Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
6,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i bought a new mobo (asus P5E) and CPU (intel 8300). but after it goes to POST, i get Disk Read Error, plress alt+ctl+del to restart. which only does the same thing.

The HDD IS recognized in bios and during POST, and i tried the jumper settings in both master and cable select. I am using an older IDE 160gb HD. i changed the cable, and know the HDD works since i put it make with my old mobo and cpu and it works fine

any thoughts?

· Registered
2,529 Posts
You might want to look at the boot order in the BIOS, and/or make sure that your IDE ports are turned on since most mobo manufacturers believe that most users will be using SATA, and they may turn off the IDE ports unless you need them. Also check to see if there is an IDE compatibility mode. Lastly, make sure that if the board has on-board IDE RAID capabilities, that it is not set up to do RAID since you only have one drive.

· Registered
6,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might want to look at the boot order in the BIOS, and/or make sure that your IDE ports are turned on since most mobo manufacturers believe that most users will be using SATA, and they may turn off the IDE ports unless you need them. Also check to see if there is an IDE compatibility mode. Lastly, make sure that if the board has on-board IDE RAID capabilities, that it is not set up to do RAID since you only have one drive.
yea checked the boot order and the IDE raid setup, and all checks out. i downloaded and flashed the lasted version of the bios from ASUS but still getting nada

· Registered
41,903 Posts
i had this issue happen to me at random recently which i was trying to install 2003 server on a blank hdd... the only way i could get it to boot was to reformat all the drives and reinstall the OS. I think it had to do with a sata/ide setup

· Registered
1,328 Posts
so i bought a new mobo (asus P5E) and CPU (intel 8300). but after it goes to POST, i get Disk Read Error, plress alt+ctl+del to restart. which only does the same thing.

The HDD IS recognized in bios and during POST, and i tried the jumper settings in both master and cable select. I am using an older IDE 160gb HD. i changed the cable, and know the HDD works since i put it make with my old mobo and cpu and it works fine

any thoughts?

i just got the same thing on my laptop.

what i had to do was connect it to another computer and did a format, but NOT a QUICK format, but the long format.

Windows would not load on a quick format.

this is the 2nd time my HD took a crap. So now dell is sending me a new one.

· Registered
41,903 Posts
i just got the same thing on my laptop.

what i had to do was connect it to another computer and did a format, but NOT a QUICK format, but the long format.

Windows would not load on a quick format.

this is the 2nd time my HD took a crap. So now dell is sending me a new one.
yeah i forgot to mention i did a hard format

· Registered
12,453 Posts
i had this issue happen to me at random recently which i was trying to install 2003 server on a blank hdd... the only way i could get it to boot was to reformat all the drives and reinstall the OS. I think it had to do with a sata/ide setup
werd, this usually works

· Registered
2,529 Posts
Probably have to do a windows repair or reinstall since Windows has security enabled and senses the change in the motherboard, and thinks that you're copying to a new system, so it's antipiracy system kicks in.

· Registered
6,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Probably have to do a windows repair or reinstall since Windows has security enabled and senses the change in the motherboard, and thinks that you're copying to a new system, so it's antipiracy system kicks in.
yea that may be the case as well. on a side note, could it be that im only using a 350watt PS? i did ASUS' minimum wattage checker on their website and it recommends at least 500 watts for my setup. so if there is a lacking in power, would it keep the HDD from spinning, or would the whole computer crash and restart more than likely due to lack of power?

and its a 40 pin IDE HDD

· Registered
20,101 Posts
yea that may be the case as well. on a side note, could it be that im only using a 350watt PS? i did ASUS' minimum wattage checker on their website and it recommends at least 500 watts for my setup. so if there is a lacking in power, would it keep the HDD from spinning, or would the whole computer crash and restart more than likely due to lack of power?

and its a 40 pin IDE HDD
that could be, you can get a good psu for pretty cheap these days

an underpowered psu can cause all kinds of odd problems

· Registered
6,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that could be, you can get a good psu for pretty cheap these days

an underpowered psu can cause all kinds of odd problems
yea i was thinking simular. unfortunately ill have to order a new PSU since im in the more "remote" part of germany.

im planning on switching to SATA HDDs anyways and running vista (stupid XP only recognizes 3.5gigs of ram) so push comes to shove, ill just have to wait till i have more money to reap the benifits of the new stuff

· Registered
20,101 Posts
yea i was thinking simular. unfortunately ill have to order a new PSU since im in the more "remote" part of germany.

im planning on switching to SATA HDDs anyways and running vista (stupid XP only recognizes 3.5gigs of ram) so push comes to shove, ill just have to wait till i have more money to reap the benifits of the new stuff
xp isn't stupid, you need 64bit xp for anything over 3.5-4gigs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.