Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally broke down and ordered some parts for my development rig. The old Lenovo just couldn't quite hack it any more.

My work ranged from php/python/ruby development all the way to graphic design, so I need an array of tools available, and the Intuos4 drawing tablet has proven to be EXTREMELY useful.

Under the hood, the t61p is pretty basic: 8gb ram, a 2.4ghz core 2 duo, and the nvidia card. I run Debian on there.

The desktop is a bit more burly. AMD hasn't really wow'd me since the Athalon XP/64 days, but the hex-core 1055t/1075t/1090 procs seemed like a killer value, and it turns out that I was right. Half the price of an i7 and significantly faster for crunching multiple processes at a time, this 1075t kicks ass. The AM3+ MSI motherboard I ended up with has an onboard nVidia card that I had planned to replace, but with DVI+HDMI+VGA output, I can't really come up with a reason to replace it. It's running 16gb ddr3 and 6 cores of 4.2ghz (on stock air cooling!) for a total of 25.2ghz available to me. It's running Ubuntu 10.10 server with Gnome/Compiz, and that's pushing the two screens.

I was mostly looking for more screen real estate with this update, so I picked up a 26" 1920x1280 Asus and a 24" 1920x1080 to mount vertically on the side (displays roughly double the amount of code a horizontally-aligned screen can). In addition to that, the t61p (laptop) has another 1920x1280 available, and they're connected via Synergy.

The case is worth noting too. As a throwback to the days of SDcard readers being built-in to cases, this has a SATA drive bay in the top of it. I hadn't realized how useful it was until I got it and hooked everything up. Now I'm not sure how I survived so long without it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like having speakers in my monitors. It es sweet. I want another 24" for the other side, then I can just leave my laptop in its bag for when I need to run out.

·
Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm trying to figure out why you didn't go with the new sandy bridge stuff from intel. kicks anything amd has into the gutter, for around 300 bucks. overclocks like a champ on stock cooling.

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
It's $300, where my mobo plus the 1075t was $250, and the AMD scores two extra cores? That's a good reason, if you ask me. The Intel procs have cache speeds in the bag, but I just can't justify spending the extra money for less overall power.

no speakers for me, my 24 is like your 26 lol
My 26 has built-in speakers too. HDMI input on both.

·
Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
It's $300, where my mobo plus the 1075t was $250, and the AMD scores two extra cores? That's a good reason, if you ask me. The Intel procs have cache speeds in the bag, but I just can't justify spending the extra money for less overall power.
pfft... just cause it has 2 extra cores? and 300 was for the most expensive. it spanks your little chip. this chip will overclock over 5ghz on water it will run stable at 4.5ghz all day on air. at the end of the day the new the 2600k is better on all tests tat I've seen against amd, it marked barely behind the 980x. have you looked around at the info for this chip?

·
Registered
20,101 Posts

My 26 has built-in speakers too. HDMI input on both.
WOW, i just realized that my monitor has speakers! :w00tz

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pfft... just cause it has 2 extra cores? and 300 was for the most expensive. it spanks your little chip. this chip will overclock over 5ghz on water it will run stable at 4.5ghz all day on air. at the end of the day the new the 2600k is better on all tests tat I've seen against amd, it marked barely behind the 980x. have you looked around at the info for this chip?
I have, but I'm running stable @ 4.2ghz on the 1075t on (stock) air. I took a look at all the benchmarks, and while the intel procs run single tasks faster, I would much rather be able to thread more processes. All the benchmarks I've seen show both procs running more-or-less on the same level with one another. You have data that says otherwise?

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
sweet setup!

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Whoops the shit outta my Leno-blow R400

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The r400 is pretty much just the more compact version of my t61p, right? I friggin' love IBM laptops. I do love the resolution on this t61p though, 1920x1200 on a laptop is badass.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
The r400 is pretty much just the more compact version of my t61p, right? I friggin' love IBM laptops. I do love the resolution on this t61p though, 1920x1200 on a laptop is badass.
no. The R61 would be more similar to the T61.

This is the R400:

Its got a core duo 2.4ghz, I upgraded to 2GB of ram, because sadly it came with only 1:lmao

IDK, I work on Lenovo laptops for a living, and I haven't been super impressed with anything since the old IBM R51 I had years ago. Toughest, most reliable notebook I ever owned, I shouldn't have gotten rid of it for a T60.

In my experience they are just not nearly as well made as they used to be, tho my R400 has proven pretty durable, its kinda resorted my faith, but the HDD's are trash. I've replaced 2 of them in the 3 years I've had mine, and it wasn't because of drops or anything, but they love to just have HDD initialization errors on you out of the blue. Thank god for my ultrabay drive with Fedora and Ubuntu on it so I still had a somewhat functioning comp. while I waited for my new drive! I'm thinking about getting a Dell or Asus for my next notebook. Something with a little more Horsepower so I can do some gaming again, and I want an SSD really BAD!

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pop an SSD in there. I picked up one of the cheap hybrid drives off Newegg, and it was a great investment. Couldn't be happier. I used to have a w500, and wasn't happy with that at all. They keyboard was flimsy and there was a lot of chassis twist. The t61p is great, I have a hard time finding faults, other than how dim the screen is.

Before this I had a t42p, then a t22, and a 701cs (which I LOVED... someone needs to bring back that keyboard in a netbook). I've been through a few Dells, an Asus, a Toshiba, and an HP (which was surprisingly not-crap), but had huge complaints about all of them.

Notebooks are tough to make the right call on. I'm a big fan of a netbook as my portable solution, but I demand higher resolution than they offer.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
W500 is totally diffrent.

R51 was this box of awesome:

1.7ghz Pentium M, 2gb of 333mhz dram and 80gig HD baby!

·
Banned
41,336 Posts
no. The R61 would be more similar to the T61.

This is the R400:

Its got a core duo 2.4ghz, I upgraded to 2GB of ram, because sadly it came with only 1:lmao

IDK, I work on Lenovo laptops for a living, and I haven't been super impressed with anything since the old IBM R51 I had years ago. Toughest, most reliable notebook I ever owned, I shouldn't have gotten rid of it for a T60.

In my experience they are just not nearly as well made as they used to be, tho my R400 has proven pretty durable, its kinda resorted my faith, but the HDD's are trash. I've replaced 2 of them in the 3 years I've had mine, and it wasn't because of drops or anything, but they love to just have HDD initialization errors on you out of the blue. Thank god for my ultrabay drive with Fedora and Ubuntu on it so I still had a somewhat functioning comp. while I waited for my new drive! I'm thinking about getting a Dell or Asus for my next notebook. Something with a little more Horsepower so I can do some gaming again, and I want an SSD really BAD!

I haz a 6410 with the i7 and 4gb of ram oh and a 500gb SSD :cool

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
give me your jew gold.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
yeah, that bad boy.

IDK, I have a few freinds that went with Asus, and have been real happy. They seem legit, and some are pretty powerful. There not as expensive as a Dell either.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts