Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to know about classes, tracks etc. My car is a civic ex d16y8, I have cold air intake, tb spacer, header back exhaust, weight reduction level 1 a/c removed, v-afc, front and rear uppper strut tower braces, drop-zone coilovers, ingalls front race camber kit, rear obx camber kit, 205/50/15 tires and 15/6 gsr fat fives. looking to get higher duration cam, and new valve train and 5-speed tranny swap this summer so I can get into this sport. could like to know more abotu it and where I can compete around where I live. If anyones close shout me a holler and we'll travle together or something... [email protected] info you all could help me with would be great. thanks, fuller
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you man that helped alot...I have another question, I have drop zone coilovers, now I am getting it aligned and droping it another 2" on thursday..i was figuring on going with the shelby corbas suspension set of -.6 camber front and -.5 camber rear...what do you think? Is there money prizes for winning events? Since I don't have stock suspension is that and the fact I have a tb spacer going to throw me into another catagory?

I was figuring 0 toe as well, what does everyone think?

what's the difference between solo I and solo II??

is anyone going down to ripken stadium this sunday? I may take the 3 hour ride to watch or if talked into it I may participate. depends.. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,833 Posts
slammed jdm said:
thank you man that helped alot...I have another question, I have drop zone coilovers, now I am getting it aligned and droping it another 2" on thursday..i was figuring on going with the shelby corbas suspension set of -.6 camber front and -.5 camber rear...what do you think? Is there money prizes for winning events? Since I don't have stock suspension is that and the fact I have a tb spacer going to throw me into another catagory?

I was figuring 0 toe as well, what does everyone think?

what's the difference between solo I and solo II??

is anyone going down to ripken stadium this sunday? I may take the 3 hour ride to watch or if talked into it I may participate. depends.. :eek:
You don't want your car TOO low or you will bottom out the suspension which is bad. 0 toe is great, but the more negative camber you get on the front the better the front tires will get traction during cornering. I'd say -2.0 front and -1.5 back if you can.

Don't do any mods to you car. Alot of people think money=faster car. But that is not true until you are comfortable with your car when autocrossing. Typical person takes 1-2 years with at least 10-20 events per year to get comfortable. And when I mean comfortable I mean consistently the same time behind the more experienced drivers. With those mods you would be in SM (because of the throttle body spacer). If you put the stock one back in you would be in STS which is a great class to start with with bolt ons. And you can run street tires.

When you can consistently be the exact same time event to event behind the leaders then you should get into a novice autocross school that your region should have. I bet you $50 that you will drop more time with a novice autocross school than with the most expensive coilover system. The average novice will drop 4-8 seconds on an autocross course, whereas a coilover system might drop 1/2-1 second on the same course. So save your money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this car is my daily driver won't that camber wear my tires like a wow? I already have the coil-overs they've been on for about 2 years. We do some racing around here....the illegal kind :eek: (trying to go legit and not get my license taken) on the interstate and through town it's different but my car seems to be really stiff in the corners when taking a 90 turn on the interstate at speeds of 120+...
I have another problem my car is an automatic until I change it this summer.

is it ok that I run gsr wheels on my civic?they have a more aggressive and higher rated tires on them 205/50/15 kumho ecsta mx in front and some kinda aurora or something in the back(came on wheels). because I don't have steelies I have a feeling I'm gonna end up being in the sm class and am going to have to deal with it. So where is the next race within my region? I can't seem to find it anywhere on the internet. I'm sorry I'm such a nag but I don't know a thing other than the link you gave me...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
If you have adjustable camber plates, just set them to the more aggresive setting at the track or autox. Change it back for street driving. Of course, since this is competitive expect accelrated wear on all your cars components, but you aren't going to wear out the inner threads of your tires by setting the camber -2 degrees in front for autox.

Any newbie to autox is going to understeer like crazy their first time out. Its just a tendency for you to go in to a corner too quickly at first. Just remember to leave your ego at the door when you go to your first event. Don't expect to be a hot shoe just because of the mods. You will find experienced drivers with much lower hp cars (bone stock even) that will blow your times out of the water. Thats expected. Find someone experienced and have them ride with you. Try to get rides with others and pay attention to where they are looking. Just keep your eyes way up and look for where you want to go. Every corner practice slow in, fast out. You will see after a few events you will be getting quicker and quicker. Just remember there is always something new to learn. good luck and enjoy! I'm glad another person decided to race where its safe and legal. you are already ahead of the game by choosing to go.

-jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,833 Posts
slammed jdm said:
this car is my daily driver won't that camber wear my tires like a wow? I already have the coil-overs they've been on for about 2 years. We do some racing around here....the illegal kind :eek: (trying to go legit and not get my license taken) on the interstate and through town it's different but my car seems to be really stiff in the corners when taking a 90 turn on the interstate at speeds of 120+...
I have another problem my car is an automatic until I change it this summer.

is it ok that I run gsr wheels on my civic?they have a more aggressive and higher rated tires on them 205/50/15 kumho ecsta mx in front and some kinda aurora or something in the back(came on wheels). because I don't have steelies I have a feeling I'm gonna end up being in the sm class and am going to have to deal with it. So where is the next race within my region? I can't seem to find it anywhere on the internet. I'm sorry I'm such a nag but I don't know a thing other than the link you gave me...

Toe kills tires not camber. BUt a combination of extreme toe and extreme camber will really killl tires. That is why I recommended 0 toe front and rear. Going 90mph in a corner on the street is way different that 50mph at an autocross. I guarentee it.

I ran my auto 1993 Civic Ex for 3-4 years taking PA States in 1998 in my class.

For STS you can run up to 7.5" wheels and 225 wide tires so you should be fine, but you have to change that throttle body spacer.

Go to http://www.scca.com to find a region near you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what about the v-afc? will that throw me in a different class?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i found out today that the shop I work for does performance suspension setups. The guy I work for sets up a red sho that apparently is some sort of champion around here. So he told me what you said that 2.0 is the best but he said for both I could run 1.5 and be okay with tire wear and corner fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
good luck man I'm going my first in two weeks. I'm scurred. <---seriously.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,562 Posts
slammed jdm said:
good luck man I'm going my first in two weeks. I'm scurred. <---seriously.
im a girl ;)
but yeah i honeslty am scared too..
i've ridden with others but the idea of doing it on my own.. just freaks me out
but i've wanted to do it for so long im just sucking it up and doing it..

worst thing that will happen i figure is i'll hate it.. but at least i'll KNOW that i hate it and won't be in the constant state of wonderig...

i'll let you know how it goes.... don't worry :byye
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,833 Posts
playindagamewell said:
im a girl ;)
but yeah i honeslty am scared too..
i've ridden with others but the idea of doing it on my own.. just freaks me out
but i've wanted to do it for so long im just sucking it up and doing it..

worst thing that will happen i figure is i'll hate it.. but at least i'll KNOW that i hate it and won't be in the constant state of wonderig...

i'll let you know how it goes.... don't worry :byye
Don't worry we were all like that. I remember how giddy and nervous I was at my 1st autocross. I was shaking so bad :) But I took 1st that day too :) And in fact I was heading to a car show that day and saw these people running through a parking lot with cones so I stopped by to see.

They talked me into competiting :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,574 Posts
went to my first event yesterday at Nassau Coliseum in Long Island, NY...
WHAT A BLAST!!!
it is so true to leave your cocky arrogance at home as you will get schooled by cars that can't even accelerate onto the highway...

example...
there was a 4th gen civic dx with STOCK 70 hp engine... he ran 55 seconds...
i have a 97 dx hatch civic with stock engine, aem cold air, dc headers, blitz full exhaust, nuespeed springs, and kyb agx shocks, and 16 inch rotas on kumho supra 712 tires...
my best was a 65!!!

and DO NOT WORRY about being nervous...
i was trembling from all the anxiety of my first time, but this seems to be the only motorsports event where EVERYONE IS SUPER FRIENDLY and more than willing to help out!!!

YOU HAVE GUYS JUST COMING OVER TO YOU WHILE SITTING IN YOUR CAR AND ASKING HOW YOU FEEL... IF YOU'RE OKAY WITH THE COURSE, DO YOU NEED ANY HELP, WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO RIDE WITH YOU, ETC...

i am gonna go again and again...
this is by far the most fun you can have for so little an expense...

i paid $40 and was gauranteed at least 6 runs for the day...
i was too content after only 3 runs, that i decided to call it a day...
my body was sore (in a good way), like i had spent a whole day working out at the gym...

but i had the biggest grin on my face the whole day...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,562 Posts
HOLY SHIT... so i auto crossed for the first time EVER this weekend... i always wanted to do it... but i never really "balled" up to it :hehe

somehow tho last week i just sucked it up and made the deicision and i told my self to JUST DO IT... otherwise i'd always be sitting on the sidelines wondering if i was missing out on something

and let me tell you I TOTALLY WAS MISSING OUT.. i had so much freaking fun behind the wheel of my car, totally 100% legally on sunday... some of the best fun I have ever had for 30 bucks!!!

being that it was my first time i totally didn't test the limits of the car I just wanted to get out there and get a feel for what was going on and a feel for my car in the situation... we got to run 6 times.. and each time my time improved ... i won't tell ya how bad i ran... but i will say i'm not worried about how shitty my times were cuz even going into the event i told myself i wasn't worried about going fast yet i was more worried about just getting out there and doing it... so now that i have some tiny bit of confidence that i can at least drive the course :hehe i look forward to testing myself and the car some...

Here's a few pix a freind took who was there watching...
like i said i had six runs.. and only the last one i drove alone in.. just cuz i took people out with me who had knwon what was going on so they could yell at me to NOT ride the clutch, to not cross my hands on the wheel and to GO FASTER!!!!









 

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so I am the only newbie on here who hasn't went....damn. oh well 2 more weeks guys 2 more weeks... siracer you going to be there? Congrats to you 2 I hope my first will be as good as yours were.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top