Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an F22B 2.2 VTEC in my 97 Accord EX coupe...It's ok. Like everybody else out there, I was thinking about more power. I could either: A. Buy a Stage-3 turbo system for the F22B...B. Swap for an H22 and then put on a turbo...C. Swap for a V6 and put on a twin turbo. I am completely lost! I would love it if you threw me some opinions and facts here! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
while your climbing the alphabet why not d) v8 and quad turbo

ok sorry..uncalled for..but do some research...learn about how engine operate and how to extract power...cost of power...go get some knowledge and then come back...i don't expect hearing from you in a few weeks ok? goodluck and have fun...school is cool =)

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
97CombatAccord said:
I currently have an F22B 2.2 VTEC in my 97 Accord EX coupe...It's ok. Like everybody else out there, I was thinking about more power. I could either: A. Buy a Stage-3 turbo system for the F22B...B. Swap for an H22 and then put on a turbo...C. Swap for a V6 and put on a twin turbo. I am completely lost! I would love it if you threw me some opinions and facts here! Thanks!!!
F22b2 is not much of a motor, although pretty strong and durable it is not meant for power in stock form at all. I suggest you learn how to drive it first; learn how it handles in turns, braking, wet and dry conditions, then work on suspension and how that feels and responds, then work on brakes and then finally move on to speed.

A. You obviously have no idea what type of work it takes to run a stage 3 turbo kit, nor do you have any idea how much work and maintainence it takes to have one run reliably......not to mention the gob and a half of money it will take to get this kit, install it, and tune it.

B. Again you have no clue of turbo systems (from reading your post), or naturally aspirated motors. yes you can turbo a h22 but again it requires lots of work and effort all of which you seem to not be exerting by your post here on superhonda.com
My brother spent almost $15k on his h22 swap and tranny with lsd, build up, turbo system and install, and finally tuning the engine. The total build time from the time it was in the shops till the time it actually was driveable? almost a month.
We value that you want to get your car up and running quickly but posting things like this without doing homework, running searches and reading your basic materials first will get many people here on ur ass real quick and you will find life on here miserable. we will help you but you need to exert some effort first, then we supplement some things to help you along.

C. v6 twin turbo........on a auto tranny; nevermind.....i meant to say a AUTO HONDA tranny. Forget it; the money and time spent on this to get it to run without a hitch would be ungodly stupid.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
WhiTeAcCoRd said:
f22b1 turbo or h22 na :btu .. yeah i agree you're going to def need to research way more before taking these measures
Actually I would have said
F22b1 with a mild build and then turbo......dsm turbo or otherwise.
H22a in stock form with some bolt ons
or finally
H23a dohc vtec with lsd

