleed it when you put it back you will need to bleed it.

the pedal has a spring on it so you have to pull it back the first half of bleeding it untill it starts pushing back then you can bleed it the regular way.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
bob12345 said:
should I be able to manually depress the plunger on the slave cylinder? If I do I can see the fluid level rise in the resevoir. Is that right?
Hehehehee, this happens to all of us... I was curious with the same thing but common sense told me to keep at it. Here is my two cents...
  1. get a pretty big cup and place it "steady" right below the Slave Cylinder Bleed Screw so that nothing squirts to unwanted places.
  2. Hand tight the screw, once it is tight just open it a little bid for flow to come out but you want to restrict the more you can... in other words you want flow continuous flow in the line but the least spill.
  3. Leave the Clutch Master Cylinder reservoir open and constantly verify that it is not empty of fluid because you will go throuth everything again. Just keep pouring brake fluid in there.
  4. Then, it is very tedious and it is best to have someone spotting the progress on the fluid at the Slave Cylinder. Just bleed it like if it was the brakes... and yes at the beginning it will stay down there.
  5. Be certain that at some point the Slave Cylinder will move but not freely, at this point with your hand and the bleed screw opened tell a friend to step on the clutch pedal and with your hand squeeze back the Slave Cylinder (this will relieve the trapped air inside ;))
  6. Eventually, the trick is that the cup will begin to build up fast which means that almost all the air has been pushed out the line.
  7. At this point close it and tell a friend to press on the pedal like if it was bleeding the brakes and stay on the pedal, open and close.
  8. Keep doing this while pouring the Brake Fluid.
  9. Your friend will begin to feel it hard and you'll see the Slave Cylinder move.
  10. Stop when you feel that there is no more air and the stiffness will be final when the Reservoir is covered.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Freakin'H22A said:
Hehehehee, this happens to all of us... I was curious with the same thing but common sense told me to keep at it. Here is my two cents...
  1. get a pretty big cup and place it "steady" right below the Slave Cylinder Bleed Screw so that nothing squirts to unwanted places.
  2. Hand tight the screw, once it is tight just open it a little bid for flow to come out but you want to restrict the more you can... in other words you want flow continuous flow in the line but the least spill.
  3. Leave the Clutch Master Cylinder reservoir open and constantly verify that it is not empty of fluid because you will go throuth everything again. Just keep pouring brake fluid in there.
  4. Then, it is very tedious and it is best to have someone spotting the progress on the fluid at the Slave Cylinder. Just bleed it like if it was the brakes... and yes at the beginning it will stay down there.
  5. Be certain that at some point the Slave Cylinder will move but not freely, at this point with your hand and the bleed screw opened tell a friend to step on the clutch pedal and with your hand squeeze back the Slave Cylinder (this will relieve the trapped air inside ;))
  6. Eventually, the trick is that the cup will begin to build up fast which means that almost all the air has been pushed out the line.
  7. At this point close it and tell a friend to press on the pedal like if it was bleeding the brakes and stay on the pedal, open and close.
  8. Keep doing this while pouring the Brake Fluid.
  9. Your friend will begin to feel it hard and you'll see the Slave Cylinder move.
  10. Stop when you feel that there is no more air and the stiffness will be final when the Reservoir is covered.

Good luck!!!
you guys were right, it just needed to be bled... :clap

I got it to the point where it would shoot a hard steady stream into the cup with each push of the pedal. Sound about right?

I might bleed it again just to make sure, but it feels like a clutch again. I can already tell it's gonna be quite a bit different than my centerforce was, so driving it should be interesting.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
bob12345 said:
you guys were right, it just needed to be bled... :clap

I got it to the point where it would shoot a hard steady stream into the cup with each push of the pedal. Sound about right?

I might bleed it again just to make sure, but it feels like a clutch again. I can already tell it's gonna be quite a bit different than my centerforce was, so driving it should be interesting.
id bleed it again. I thought mine was good but one day i went to mc'ds an the thing sunk to the floor. i was like :confused . it wouldnt hurt to bleed one more time to be on the safe side. good thing i had brake fluid in the back sat. :)

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
DrivinVtec said:
good thing i had brake fluid in the back sat. :)
:nod
I had to bleed mine last Sunday....Surprisingly it didn't take too long this time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.