Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Racing Exhaust Header last week, arriving tomorrow. The problem was the recalled OEM exhaust manifolds, you know the ones that crack and are displayed on your dash via CEL. Anyway after, searching high and low could not find one less than $100 used or $200 new. So, I bought the Header. It has two O2 ports for sensors, but, isn't the OEM manifold attached to a "pre-Cat"? The new header does not have one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 98 DX 4 Dr, mine looks like the second pix. When trying to locate a new one, they now come in two pieces, supposedly with thicker cast iron to prevent cracking

·
Registered
526 Posts
Civicz98 said:
I have a 98 DX 4 Dr, mine looks like the second pix. When trying to locate a new one, they now come in two pieces, supposedly with thicker cast iron to prevent cracking
There is no "pre-cat". The part you called a "pre-cat" is the cat. You have buy an ex type cat, because the dx header/cat does not come apart.

What you need is a carsound high flow cat and part #26 form below.

http://inlinefour.com/carunhigcatc.html
http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/ima...3S020.003.5.gif

What brand is the header?

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
your gonna run into two things that will hinder the project.

1) the piping after you get the header and another cat will not bolt directly to the exhaust. it will be too long and you'll need to do one of tow things. get an ex catback, or have an exhaust shop reweld the piping to make it work.

2) the 2nd o2 sensor. the connection is way too short to make it back to the rear end of the cat. so you'll need an extension harness for the o2 sensor wires and a way of getting the plug to the bung.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, that's the Cat... So I will not have one now? I haven't had an emissions via the tail pipe since I had the Car. It's usually through the ECU port under the dash. I have to get my car inspected. It has been out since 04/06. Failed on CEL, o2 Sensor one. That's when i found the crack in the manifold. So, I have to buy this carsound high flow cat. Man, $100 my wife is going to shit !!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Civicz98 said:
So, that's the Cat... So I will not have one now? I haven't had an emissions via the tail pipe since I had the Car. It's usually through the ECU port under the dash. I have to get my car inspected. It has been out since 04/06. Failed on CEL, o2 Sensor one. That's when i found the crack in the manifold. So, I have to buy this carsound high flow cat. Man, $100 my wife is going to shit !!
Yes that was the cat, and now you dont have one. If you want to use that header then you need...

carsound high flow cat
an 96-00 EX/Si exhaust
96-00 EX/SiO2 SENSOR SUB-WIRE
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/13s020_d09.gif
part #26

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All righty then, thanks. I need all three items on your list. I dont have any of those parts. No wonder its more expensive just to replace the OEM manifold.

Another Dumb question: All of these parts will bolt up with cutting on anything? Also, is the EX/Si exhaust the pipe (in your illustration) between the Cat and the Muffler?

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Civicz98 said:
Another Dumb question: All of these parts will bolt up with cutting on anything? Also, is the EX/Si exhaust the pipe (in your illustration) between the Cat and the Muffler?
all will be well with the parts he listed. and yes thats what he meant.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.