Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm new here, I don't have a Honda, I'm a big Saturn guy but Hondas are really nice. My grandmother bought a 2004 Accord LX this past July and I had some questions and I hope someone can answer them.

Her owner's manual says to change the oil every 10,000 miles, or every 5000 miles in severe conditions. Her dealer told her to change it every 10,000 miles. She's going to wait until then, but I don't understand why so long?

It has around 4,000 miles on it now, and hasn't used any oil, but they're not even using sythetic oil, just 5W20. Is it ok to go that long? Do any of you wait that long, and have you had any problems in doing so? I know Hondas last a long time, but do they last very long waiting so long to do an oil change?

I just wanted to clear that up....tell me of your experiences with oil change intervals and the results.

Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'd be really leary about waiting 10,000 miles. I've heard test data that says that it's OK, but I suppose that I'm a traditionalist and like the 3,000 mile intervals. If it were my car, and I also have an 04 Accord, I'd change the oil every 5,000 miles at the latest.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
the new accord motors are VERY clean running. you can change the oil every 10,000 miles because it's just a great motor. however, if one romps on the accelerator a lot, 5000 miles is more reasonable.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
:stupid......

I read a article in Car and Driver where this mechanic said you can go 5-6000 miles between oil changes, especially using synthetic oil. He mention alot of people come in every 3000 miles to get there oil changed and the oil he drains out still has 75-80% of it's life left. Guess where he said that oil ends up????

In the mechanic's car..:hehe

I change my oil in my lude every 3-4k because I'm in the city and do alot of stop and go driving...with my Galant, I have to change it right at 3k because you can feel it shifting rough at any mileage over that...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts