Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I recently bought a 96 Accord LX. I love it, its my baby. It has the 4 cylinder with a 5 spd and it will definitly get up and go(IMO) Ok the techincal questions, theres a few, I put new headlights dims first and everything was fine, then bout a week later put new brights on and that same day my turn signls quit workin any ideas? I checked all the fuses their fine when I turn the switch to signal a turn nothing happens the dash light don't come on and neither do the exterior lights. Any help is appreciated. Ok second question when I'm driving at certain angles I feel a little bit of wobble in the steering not much justa hair. The car tracks through turns and striaghts good, theres no slop in the steering( that I can tell) what might this be? Ok now the last question what is the differance in the LX and EX engines cause the EX is supposed to have 20 more horses and I'm wonderin if maybe the computer was just remapped from the factory to boost power cuZ if it was I could just swap ecu's and pick up 20 horses Right?

Ok go easy on me I didn't do any searchin for info so a few of you might wanna flame a bit but its late and I only have a little while on the net tonight. I'm not a total newb when it comes to cars I'm tryin to learn more so any info provided is appreciated. I'v never owned a Honda before so I know very little bout them I did buy a Haynes repair manual and have done some minor work myself( new pads, new rotors which were a major pain in the ass) Oh and could anyone suggest a good MSD ignition for my car preferably with a rev limiter to help keep me out of the red( have to really watch myself when I'm doin burnouts :) Any and all comments suggestions and info is GREATLY appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,716 Posts
Wobble, Check alignment

LX, no vtec and you cant swap ecu's to get more speed

You are not making anywhere near a fraction of the power required to upgrade your ignition system. If you want to stay out of the redzone, then dont push so high and shift lower....

Lights, check the dimmer switch and the hazard switch.

The stock accord lx may chirp from a dead stop but wont do much of a "burnout" unless the ground is wet or your tires are crap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
what are you lloking to do with your car? forced induction or naturally aspirated? how much power do you want? how much money do you want to spend? you're gonna want to figure that stuff out before you do anything, otherwise your gonna end up smacking yourself for spending too much money on stuff you dont need.
 

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
Joined
·
21,367 Posts
rice? you won't learn anything of value about rice here. (except that street racers are pussy ricers). rice = useless modifications.


also, the different between lx and ex is more than just the ecu. there are differences inside the motor that cannot be easily swapped for the extra power. if you want a basic grab about the accord, check out the links in this sticky: http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78633

oh yeah, and welcome to superhonda :tu
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okaymy project buildup was to be a nice "sleeper car" something that looks 95% stock but wil eat the mustangs and 5' wingers up. Boost would be a definite but havn't done my homework so I'm not sure what kindve trouble I could expect. I don't have a lot of money on student budget right now but is an LX worth buildin since I don't have the mighty VTEC. And perhaps a stupid question but is NOS really worth it? Sure theres power to be had but 600 to a 1g for something I have to refill? input is appreciated.
To TSM_Pikachu theirs nothing chirping bout my tires if I rev bout 35k to 4k and dump the clutch either tire or occasionally both will dissapear in the wheel well shrouded in smoke, I thinks it pretty damn cool very intimidating lookin. I dont know if the tires are shit or not but they handle the twistys pertty Damn good. As to upgrading my ignition I read somewhere that as you rev higher stock ignition will kindve muddle the signals MSD is supposed to stop that. And the lights, the dimmer switch works fine not flakey or anything the turn signals didn't fade or get flakey they just stopped suddenly wich in my mind screamed FUSE, but I was wrong.
Thanks for the input keep it comin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,716 Posts
96Red_Rocket_LX said:
Okaymy project buildup was to be a nice "sleeper car" something that looks 95% stock but wil eat the mustangs and 5' wingers up. Boost would be a definite but havn't done my homework so I'm not sure what kindve trouble I could expect. I don't have a lot of money on student budget right now but is an LX worth buildin since I don't have the mighty VTEC. And perhaps a stupid question but is NOS really worth it? Sure theres power to be had but 600 to a 1g for something I have to refill? input is appreciated.
To TSM_Pikachu theirs nothing chirping bout my tires if I rev bout 35k to 4k and dump the clutch either tire or occasionally both will dissapear in the wheel well shrouded in smoke, I thinks it pretty damn cool very intimidating lookin. I dont know if the tires are shit or not but they handle the twistys pertty Damn good. As to upgrading my ignition I read somewhere that as you rev higher stock ignition will kindve muddle the signals MSD is supposed to stop that. And the lights, the dimmer switch works fine not flakey or anything the turn signals didn't fade or get flakey they just stopped suddenly wich in my mind screamed FUSE, but I was wrong.
Thanks for the input keep it comin
Something that will beat Mustangs and 5 wingers up; My brothers car was a 01 Accord with a h22 fully built and a t3/t04e turbo system with a heavy ass tune that cost him $15k. That got him beating people left and right so......unless you have an endless bank account and dont need your car for a week or two at a time, then by all means go for huge boost and beating sports cars and other cars designed for speed. Accords are meant for families, comfort and convenience but with cash can be made to go faster. Find the middle line; if you wanted speed you should have bought a faster car.......not a flame; jus the reality of it. There is a difference between sports car or muscle car and grocery getter accords.
Almighty VTEC; sure the VTEC version will kick the shit out of a non vtec accord, a civic and some other cars. After that; it isnt much more man; the VTEC system isnt a huge hype as it is on say.......an integra GSR. there is a difference between the SOHC vtec and the dohc vtec.
I guarantee you this; you and me both rev to 3-4k and dump the clutch; two things will happen. 1. you will spin your tires and maybe look cool. 2. I will grip and be gone. Dont equate wheel spin to hp/tq that a car has. It'll be a horrible mistake to do that; anyone with crap tires and smaller wheels can spin the wheels from a stop. I mean hell my old automatic accord could do it and that thing was 125hp,135tq and 14inch wheels on a 60 series tire.
The car might handle twisties pretty good right now because you dont know what it can do with a quality suspension on there. Sure it might do great around some bends but the REAL test is up a mountain side where there is climbing needed, blind turns, bends, longer bends, quick acceleration and braking are needed...........trust me, i've seen a stock accord v6 (more power than yours), a stock accord lx and a stock accord ex (me) do it and trust me........there is a huge difference.
A bad hazard switch will cause turn signals to not come on, nor work.
A bad dimmer switch will cause all lights not to work.
MSD ignition will do absolutely nothing for you at all; you simply are not making enough power to warrant this. My car is the EX and probably makes a bit more than you and I wouldnt even buy upgraded ignition, it is simply not needed. Dont beleive the hype on it......the stock ignition is more than capable of powering the car and with your motor I would not rev it so high; the stock accord motor while strong......will eventually give up if you keep beating on it. If you go with nitrous or turbo then yes that would warrant getting an MSD due to the fact that it has a built in timing retard but thats a whole different ballgame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was't issuing a challenge or anyhting was just kind'v standin up for my baby. The reason I didn't buy a sports car is the insurance would have eaten me alive. And looking through parts catologues and seeing the abundance of parts available I figured what the hell buy an Accord(like it cuz its a bit roomier than a Civic and I'm 6'4") and build it a bit none of the fast and the furious 10 sec cars just a "grocery getter" that will put these little 5' winger ricers to shame cuz most of them only have minor engine work with major body work. And is their anyway I can use a standard switch to replace the hazrd light switch or straight wire so it will work till I can find a replacement? All input appreciated
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,716 Posts
96Red_Rocket_LX said:
Was't issuing a challenge or anyhting was just kind'v standin up for my baby. The reason I didn't buy a sports car is the insurance would have eaten me alive. And looking through parts catologues and seeing the abundance of parts available I figured what the hell buy an Accord(like it cuz its a bit roomier than a Civic and I'm 6'4") and build it a bit none of the fast and the furious 10 sec cars just a "grocery getter" that will put these little 5' winger ricers to shame cuz most of them only have minor engine work with major body work. And is their anyway I can use a standard switch to replace the hazrd light switch or straight wire so it will work till I can find a replacement? All input appreciated
Actually none of them have anything that would be considered minor engine work. Bolt on's are bolt ons and are not considered "work"
Accord is roomier than civics and yea insurance SUCKS hahhahhaha
An engine swap will give you more than you need to beat up the bishes and have some fun. Oh yea and body kits, altezza lights, blue headlights, fog lights, nozzle lights and wings dont count as major body work. Jus laugh and keep on steppin' hahaha cuz truly its not worth the few min out of your life to put them to shame. They already regret it hahahahha
You CANNOT replace the hazard with a standard switch. Basic way to tell if it is working and is the problem? Hit the switch and if your blinkers work, then it is not the problem. However........if you hit the switch and nothing happens........not even clicking.........then that is ur issue.
www.tasauto.com might carry the replacement for you, or hell even ebay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,742 Posts
96Red_Rocket_LX said:
Was't issuing a challenge or anyhting was just kind'v standin up for my baby. The reason I didn't buy a sports car is the insurance would have eaten me alive. And looking through parts catologues and seeing the abundance of parts available I figured what the hell buy an Accord(like it cuz its a bit roomier than a Civic and I'm 6'4") and build it a bit none of the fast and the furious 10 sec cars just a "grocery getter" that will put these little 5' winger ricers to shame cuz most of them only have minor engine work with major body work. And is their anyway I can use a standard switch to replace the hazrd light switch or straight wire so it will work till I can find a replacement? All input appreciated
I have a 96 accord EX (which has the VTEC) and there is no way you can smoke your tires from a stand still on dry pavement. the only time I was able to actually smoke the tires was after a nice downpour and I had nearly bald tires. you can maybe chirp them and possibly get a alittle haze (depending on the pavement type, black top is best)
I've been in a lx accord and I would kill myself if I had any less power than my EX
Now personally as a student I just took the "show" route. I realize that the Accord is slow (even tho it will beat most civics excluding the SI's, and most other accords of 97 and earlier) and I don't have the funds to make it fast yet. so don't expect to get her moving fast unless you dump well over 5 grand (and thats for about 200-300 ponies)
and you certainly aren't going to be beating mustangs like Magnetic said unless you spend well over 10g's (especailly since the new Shelby is going to be like 600hp)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright dude but I know it'll smoke em I'll post some pics as soon as I can take some and figure out how to, any instructions on how to would be great
 

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
Joined
·
21,367 Posts
burnouts on the street is for pussy ricers. are YOU a pussy ricer?

if you're on a budget, then you gotta start saving up. there are three things to tuning: power, price and reliability. you're only allowed to have two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,742 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
burnouts on the street is for pussy ricers. are YOU a pussy ricer?

if you're on a budget, then you gotta start saving up. there are three things to tuning: power, price and reliability. you're only allowed to have two.
good rule of thumb Magnetic. and to clear my name of me talking about doing burnouts, it was because a friend of mine back in highschool who owned a stang 5.0 lx said I couldn't spin em, it just happned that it rained that day and the parking lot was fresh blacktop.

the only accord I've ever seen accomplish a real burnout was turbo'd out the ass. and just don't do them you will regret it once your tires explode and hurdle you into a ditch or building :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,716 Posts
Gosei_Passion said:
good rule of thumb Magnetic. and to clear my name of me talking about doing burnouts, it was because a friend of mine back in highschool who owned a stang 5.0 lx said I couldn't spin em, it just happned that it rained that day and the parking lot was fresh blacktop.

the only accord I've ever seen accomplish a real burnout was turbo'd out the ass. and just don't do them you will regret it once your tires explode and hurdle you into a ditch or building :p
I can spin on dry blacktop for like a couple seconds......even longer on wet......means nothing really. burnouts look cool, thas about it, beyond that its called stupid...............tires are expensive and so are the chips that the rocks will make on ur paint. I think we've all been to the stage where we thought it was cool, then we get smarter to it. :clap
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,062 Posts
TSM_Pikachu said:
I can spin on dry blacktop for like a couple seconds......even longer on wet......means nothing really. burnouts look cool, thas about it, beyond that its called stupid...............tires are expensive and so are the chips that the rocks will make on ur paint. I think we've all been to the stage where we thought it was cool, then we get smarter to it. :clap
And I used to pull the ebrake to spin teh ole CRX around, it was fun back then
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,742 Posts
joeyl said:
And I used to pull the ebrake to spin teh ole CRX around, it was fun back then
HAHA man that still is fun......when you don't have rims and tires you're trying to protect with your life :clap
i mean on dry i can spin em and maybe get a small cloud (did it on accdient when i was trying to avoid being tboned) but wet yet I can maybe hold it a few seconds..but those days are over..not putting $400 in tires to waste
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,716 Posts
Gosei_Passion said:
HAHA man that still is fun......when you don't have rims and tires you're trying to protect with your life :clap
i mean on dry i can spin em and maybe get a small cloud (did it on accdient when i was trying to avoid being tboned) but wet yet I can maybe hold it a few seconds..but those days are over..not putting $400 in tires to waste
Exactly........
A $1000 rim set and $400 into tires..........um............................yea i dont think i wanna go blazing through these things that quickly hahahaha
 

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
Joined
·
21,367 Posts
my accord was able to do burnouts when i lined up at the track....hell i could spin the shit out of first, second and third gears w/ street tires. it was a problem i had to deal with, but w/ some pedal control, it wasn't too bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,896 Posts
TSM_Pikachu said:
Sure it might do great around some bends but the REAL test is up a mountain side where there is climbing needed, blind turns, bends, longer bends, quick acceleration and braking are needed...........trust me, i've seen a stock accord v6 (more power than yours), a stock accord lx and a stock accord ex (me) do it and trust me........there is a huge difference.
blind turns? what if there's a car coming the opposite way and you understeer through this blind corner...or if you spin out and hit a wall..or end up on the other side of the road...you're basically telling this guy streetracing is fine and mountain "racing" is about 100 times more dangerous...bring it to the track
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,716 Posts
azian21485 said:
blind turns? what if there's a car coming the opposite way and you understeer through this blind corner...or if you spin out and hit a wall..or end up on the other side of the road...you're basically telling this guy streetracing is fine and mountain "racing" is about 100 times more dangerous...bring it to the track
Dont read much do you?
I did not say race around blind turns, nor did i say street race and nor did I say go race up a mountain. I leave all that bullshit to boosted mr-s from what i've seen of his vids.
You need something with more juice to get up a mountain road rather than a all stock accord lx.
You need better brakes than a stock lx can give to be able to control urself while up there and going down
You need a quality suspension so that you dont body roll the hell out of ur lane or get all squirrly
You need to learn how your car responds to twists and turns BEFORE you do any other things.
Also, I would be careful about telling me about "bring it to the track" because i used to go out there every other weekend when my brother and i were modding his car.
So no, im not tellin him what to do nor am i telling him to race in any form.........read it......understand it...........dont jump to conclusions next time.

How do I know about the cars I posted above..........well.....
i saw a vid of the last canyon run where boosted mr-s passed everyone on the oncoming traffic lane while goin up the mountain, and he also swerved in and out and cut a straight path through bends........so if u wanna lecture someone, go pm him.
How do i know about the accord v6? PM khanhcord and ask him how his car did on mt.wilson
How do I know about a stock accord lx/ex PM MiS because he was on the mt.wilson run too and both him and khanhcord were the slowest cars and most of the time bringing up the rear
How do I know my ex did alright, well I hung with about mid pack and kept my distance, how do I know that you cant go balls crazy with a suspension even on a mountain? PM ballzout because his name i think is rich and he had a crx spin out on the way back down from our arrowhead meet and he wasnt pushing it at all; my car also lost it and the backend slid about an inch or two when taking a turn pretty quickly. Only reason for the pushin around that turn was one of our members was tailgating my friend (2 lane each side) and I passed on the inside, the tailgater swung out from behind her, punched it and almost hit my ass,soooooooooooooooo had i slowed down i would have been tossed into the wall.

*EDIT* Also when quoting me do please at least include the whole verbage instead of picking and choosing what to shoot at.............because you left this out before the beginning of what you quoted
"The car might handle twisties pretty good right now because you dont know what it can do with a quality suspension on there" in reference to the original poster saying his car handles really well, completely stock.

read what he said first, follow the whole story line before you post and pick up the gun of flame................you obviously didnt follow the whole story........maybe you should become a news reporter since you conveniently leave shit out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds like an interesting trip, definitly not boring. Don't want to sound like I'm tryin to jump in the middle of yalls conversation but is an LX engine worth buildin? I mean I plan on puttin cold air intake and headers for pure driveability purposes, but would any more than that just be a waste? If so I could hunt down a VTEC put it on a stand and go through it and build a pretty nice machine or on the other hand what does it take to convert to a 6 cylinder? What kindve fuel econo does the 6 get?(I deliver pizzas so mpg is a premium) I'm defninitly wishin now that I had hunted down an EX instead of buyin my little LX but I didn't know at the time that their was that big of a differance. Or how hard is it to make a VTEC out of a LX\DX motor? All input appreciated.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top