Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new owner of a honda. This will be my first one. It is an 1989 Honda accord lx sedan AT. i am thinking about doing an engine swap, but so far i havent been able to find anything on the net to help with what will fit and any other information that can help me with this project. Any one with some info. just reply. thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ehh

i want to keep the auto trans. just because. its going to be mostly body work, i just wanted to get an engine to keep up with the stock cars out on the road now. i talked to my friend about it. maybe rebuild the engine? i don't know. as the caption under my name suggest. i am a brand spanking newbie.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
if you REALLY want to keep the auto, then get the gsr auto tranny and drop that in w/ the gsr motor. it's a shame though to have such a good motor and an auto :yawn

·
Registered
81 Posts
Auto trans = slushbox

If youre doing mostly body work why bother with a motor swap? JUst put some little mods on the motor and make it another case of all show and no go.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
and if you really want to go all show, then superhonda really isn't the place to be.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i want the go

definatly i want the go. i mean body work can always be done later. before my accord i drove a toyota and i hated the hondas. then accident. low budget. and here i am. lovin this accord thoe. got sum kick for an 89'. well with the gsr (since i hear it mentioned so much) wut year? and how much, guesstamation. i dont mind im losin sick speed with the auto trans. i wouldnt think even if i did the full transmission change i can compete with the newer models on the road now. i just wanna smoke sum idiot in his 2005 civic. haha

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
actually, the 3gen is pretty light and will hold it's own. if you're in LA as in Los Angeles, i can probably do the swap as long as it's fuel injected. you're lookin at around $4k parts and labor to keep the auto tranny.

edit: oh and please don't be street racing :) street racing is for pussy ricers :nod

Reactions: hobie237

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
actually, the 3gen is pretty light and will hold it's own. if you're in LA as in Los Angeles, i can probably do the swap as long as it's fuel injected. you're lookin at around $4k parts and labor to keep the auto tranny.

edit: oh and please don't be street racing :) street racing is for pussy ricers :nod

i would go with the manual swap also... its worth it...

and yeah, no street racing, please

·
Registered
365 Posts
dude, my friend is giving me and 89 accord with a B20 engine, man tran and ECU in it. the problems with that is that the 89's are carburators (at least this one is) and they are OBD 0. he had to switch it to FI and make it OBD I and he can't get it running, so i have find out what's wrong with it and fix it. go me, but it's free and it's got aftermarket rod, pistons and it's bored out a little extra. the whole bottom end is built.

all i can say from this bit is that the B20 sounds like the way to go as long as you put in A-market rods cause stock ones are flimsy... but any Integra engine would be good

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea, the 89's r carburators. how much of a problem will it be? sorry guys new to the whole modified scene. fuck street racing. i just wanna get to point A to point B, really fast. haha.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
suspiciousJ said:
I am a new owner of a honda. This will be my first one. It is an 1989 Honda accord lx sedan AT. i am thinking about doing an engine swap, but so far i havent been able to find anything on the net to help with what will fit and any other information that can help me with this project. Any one with some info. just reply. thanks.
r u from LA, Cali or LA as in lousiana? b/c im from louisiana :ninja

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, i really thought about it. i do want to do a full transmission change. i thought that would just be a HUGH hassle, with makin a new hole for the clutch and what not. but wuts the point of havin a powerful engine if i cant use its full potential. also had a question, with cold air intake, would it be a waste if i put it on, say without havin turbo or a super charger?

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
the cold air intakes that are mass produced aren't for forced induction, but the original equipment replacement (NA)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fantastic, just for my knowledge so i wont get ripped off at the mechanics. wut r they gunna do to have to change my auto tranny to a manuel?

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
if it's not just a plug, then they'll have to drill a hole in the firewall for the clutch pedal. they'll change your pedal assembly to a manual assembly. change the shifting mechanism, change the ecu, add the clutch resevoir and lines, etc etc etc....check out the FAQs. we have a thread dedicated to the auto to manual swap.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts