Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
accord 4 me said:
looks like the same vette we have now :confused:
Look at some pics of the C5 and you will be able to tell that they are quite a bit different. The new design seems to be getting a good response according to some of the corvette forums I've visited.

·
Registered
866 Posts
looks as if though they're dumping the famous pop up headlights.:eek: dont' know how diehard vette fans will like that. but i guess the original vettes didnt' have that so who knows. it's not too bad given more than half of it is missing.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
That looks nice. It looks, mabey its just my perception, that they made it shorter. If they did that I wonder if they made it wider.

This is kinda OT, but what if they made a mid or rear engine vette... that would be nice, but I wonder if it would sell that well to picky vette fans.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Looks nice, but the front doesn't say "Corvette" to me. It would be nice if it did turn out to be shorter than the current one, it's a little big.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
DontRevMe said:
the car will be smaller...they are targeting a 2800 curb weight..not bad for a 500hp car:evil:
who told you they were looking aiming to weigh 2800? even w/ more extensive use of fiberglass, there's no way they could get a vette into the high 2800's (for the sake of arguement). it'd have to be smaller than a s2000

·
Banned
1,554 Posts
DAFeLUNG said:
who told you they were looking aiming to weigh 2800? even w/ more extensive use of fiberglass, there's no way they could get a vette into the high 2800's (for the sake of arguement). it'd have to be smaller than a s2000
why would it have to be smaller then an s2k? if anything the engine is lighter then the s2k engine..

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
DAFeLUNG said:
I think it could be possible. Isn't the new NSX (NA2) listed at a hair over 2,700 pounds in comparison?

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
DontRevMe said:
if anything the engine is lighter then the s2k engine..
Why do you say this? I'm not disagreeing yet but is the Corvette engine freakishly light and the S2000 engine freakishly heavy?? That's one huge 5.7L V8 and one not-so-huge 2.0 (or now 2.2 for the US) I-4.

The US NSX is right around or just under 3000lbs, but I believe the NSX-R is a good 200+lbs lighter, it's somewhere between 2700-2800lbs I think. The NSX is still smaller than the Corvette, with a much smaller engine though. The current Corvette however is very light for it's power and size. The C5 convertible weighs quite a bit less than an Audi TT roadster despite being something like 3 feet longer and having a 5.7L V8 rather than a 1.8L turbo I4.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
DontRevMe said:
why would it have to be smaller then an s2k? if anything the engine is lighter then the s2k engine..
ok...i'm sorry, but thats really one of the dumbest things i've every heard. i mean...before 97 all the 350 engines were cast iron blocks, most weighing about 625 lbs. and after 97 the LS motors went to aluminum blocks. even though its a great weight savings, the new vette motors still weigh over 390 pounds. i know the VTEC drivetrain is heavy, but c'mon, a lil common sense here. comparing a DOHC 2.0 I4 to a 5.7 V-8?!?!?!

Shiba-Kun said:
I think it could be possible. Isn't the new NSX (NA2) listed at a hair over 2,700 pounds in comparison?
the base nsx weights 2948...very light compared to the vette. but the nsx s lighter still @ 2904, and the nsx r @ 2794
White98LS said:
Why do you say this? I'm not disagreeing yet but is the Corvette engine freakishly light and the S2000 engine freakishly heavy?? That's one huge 5.7L V8 and one not-so-huge 2.0 (or now 2.2 for the US) I-4.

The US NSX is right around or just under 3000lbs, but I believe the NSX-R is a good 200+lbs lighter, it's somewhere between 2700-2800lbs I think. The NSX is still smaller than the Corvette, with a much smaller engine though. The current Corvette however is very light for it's power and size. The C5 convertible weighs quite a bit less than an Audi TT roadster despite being something like 3 feet longer and having a 5.7L V8 rather than a 1.8L turbo I4.
then again the audi tt does have a quattro, very heavy AWD system, and the additional weight of a turbo.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Yeah I know, the Quattro system adds 220lbs! Even still though, 3450lbs is far too much for a 158" long roadster with a 4-cyl. My mom has the 225 coupe and it's like 3250lbs.... then again it is stiff and solid as a mofo over bumps. Still, that much poundage in my mind is inexcusable, especially for a sports/sporty car.

I'd be very surprised if they can get the Vette down to 2700-2800lbs, Civics and RSXs these days weigh that much. They're already light for what they are.

It just saddens me when all the new cars come out bigger and much fatter unless they use new materials for the body, hopefully the new Vette (and new NSX) will be different. Until then I'm saving for my ~1850lb US-spec Elise!!! Which has also gotten heavier, but 1850lbs is still just awesome.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts