Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Dyno ;) Im assuming your friend has some sort of engine managment if so he needs to hit up the dyno to get it tuned there he can find out what the best place for him to shift is. If your friend doesnt have any sort of engine managment then he needs it with cams and he wont be able to go past the stock redline anyway.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Should be around the same or a little more. Since you didn't do anything to your bottom end, revving it higher will just reduce your reliability. If you want a higher rpm engine, you have to do more than the valves. You'll have to dramatically reduce your rotating mass.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
spray004 said:
Should be around the same or a little more. Since you didn't do anything to your bottom end, revving it higher will just reduce your reliability. If you want a higher rpm engine, you have to do more than the valves. You'll have to dramatically reduce your rotating mass.

my fault... forgot to mention that before we dropped the new engine we built it with lighter internals, among other things... we just now did the valvetrain tho... my bad

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
hobie237 said:
my fault... forgot to mention that before we dropped the new engine we built it with lighter internals, among other things... we just now did the valvetrain tho... my bad
Basically at this point, it all depends on where the engine stops making power as everyone says. Depends on the cam profiles.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
hobie237 said:
well, i guess we're off to the dyno whenever we get a chance... hoping to get it around 10k, maybe 10500.... fingers crossed...
I think you should just be happy going to 9K.....

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
hobie237 said:
nahhhh... "only" 9k would not involve nearly enough frustration for my taste... lol... we got a small block chevy to shift at 10k
Most engines with a "crazy" build with quite a bit of lift and duration like the S2S2's and JUN 4's like to be taken up to 9500 - 9700 RPM or so. That should be enough to satisfy most all motor whores.

·
Registered
173 Posts
jesus

10000 revs?

jesus you musta built the hell outta that engine to be hoping for 10k's.....

so did you just put in lighter piston heads and connecting rods or was the whole engine blueprinted and such?

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
explosivpotato said:
10000 revs?

jesus you musta built the hell outta that engine to be hoping for 10k's.....

so did you just put in lighter piston heads and connecting rods or was the whole engine blueprinted and such?

lighter rods and pistons, better crank too

10k isnt unachievable... its been done with PUSHROD motors...

formula 1 cranks past 20k

·
Registered
173 Posts
i guess..

but doing it with pushrod motors cant be very safe.

probably wont last too long before it throws a rod, barring, of course, something like titanium rods or something rediculous.

and formula one cars run past 20 k with some crazy-ass internals made out of some alloys i cant pronounce....
crazy expensive stuff.

id actually pay to see someone try to make something rediculous like an h22 running 20 k.

sorry, this was kinda off topic, but i had to ask.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
hobie237 said:
lighter rods and pistons, better crank too

10k isnt unachievable... its been done with PUSHROD motors...

formula 1 cranks past 20k
Do you know how much time, money, research, ect. goes into F1 developement. I can tell you, they probably do more in one week than most people do in a lifetime.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
i think the highest F1 cars rev to is around ~19k.

and taking an engine up to 10k when it stops making power at 8500 is putting unneccesary stress on the engine.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Snoopy said:
i think the highest F1 cars rev to is around ~19k.

and taking an engine up to 10k when it stops making power at 8500 is putting unneccesary stress on the engine.
True...but plenty of mildly-moderately built engines with cams and matching valvetrain make power up to 9500 rpm.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts