Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just was gifted a 95 ls automatic with 160xxx miles.

What are you guys getting for gas mileage. I am getting 270-290 miles on a tank i am asuming is 12 gallons.

Thats less than 24 mpg which in a 4 cylinder is not good IMO.

I just replaced the plugs, wires and ran some lucas fuel injector cleaner through it.

what else might i check

thanks.

BTW i should also add i think it is also performing rather poor too, but hey it runs

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Search dude, google is great.

I would start off with running the proper octane, too high or too low can both cause deposits to be formed

Fuel filter could be changed

you did pluigs, did you do teh wires? NGK or OEM is best.

tire inflation, maintain a proper psi in your tires

a bad thermostat can cause poor gas mileage, as honda conveniantly dumps a shitload of gas into the system inorder to bring the operating temp up. Some people replace these with aftermarket ones from a parts store, and they are sometimes rated at a lower temp.

ground wires are HUGE to a honda. Stock grounds are barely worthwhile in the car, let alone and older car with higehr miles. Battery-strut tower, tranny-chassis, and valve cover-headlight frame, are your big 3.

bad wheel bearing, thats basically a noise check, sqqqqquealing or grinding noise usually.

Post back any results/questions. Also make sure your using 5w or 10w oil, nothing thicker.

One last thing, PB BLAST the hell outta the cat converter bolts once a day for a week, tap the bolts a few times, tehn after that week, take off the converter and check to make sure it aint clogged. If it is, you can get a high flow cat that is emissions passsing for 100-200 bucks.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
I would guess around 30, as they are dual cam and made for a bit more performance. Maybe 35mpg

· Registered
17,589 Posts
it is a ls, and i do drive it grandma ish, i drive alot so i want the best MPG i can get, what would be dragging me down 10 mpg, i got new plugs and wires, its got a k&n cold air too
well its automatic for one. check the egr? seafoam the top end and the fuel. pump up the tires.

its an almost 15 year old car, with 160k miles on it. its not going to run as efficient as a brand new car. there are things you can do to improve it, but dont expect the sun.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
it's old and it's automatic. if you want factory mileage you have to be within factory specs. you could always get an safc and wideband and lean the bitch out on the highway. also are you driving with your car full of stuff. are you up on all your fluids etc, how cold is it there.

· Registered
12,453 Posts
my GSR still gets 32mpg?

The auto-tragic might be robbing him if its not up to snuff.

How about an oil change? Was this done? Any CEL's? That car even with that many miles should at lest net you 30mpg highway.

Also, depends on what driving your doing? is it a mix, or is it city or mostly highway?

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
ah. so but really 22 mpg should be a high mileage thing, something should be wrong right
yes. make sure your plugs wires and distributor are good well, how cold is it there? oil change? and make sure you're not carrying a lot of stuff in the car

· Registered
10,346 Posts
ust get a short ram intake and point it towards the radiator or exhaust manifold, the hotter air will use less gas to maitain a proper burning mix. Robs you of power but gains mpg. make a compromise

· Registered
12,453 Posts
its a mix of driving, also i am not familar with the terms you guys are using such as CEL and auto tragic?

thanks for the help
Its a little low on the MPG, but not too low if your in mixed driving. How far do you drive the car to work for example. If your car never properly heats up, it will rob your MPG, and depending on how cold it is where you live, this could be more of a factor.

Most people dont realize how poor your MPG is when you cold start a car, and drive it a few miles, then turn it off again. Especially with Honda's because when cold, they dump gas in to warm up.

· Registered
12,453 Posts
I would say with a mixed loop you should be getting 25mpg at least. And one thing a 6 has going for it is that it warms up faster. As mentioned previously, Honda's run super rich until they get warm. So running it from cold will kill your MPG. Also, the fact that its an auto makes you lose a few MPG right there. Sounds like the car really just needs a good tune up all around, and if you drive it right it should get you some better mpg.

Any other problems you've had with the car besides the lower MPG?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.