Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I want a GSR and I need some reasons why I can get one. My parents are completely against VTECs and dont want me to have a fast car. Im not going to get a lame ls (sorry, my bro has an ls and its not the fastest car ive seen :( let the flaming on me begin all you ls owners ) But you with VTECs, Im either looking at a Prelude VTEC GSR or a GST. My parents havent said anything against the GST's even after Ive told them I want one. My parents have said that I could get a mustang GT. What is up with this crap? I dont get them... Help me out here
Dan

· Registered
8,144 Posts
Wait a sec.....your parents won't let you get a front-wheel drive, N/A 4-cylinder, reliable and economical as all hell Integra. But they will let you get an unreliable, gas guzzling, RWD, V8, 260hp, 300+ lb.ft. (I dunno exactly) MUSTANG??!!! Or a TURBO, equally unreliable Eclipse?? Just tell your parents that the Integra is the slowest, best handling, most reliable and economical of the three (all true), easiest to insure, has the best resale value, and is the most practical (I fit my mountain bike in the back with the seats down w/o taking anything off the bike all the time).

· Registered
8,144 Posts
By the way, I've beaten GS-R's w/just an intake in my LS. Being able to drive well helps.
According to Car and Driver:
LS 0-60: 7.6 sec.
GS-R 0-60: 7.1 sec.
GS-R hits 60 in 2nd gear, LS doesn't, therefore part of the 0.5 sec. is a 0.2 or 0.3 second-long shift to 3rd in the LS.

LS 1/4 mile: 15.9 @ 85mph
GS-R 1/4 mile: 15.6 @ 89mph
Again, GS-R hits its trap speed in 3rd gear, LS needs a shift to 4th.

I'm not saying that people getting GS-R's are dumb. In stock form, the difference between LS and GS-R is not much, especially considering that the LS has MORE low-end torque. When modified, though, it is a different story. (Except FI)

Hey, you said you expected flaming! Just don't call an LS lame until you beat a few.

· Registered
376 Posts
My fuel cut off is at exactly 60 mph and I only have intake and exhaust.

Nocarkid - YOU ARE TOTALLY RIGHT! Get vtec now. I got my LS and now it is pretty much pointless to mod this engine with anything other than turbo. So right now I am looking into a motor swap which is just going to be tedious. Fun, but alot of work. So yes, you should get a VTEC car now unless you want to put up with turboing a LS.

· Registered
1,063 Posts
if ur gonna mod and want crazy hp for your money, get a gs-t, but expect some bumps in the way... they are unreliable, but when running, they will shut up many cars... i just impressed myself over the weekend beating out a JDM ITR at the track by a tenth of a second... i spent 11,3 on my car and put about 600 bucks into it... 14.7 isnt a bad time... btw, blow off valves and spooling get addicting... im never going back to N/A

· Registered
234 Posts
Thats pretty odd not wanting you to have a GSR but a eclipse or a mustang is ok. What are the reasons why you're parents dont want you to have a GSR? Are your parents the ones buying the car? if so and it comes down to you really wanting a GSR, then save up and after awhile you can buy one.

· Registered
8,144 Posts
NoCarKid said:
White98ls, I did expect flaming. thats why I said "Start the flaming"
:confused: Note that I said that you DID expect flaming.

If you're going for FI, LS is the way to go. If you want NA, then go for a GS-R. Either way, you'll end up in a better situation than with the Mustang or Eclipse IMHO. That guy is totally right about the Eclipse (after all, he does own one).

· Registered
37 Posts
i remember when i was 16 trying to get my dad to buy me a gsr. first of all, my dad knows a lot about hondas and likes them for their reliablility, so i might have had an advantage on you. he was a little uneasy about the whole idea at first because they are fast and whatnot, but after a while of assuring him that i wouldn't do anything stupid with it, he gave in. compare the specs of the gsr with the other cars they mentioned you could have, because maybe they don't understand what vtec is all about. just don't get an LS. good luck.

· Registered
2,222 Posts
NoCarKid said:
Alright, I want a GSR and I need some reasons why I can get one. My parents are completely against VTECs and dont want me to have a fast car. Im not going to get a lame ls (sorry, my bro has an ls and its not the fastest car ive seen :( let the flaming on me begin all you ls owners ) But you with VTECs, Im either looking at a Prelude VTEC GSR or a GST. My parents havent said anything against the GST's even after Ive told them I want one. My parents have said that I could get a mustang GT. What is up with this crap? I dont get them... Help me out here
Dan
yeah like the other people said eclipses and mustangs are unreliable. eclipses are known for blowing trannies and mustangs are just pieces of falling apart crap. tell your parents hondas get good gas mileage, reliable, and *maybe* lower insurance (not sure about this though).

· Registered
52 Posts
tell them that cars with vtec are not fast.

seriously, the gsr and type R arent as fast as ur parents probably think.

bring em for a test drive of one and do the same with a mustang gt. as long as you take corners slower than u would like, it should convince them.

the tegs with vtec are fast, but not ridiciously fast. hell, the bentley and rolls royces can outrun my R.

its only in turning that my car brings the smile to my face.

· Registered
8,144 Posts
YEAH no kidding the MR2 Turbo is damn cool. My friend is getting one as soon as he sells his damn Prelude. The one he's looking at has a bunch of TRD and HKS stuff and it's running something like 17psi, somewhere in the 13's 1/4 mile. It looks good, handles nice, and you can get one for sorta cheap. And believe it or not, my friend did an insurance quote on it and it was actually LESS to insure than his '92 Prelude Si auto! This is a turbo, mid-engine, rear-drive, smaller car, with two seats and no purpose other than to go fast. I don't understand how insurance companies work!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.