1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Rep for that vid,I wish more people would post vids like that

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Looks like another great accomplishment from Honda :tu This motor looks sweet! rep for you man very good find :clap

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
15km/L = 35.3 Miles per Gallon (US)
and
115KW = 154hp

That is a very cool vid ... that motor won't save the free world like they make it sound, but it is cool that Honda is doing direct injection.

One point of contention - They kind of vaguely mention that spraying downward keeps fuel from adhering to the cylinder wall - and they make it sound like downward spray is advantageous in that they can alter the injection timing to increase performance and lower emissions (inject during compression for leaner mixtures, during intake for agressive driving)
but that would eliminate one of the primary advantages of direct injection which is that spraying the cylinder walls keeps the chamber cool. I thought that was one of the primary advantages.

I'd like to see how this engine stacks up against Volkswagen's 2.0L direct injection engine - they spray sideways if I'm not mistaken.

again - cool vid

·
Registered
671 Posts
nice

·
Registered
129 Posts
to bad they used all that technology on the stock Si motor instead of the type R or RSX type S motor. Notice how they moved the spark plug to the side of the combustion chamber instead of keeping it Hemi style. Oh well, can't win em all.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
They moved the spark plug to make room for the injector - it could be that the benefits of direct injection and all their "swirl" technologies more than make up for the complete combustion goal of the hemispheric cylinder. That would be my guess.

Direct injection has been around for a while now, and there must be some good reason that it hasn't caught on universally. Maybe serviceability. If they do keep going with it though it would be cool to see a pure performance version in the RSX-S
:btu

·
Registered
38 Posts
Im pretty sure that the only reason direct injection isnt more mainstream is because of the smug they tend to put out like the vid said but i think they solved the problem with this new motor :D Maybe buy a 2002 si hatchY?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
yoshidoshi123 said:
just like japan, always AHEAD of the REST. reps to the Honda engineering team.
Reps to them and all - I'm sure Honda's GDI engine is sweet, but FYI direct injection is nothing new. Germans have been doing it for years.
[edit] and mitsu, which made a GDI engine for Volvo, and was doing GDI research in the '70s

1 - 20 of 21 Posts