Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a new Blaupunkt Casablanka CD52 head unit and installed it myself. I got the properwireing harness and matched everything up.

It all works ok, except that it makes a low clicking sound when the engine is on. It doesn't do this when the key it is in and the car has power but the engine isn't running. Also, even worse, is that when I drive the car, a high picked tone is created whose frequency gets higher and higher as my RPM's go up! This makes no sense to me at all. Everything works just fine, i just have these 2 problems!

I have been with a dead head unit in my car for months, now that I fanally got one i'm having a hard time enjoying my music in my car again. Please help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
is it just the radio, or cd too? its not that uncommon for a radio to pick up interference from the engine. check into some magnetic supression spark plug wires, i got mine for like 20 bucks at o'rileys auto parts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, it does it on all inputs. Normally I just listen to my iPod through the AUX input, and it does it on there, but to make sure I did turn on teh radio and it does it there also.

So, are you saying that I should disconnect my ground wire from the wire harness and connect it to bare metal, or should I splice it and have it connected as is AND to bare metal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,224 Posts
engine noise fix

crx4luke said:
try putting your ground to bare metal.
Yes, you are picking up engine noise from vibrations in the cars frame. If you scrape off all the paint on the grounds hooked up to your amp, this will stop. I had the same prob on my civic. After getting some steel wool and scratching the area until it was silver-looking, no more engine noise. If that doesn't fix it, replace rca cables.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,224 Posts
barr104 said:
No, it does it on all inputs. Normally I just listen to my iPod through the AUX input, and it does it on there, but to make sure I did turn on teh radio and it does it there also.

So, are you saying that I should disconnect my ground wire from the wire harness and connect it to bare metal, or should I splice it and have it connected as is AND to bare metal?
Nevermind, I am thinking it's your amp ground connection, but you didn't say anything about an amp. I have never heard of a head unit having engine noise probs :confused . Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, I wasn't very specific. I have no amp i nmy car, the audio goes stright to my speakers through the wire harness.

So, should I still splice my black ground wire from the harness to teh frame?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it seemed to work at first. It seemed like it when I had teh dash apart and the wire attached to the metal frame, but then I put it all back together and closed my doors to really listen to it, and it was exactly the same as before!

So, here's what I did:
Where the wires between the car harness adapter and trhe wires form the stereo come together (where the wire nuts are) I added a 3rd wire to the current 2 wires that are for ground. I connected that 3rd wire to the metal frame.

Would it be a good idea to remove the wire that goes from teh stereo into the car? This would then have the connection go straight form the stereo to the metal frame withouyt ever passing through to teh car's harness.

Would this work or help any?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,955 Posts
Buy a new condenser for your car, they're cheap and you can pick them up at an autoparts store. Using the wiring chart, you could also figure out which wire on your wiring harness is the ground, and buy a cheap ten dollar ground loop isolator, which is usually a good way to illiminate alternator noise. I'm having this trouble right now, but it's because I ran my RCA's right next to my 4gauge power wire to the trunk, because I just got a new KX350.4 amp for my components, and since the RCA's are low level input when they pick up alternator noise from my power wire, the amplifier just amplifies the noise even more and it is very loud, lol. I have a ground loop isolator but it is only rated for 20 amps and I have two amps and it would definetly not be big enough. So, I'm just going to have to run my RCA's down the other side of the car so they don't pick up noise from my power wire. Good luck man.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
barr104 said:
Where the wires between the car harness adapter and trhe wires form the stereo come together (where the wire nuts are) I added a 3rd wire to the current 2 wires that are for ground. I connected that 3rd wire to the metal frame.

Would it be a good idea to remove the wire that goes from teh stereo into the car? This would then have the connection go straight form the stereo to the metal frame withouyt ever passing through to teh car's harness.

Would this work or help any?
first off get rid of the wire nuts. Either use some crimp connectors, or solder your connections. The last thing you need to do is to run the wire directly from the back of the radio to the metal ground.

What kind of car is this in anyway? You said you have two grounds? you should only have 1 ground wire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
krazykloudz said:
Buy a new condenser for your car, they're cheap and you can pick them up at an autoparts store. Using the wiring chart, you could also figure out which wire on your wiring harness is the ground, and buy a cheap ten dollar ground loop isolator, which is usually a good way to illiminate alternator noise. I'm having this trouble right now, but it's because I ran my RCA's right next to my 4gauge power wire to the trunk, because I just got a new KX350.4 amp for my components, and since the RCA's are low level input when they pick up alternator noise from my power wire, the amplifier just amplifies the noise even more and it is very loud, lol. I have a ground loop isolator but it is only rated for 20 amps and I have two amps and it would definetly not be big enough. So, I'm just going to have to run my RCA's down the other side of the car so they don't pick up noise from my power wire. Good luck man.
I feel stupid asking this on here, but what is a condenser? Also, can I get the ground loop isolator at a car parts/car audio store? Would that just go in my dash where I connected the stereo to the harness?

crx4luke said:
first off get rid of the wire nuts. Either use some crimp connectors, or solder your connections. The last thing you need to do is to run the wire directly from the back of the radio to the metal ground.

What kind of car is this in anyway? You said you have two grounds? you should only have 1 ground wire.
ok, not wire nuts, I don't know the proper term for them. I think they are the crimp connectors though. The car(96 civit ex) has 1 ground and I spliced it to go from the radio to the normal ground, and then also directly to my metal frame.So I might as well remove the extra ground wire that I spliced in, since it didn't do anything. It doesn't hurt to keep it on does it? I don't wanna open it up just take that off, i'll wait til I get the ground loop isolator as stated above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
Well if you had the problem with the factory ground, then just attached a new ground to the wiring already there, then you're just going to get more of a ground loop. Try taking off the factory ground, and just use the metal ground. I've never had a problem with engine whine from just replacing the radio in a civic before though. if replacing the ground doesn't work, then i'd be willing to bet its a messed up amp in the radio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am not all that good with electronics. do you mean that I should not connect the ground wire from my stereo to my car harness ground wire?

So i should just have the ground come out of the stereo and go directly onto some piece of metal inside my dash?
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top