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well for one...I have all the suspension parts in...Adjustable camber kit, dropped it an inch, rims/tires, body...In the current engine it has I have dumped in AEM Cam gear, AEM V2 intake, Skunk2 cam, DC Header, DC Exhaust...It's all worked up already, but it's just not keeping up with the newer cars in town (IE S200's, ION Redline...etc) I have done alot of homework here, and the only reason I came to a forum was to get opinions from other people other than those of my fellow peers and mechanics. If all you are going to do is thrash on me like you are, I'm not even going to bother. I was just asking for some friendly help and if you can't see that, then just don't reply.
But other than that...I was leaning towards the H22 DOHC (I do realize how long it takes...I have done (or helped with) two and the wiring took about 20 hours) but then the V6 looked very appealing and had much more potential. The cost to swap them was about the same, but the cost to juice the power was different. Performance parts (turbo, cams) were cheaper for the H22, but I figured I could get way more power from a V6. Once again...If you have a NEGATIVE opinion, I would prefer you keep it to yourself. I have the tranny laid out in the garage waiting for an engine to put it on, too, so that isn't a problem.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
97CombatAccord said:
Well for one...I have all the suspension parts in...Adjustable camber kit, dropped it an inch, rims/tires, body...In the current engine it has I have dumped in AEM Cam gear, AEM V2 intake, Skunk2 cam, DC Header, DC Exhaust...It's all worked up already, but it's just not keeping up with the newer cars in town (IE S200's, ION Redline...etc) I have done alot of homework here, and the only reason I came to a forum was to get opinions from other people other than those of my fellow peers and mechanics. If all you are going to do is thrash on me like you are, I'm not even going to bother. I was just asking for some friendly help and if you can't see that, then just don't reply.
But other than that...I was leaning towards the H22 DOHC (I do realize how long it takes...I have done (or helped with) two and the wiring took about 20 hours) but then the V6 looked very appealing and had much more potential. The cost to swap them was about the same, but the cost to juice the power was different. Performance parts (turbo, cams) were cheaper for the H22, but I figured I could get way more power from a V6. Once again...If you have a NEGATIVE opinion, I would prefer you keep it to yourself. I have the tranny laid out in the garage waiting for an engine to put it on, too, so that isn't a problem.
If you cant deal with some constructive criticism, go to another webboard.
Dont ask for help and then get all tight pants when someone tells you the bare truth of the matter.
V6 sucks; deal with it.............v6 is a v6, fixing it up is like tryin to hit a brick wall, either way you are screwed.
So basically in short if you cant deal with constructive criticism and then you try to backhand those that give you some; go away. We dont need you.
Happy? No? none of us care, happy flaming..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is a difference between constructive criticism and bringing somebody down. Just because it doesn't seem like I know alot doesn't mean you are better than I am. I was asking for opinions, not for somebody to critique me and my skills (or lack there of). All I needed was "H22 good V6 bad" which is what I got from everybody BUT a certain person. So thank you for all that helped me out! I'll be going with the H22! I guess I'll get back to you guys when I get it finished!! Wish me luck!

·
Registered
160 Posts
well as i read your first post, i didn't know if you were a noob or not...and i think that was the reason for harsh opinions.

but anyway, whats wrong with the V6? you have close to 50% more displacement. no turbo kits for it, but if you go n/a, i dont see how its complete crap

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
since you already have a very conservative build on the f22, why don't you get a hondata and build the motor? everyone going h22 this h22 that these days...oh well

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They make a twin turbo kit for the V6, but it's almost $3,500!! I am still looking around to see if they make intake manifolds, because they DO make cold air intakes and high-flow exhaust and headers. It's still a tough choice, because it does have ALOT more displacement, and where I come from "There's no replacement for displacement" but that all changed when I saw a little Rice-rocket run 10 seconds...Heh heh. I'm still debating, but the H22 DOHC is looking pretty good...I can get one with 50k miles for $1800 and all my VTEC-obsessed friends can help me out with everything else. (All in all we have swapped four H22s into Preludes and CRXs. They are also divided between the cheap power of an H22 or the expensive, but far greater power of a V6 I-VTEC.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well if I did decide to build up the current F22...What should I get for it? I heard the Hondata's were cheap but the tuning was the expensive part. I already have the APEX VAFC-II. And what about pistons, rods, crank, injectors, fuel rail? In other words...What parts have worked for all you guys on your F22 or H22s? Which MSD is best for the little SOHC?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tell me if this list works:

Fuel rail
285cc Injectors
Cam
Pistons, rods, rings, crankshaft
10mm over-stock throttle body
Vavle springs (20lbs over)
Stainless steal valves
Turbo kit (Stand-alone, ECU included)

Am I missing anything?

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
you're missing management and TUNING from your list. also, look in the tuning faqs thread in this forum to find out what size injector you should be running.

·
Registered
682 Posts
although the V6 twin would be by far the coolest most dooable project other than the h22/F22 turbo options.... but i worked with turbos for 3 years and have blown motors.... believe me... if ur new then dont try to go turbo... plus twin turb is a harder setup to do..... especially on a V6 i havnt really seen it done on a v6 just inline 6.....! nice ideas though, im the all motor man, so go for the h22 all motor......

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.