Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just installed my new mugen style front lip on my 96 accord sunday and i already have 2 freakin cracks in it from the shit louisiana roads here! i am so pissed off. bot craks r on the passanger side and it looks like they will continue to spread over time and wear. does anyone know of a urathayne front lip that wont crack as easy?

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
don't wingswest make urethane kits?

i've had them before and it never cracked despite all the scrapes and bumps it went through~ try them

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
welcome to the club bro...

i cracked mine a month ago...it was my stupid fault tho...went too close to a parking bump...

this was my idea...put like 5 layers of fiberglass behind the next lip i'm going to buy...

i haven't tried it yet but i'm wondering if fiberglass would STICK to the abs plastic or NOT...

anyone know??????

thanks

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
boostaholic said:
don't wingswest make urethane kits?

i've had them before and it never cracked despite all the scrapes and bumps it went through~ try them

i dont want an entire kit just a urathane front lip mugen style. im plan on painting my stock side skirts the same color as the car.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
don't know of any urathane MUGEN lips bro...

i think i'm still going to try my idea...just hope it sticks as well to abs as it does to wood...:D

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dr_dohc said:
don't know of any urathane MUGEN lips bro...

i think i'm still going to try my idea...just hope it sticks as well to abs as it does to wood...:D

not real mugen, mugen STYLE :clap

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
yeah i know...even mugen style lip...i know what your talking about...even i don't have the stash for real mugen sh!t...

why don't you buy one and try to fiberglass it first...hehe...then let me know if it works...:p

·
Registered
317 Posts
damn i didn't know it was that bad. My friend with a teg had an ABS mugen style lip and he ran it over with his car and he only had 3 minor cracks which would be fixed easily. I don't know what material you bought. Next time definately buy urethane. My front bumper is urethane and I love it and it handles the tough roads of MI. I would go with the Wings West lip.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rhdune16 said:
damn i didn't know it was that bad. My friend with a teg had an ABS mugen style lip and he ran it over with his car and he only had 3 minor cracks which would be fixed easily. I don't know what material you bought. Next time definately buy urethane. My front bumper is urethane and I love it and it handles the tough roads of MI. I would go with the Wings West lip.

how do i fix cracks in ABS plastic that my mugen style is made of?

·
Registered
317 Posts
well if they are just cracks it'll be easy. But if pieces broke off then it'll be a little harder. To fix crack. Just align the crack until it's smooth with the contour of the lip. Then apply poly-urethane filler to the back of the crack and sand and smooth it out. Next you can apply either fiberglass or bondo to the front and smooth it out. I use fiberglass, but bondo works too. Just don't leave a huge chunk of bondo. Bondo shouldn't be thicker than a dime. Then you're set.

·
Registered
868 Posts
yeah, my mechanic broke mine and if his brother can't fix it than i'll buy a urethane lip, to any noobs, DON'T buy the cheap "mugen" lip!!!! they break like glass!!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
yeah My lip has been broken for a while it has two small cracks on the passenger side. I just dont worry about it. No one notices because its hairline. When i repaint it this summer im going to fix it. With plastics if you heat it up then it will melt together. So you could melt it then smooth it out with bondo. Its what I plan on doing. I would go with a wings west kit but i just really dont like the looks of their fronts. Mugen is still my favorite front and sides.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
when those series of hurricanes ripped through florida this past year i hit branch in the road and split my type arrrr lip all the way up, I temporarily have it held together via poxy and it's strong as hell the only problem is it looks like a whole lot of lard on the lip now...I'm just too lazy to sand it down

oh that same branch ripped my driver side sideskirt clean off too, again i used the poxy and holds damn good

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well there is nothing to worry about now. i ran off the road last friday night and freakin shattered the whole damn thing. its in about 200 different pieces on side the road. pisses me off!!! so now i need a new one

·
Registered
868 Posts
you know your accord isn't a rally car right?

j/k, that sucks!
wel now you can get a good urethane lip

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mrmyz said:
so true they are so flexable you can twist them and nothing will happen

what if i only want the urathyne front mugen style lip? where can i find it. and for how much?

·
Registered
98 Posts
i have the mugen style front lip made outta the ABS plastic...and it has a crack on the side of it on the drivers side but only cause my car got tapped when it was in a parking lot by another cars wheel...but ive bottomed out on it a bunch of times pulling into parking lots and stuff, and its a little scuffed on the bottom but its holding up good...esspecially in the cold new england weather right now...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts