Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought an 03 rsx type s, and i was wondering when ***** engages? looked through the owners manual and called the dealer, and they dont knopw when. pretty sad huh? anyway i would like to know, i havent done anything to it yet and cant hear the changeover to *****. please help

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
vtec engages when and ONLY when spelled correctly..

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
its called i-vtec. its on your damn engine for god's sake. :rolleyes

the transition is supposed to be smooth and not really heard or felt, on a stock car at least.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just wondering, sorry for sounding like a jack-ass. dont be so harsh. i had a 95 gsr and you could really hear the changeover. no big deal. thanks for your time

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
brad_farmer said:
just wondering, sorry for sounding like a jack-ass. dont be so harsh. i had a 95 gsr and you could really hear the changeover. no big deal. thanks for your time

you should be able to hear and feel the change over in a rsx-s...im not sure what rpm but its north of 5,000 rpms...redline that bish....

·
Registered
772 Posts
you cant hear the change over maybe its because of the "intelligent vtec" :hehe jk

·
Registered
679 Posts
The stock change over is 5800rpm. If you can't hear it cross over, your not paying enough attention to your car. I can tell you what rpm im at (plus or minus just a 1 or 2 hundred) just by the sound alone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
vTEC engage

older K20A2 blocks such as mine (up to 2005) are pretty damn obvious when they fully engage (between 5800 and 6000 rpm depending on speed/gear). Newer motors (K20Z1) should be more smooth in their transition. If you've got your foot in it all the way you're gonna move with either block. Just keep the rpm's fairly high if you want power, it's a Honda after all.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Congrats on your new RSX-S bro! 5800 is about were vtec engages, get a CAI and you will notice a huge difference in sound and performance. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
marshall mather said:
liek some other member mention, get CAI if you race, bcuase if you don't and only use your car for normal driving, it would suck to drive in the rain.

why would it suck to drive in the rain?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
marshall mather said:
liek some other member mention, get CAI if you race, bcuase if you don't and only use your car for normal driving, it would suck to drive in the rain.
So true :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
marshall mather said:
because there's a risk of flooding your engine :rolleyes

theres more of a risk having a CAI than stock. I've never heard of anyone getting water in there short ram or stock intake. But performance wise yes CAI. Unless you plan on submerging into water you will never flood it anyway.

·
Registered
440 Posts
as long as they dont decide to bring their mindless babble to the prelude forum :bh

·
Registered
48 Posts
i want a cai

i have an 04 S and the only reason i dont put a CAI in is because the dealership told me that they dont make a bypass valve (which prevents water from being sucked in) and that because of the higher risk, acura corporation may or may not choose to void certain parts of the warantee because of it....???

·
Registered
73 Posts
Snoopy said:
the transition is supposed to be smooth and not really heard or felt, on a stock car at least.
Wait, you get on the guy for not reading the engine block, then you say something like this???!!! Do you have a RSX-S?? If so, you must NEVER shift above 5K RPM b/c the vtec engagement is audibly clear!! You don't even have to listen closely 'cause it's pretty damn loud.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts