Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
you can convert to OBD1 with jsut a jumper harness at the ecu plug, and its MUCH easier to chip an OBD1 ecu and tune then it is to have a piggy back.

also, FMU's suck. sure they work in small power boosts, but Im sure this SC is adding more power tehn am FMU can accurately keep up with.

ever beat on it, then sudenly loose the throttle? it stumbles a bit because of that slight delay of the FMU realizing hey, no more fuel yo :D

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
you can convert to OBD1 with jsut a jumper harness at the ecu plug, and its MUCH easier to chip an OBD1 ecu and tune then it is to have a piggy back.

also, FMU's suck. sure they work in small power boosts, but Im sure this SC is adding more power tehn am FMU can accurately keep up with.

ever beat on it, then sudenly loose the throttle? it stumbles a bit because of that slight delay of the FMU realizing hey, no more fuel yo :D
FMU? :confused

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
FMU? :confused
Fuel
Management
Unit

it reads boost fand determines how much fuel should be added.

its very slow reacting and only worthwhile for low power setups

it works better with a supercharger then a turbo, but still, a tuned solution is always better

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Fuel
Management
Unit

it works better with a supercharger then a turbo, but still, a tuned solution is always better
FMU is a rising rate fuel pressure regulator...Its mechanical guess work. You cant really tune for it its linear. Every pound of boost it will give you a set amount of added fuel pressure. You can't achieve the ideal air/fuel ratio with it throughout the entire rpm range. I had a WB on my FMU setup and it was lean here and rich there not really safe or the best for max power. Not any better on SC than turbo the only reason its not BAD on the SC is because they dont flow much CFM vs a typical turbo setup.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Instead of staying with Honda ECU, why not consider Megasquirt? It's not that expensive, and MS2v3's map sensor supports boost up to 1bar (~15psi or so). Worlds easier to control your fuel map without having to screw with controlling fuel pressure.

Just sayin'.

·
Registered
16 Posts
mattliston I can not do this conversion by ECU to the car is OBD2 two connecctors in difference from yours which is 3 connectors, that's why I need the FMU and the relay

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
Instead of staying with Honda ECU, why not consider Megasquirt? It's not that expensive, and MS2v3's map sensor supports boost up to 1bar (~15psi or so). Worlds easier to control your fuel map without having to screw with controlling fuel pressure.

Just sayin'.
converting to OBD1 and chipping is cheaper and easier then megasquirt

megasquirt has more options though :btu

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
mattliston I can not do this conversion by ECU to the car is OBD2 two connecctors in difference from yours which is 3 connectors, that's why I need the FMU and the relay
teh conversion harness CONVERTS the wiring to OBD1

so that an OBD1 ecu plugs in and runs teh car.

FMU's suck ass, sorry to say. they should be a last resort

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
conversion harness example

·
Registered
16 Posts
mattliston but I will not understand me, the ECU the car is bringing two connectors so it can not do the conversion
look the connectors
connector A

connector B

the ecu has only two connectors and is OBD2

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
do you not understand the definition of the word "CONVERT"?

look at the picture I posted.

see how wires come from both original plugs to form the 3rd?

OBD2 is exactly like OBD1, but with extra wires. there is now a second oxygen sensor, and now lots of sensors have an extra wire, for active ground use. basically it means the sensor is grounded when teh ecu is turned on with the car.

Trust me on this one, Ive looked this stuff up AND Ive installed plenty of OBD1 conversions for friends and copied a new base map on so tehy could drive to the dyno and get their turbo setup tuned up.

its a cheap method that works VERY well. cheap doesnt always mean crappy

·
Registered
16 Posts
mattliston ok as you would in my case where the car has no O2 sensor, no crankshaft sensor, no camshaft sensor,no EGR valve if I do the conversion to OBD1 could the chek engine light on
looks like the ignition distributor is different from you

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
my god man. do you listen?

CONVERT

you can run a d16y8 with a d16z6 OBD1 ecu with a d16y8 basemap

Im not going to attempt to help if you cant read what Im posting.

its like you are saying the GSR motor and tranny wont work because it has extra wiring in the form of butterfly valves in teh intake that no other D or B series motor has.

guess what? still bolts right in in all 96-00 civics and works with 2 extra wires in 92-95 civics

is there a magical fairy dust that makes it work?

no, its some reasoning, some research, adn teh ability to read someones post who has successfully converted shit to work and is a VERY common thing to do on OBD2 cars!

you cannot easily chip and tune an OBD2 honda ecu. its a pain in the ass. its easier and cheaper to convert to ODB1

you loose one oxygen sensor. you still have one left. the secondary is for emissions, which is why teh car never misses it.

NO engine codes if you are running an OBD1 ecu because you already have ALL the sensors it would ever look for.

it will NOT see the extra shit teh OBD2 motor has. and when you load the fuel and ignition map of the d16y8 into teh OBD1 ecu, guess what? IT RUNS LIEK IT WAS FACTORY

Please stop doubting this.

its like refusing to believe you cant put X engine into Y car jsut because it wasnt factory

OBD1= supported and well developed

OBD2= barely any supprot and more of a pain in teh ass then its worth

other cars can be re flashed easily. hodna put their foot down and said fuck that non-sense

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
Fuel
Management
Unit

fmu's are very quick at reacting actually

it doesn't read boost, its a mechanical device that works just like a fuel pressure regulator.

aside from that, they do suck and are more of a band aid until you can tune

·
Registered
16 Posts
ok look the pictures only two connectors
[/URL][/IMG]

mattlisto I'm not saying it can not be, but it would work much time and money spent.
I just want to have the resources to install the SC that's why I need to go with the relay, Apexi or eManage

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Danny, you're missing the point. In essence, converting to OBD1 just requires an OBD1 ecu and the wiring harness. It's relatively straightforward, and you can find all the details with a simple search on Google. The extra wires and sensors that OBD2 has and OBD1 does not require on your motor are ignored.

You'll need to figure out a reasonable engine management solution, and I think you'd be happiest with an OBD1 setup. It's inexpensive, reliable, tested, and easy to do.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts