Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup im new to this forum I drive a 2000 s2k that is currently headless. The head has been sent to PRO RWD driver Vinny Ten for porting and polishing. The car obviously will be turbo. Im hoping on making around 550 with the stock bottom on c16 fuel. but anyway wussup

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh boy hears the list, Ill post pics of the engine apart at around 1 when I go home for lunch,

Full-race manifold
Full-race DP
Full-Rac intercooler
BMPC Intercooler
GT3582R Turbo
BDL 72mm TB
BDL TB spacer with vacume ports
BDL Fuel Rail
BDL FPR
BDL Fuel Filter
Ferrea valve train 1m oversized all around
Hand ported and polished by Vinny ten
3mm Cometic HG
Tial44mm wg
Tail bov
1000CC injectors
AEM EMS W/o uego
3 inch downpipe back exhaust to hks can

Theres some lil things that I cant think of right now but the car should be a beast .

I got a bunch of factory things for sale too ECU,Fuel rail, Airpump

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I need an '02-'03 ECU... so yeah.

well it sounds like you'll have a damn good build goin... looking forward to seein it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clone said:
I need an '02-'03 ECU... so yeah.

well it sounds like you'll have a damn good build goin... looking forward to seein it.

I have a 2000 ecu dont know how much good it will do ya

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
absolutely none at all.

the '00-'01 ECUs have different fuel and ignition maps than the '02-'03 ECUs... the '02-'03s have a smoother power curve.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
who're you gonna get to do your tuning on the EMS?? the EMS isn't all it's cracked up to be, so if you're just picking what the magazines say is the shit, then think again and do some research.

also, I noticed you haven't said anything about the transmission or drivetrain yet... with that type of power goal (which personally, I dont think you'll make on a stock bottom end) you're gonna be breaking a LOT of stuff if you dont focus on anything else. The S2K's differential isn't exactly a model of durability... especially during hard racing (like drag) and with those power numbers. Owner poll on OEM differential failure (you'll have to replace the **** with S 2 K I)

and if you're doing drag racing, you're gonna have to budget for a hardtop. your times will no doubt suffer with the soft top/top down.

Something tells me you haven't really thought this one through yet. the S2K isn't a drag car... keep that in mind before you waste your money.

and where's the pics of the headless engine I asked for?? I wanna put that in the FAQ.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Clone said:
who're you gonna get to do your tuning on the EMS?? the EMS isn't all it's cracked up to be, so if you're just picking what the magazines say is the shit, then think again and do some research.

also, I noticed you haven't said anything about the transmission or drivetrain yet... with that type of power goal (which personally, I dont think you'll make on a stock bottom end) you're gonna be breaking a LOT of stuff if you dont focus on anything else. The S2K's differential isn't exactly a model of durability... especially during hard racing (like drag) and with those power numbers. Owner poll on OEM differential failure (you'll have to replace the **** with S 2 K I)

and if you're doing drag racing, you're gonna have to budget for a hardtop. your times will no doubt suffer with the soft top/top down.

Something tells me you haven't really thought this one through yet. the S2K isn't a drag car... keep that in mind before you waste your money.

and where's the pics of the headless engine I asked for?? I wanna put that in the FAQ.

Sorry you wanted engine specs of what i was doing . BTW Inline pro made 550 on a stock bottom when they ran there 10 sec pass and stock diff.

As for my car im planning on using the nissan Rear I used to work for drive shaft shop so frank is hooking me up with axles and driveshaft to work with the r200 rear end. John at inline is developing brackets to use in mounting the diff. The tranny I really cant talk about whats going to happen with it before we are done making our adapter plate.

As for hard top the seibon CF is on its way.

You say I havent thought this threw but to be honest this is a big project being backed by numerous companies in the industry. My engine advisor alone has made a name in this sport. My car will make the power I said on stock bottom with out a problem. Hopefully more I havent had a chance to post the pics becuase ive been working on the car. as soon as I get a chance I will post them

The tunner will either be George Iannou the former street glow driver or my old boss Craig Paisley

And did you really say the AEM EMS isnt all its cracked up to be? what would you use

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And clone I just saw your lil reply to me on another post.

#1 now that you know who vinny is you should relize hes one of the best in the industry and is my race team advisor
#2 Pics have just been posted
#3, IF it not a drag car why did inlinepro go 10,70 with stock bottom and stock rear end?
#4 maybe you should do some research on your own car before giving advice to others on it.............

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
personally, I wouldn't drive an S2000 with that much power. A local shop here in Atlanta where I have mine dynoed... they had a 690hp S2K, turboed and all... either way, after talking to the owner and taking a ride, I can honestly tell you that putting all that power to the ground is a virtual impossibility... the car just doesn't weight enough to keep the tires in good traction when you're getting on it.

I'm not saying you can't make that power, I'm just saying that's pretty hard to do on a stock bottom end.

and the EMS has a lot of problems... it has it's quirks... and it's definitely not easy to tune. A lot of EMS users have complained about poor/long starting or sometimes no starting at all, some have said things about the EMS losing power in mid-driving. The EMS eliminates the DLC in every car, so your OBD2 system will not work. This means any problems that could arise aren't as easily diagnosed... plus you'll never pass an emissions test and will never be street legal in a state that has them. S2K specific, the stock temperature gauge doesn't work with the EMS... I know it's not a big deal, but it's the principle of the thing. There's a bunch of other stuff, but I'm still trying to find that thread about it. I'll get back to you when I find it.

Either way, unless you personally have a lot of experience tuning with the EMS, then I wouldn't suggest it. A common thing about engines is that their operating parameters never stay exactly the same. Due to mechanical wear, temperature, elevation, use, load, blah blah blah... an engine needs to retune to work efficiently. This is the reason for OBD2 systems, the ability to re-tune themselves during driving. Yeah, it's bad for performance. But with an EMS, which doesn't retune itself, due to those same reasons, you're basically gonna have to make minor changes to the maps every so often as things wear. Getting it re-tuned all the time for maximum performance is just a huge pain in the ass, in my opinion. Not something you're gonna want to do for a street car.

Even still, for the $2000+ you're gonna throw down on the EMS (after you get the options and shit, which you will need), you could get a just as efficient tuning system, that's easier to use a does everything the EMS could do without losing all of the pre-programmed things the stock ECU does for you... all for a thousand dollars less. With the standalone... it's not just a tuning tool... it's re-writing the whole goddamn computer. I'm sure you know that... but do you know just how much that actually entails?? I mean, there's a lot of things in that ECU, and to me, it just doesn't make sense to go to all that trouble and expense for something you could do easier and cheaper... when all you're doing is building a street car.

Personally, I'd go e-Manage Ultimate or wait for Hondata/Crome to come out with S2K tuning stuff. The EMS just doesn't justify the expense or the work for the gains you'll receive.

and by the way... anyone who knows anything about cars knows for a fact that this car was not designed or built for drag racing. there has been thousands upon thousands of discussions on numerous forums all across the internet that drag racing is not where the S2K is at home. it is designed for road courses... twists and turns are the highlights... not fast in a straight line. Maybe YOU should do some research on your own car instead of letting others do your shit for you. Shit... go drive your car and you'll figure that out for yourself.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Clone said:
personally, I wouldn't drive an S2000 with that much power. A local shop here in Atlanta where I have mine dynoed... they had a 690hp S2K, turboed and all... either way, after talking to the owner and taking a ride, I can honestly tell you that putting all that power to the ground is a virtual impossibility... the car just doesn't weight enough to keep the tires in good traction when you're getting on it.

I'm not saying you can't make that power, I'm just saying that's pretty hard to do on a stock bottom end.

and the EMS has a lot of problems... it has it's quirks... and it's definitely not easy to tune. A lot of EMS users have complained about poor/long starting or sometimes no starting at all, some have said things about the EMS losing power in mid-driving. The EMS eliminates the DLC in every car, so your OBD2 system will not work. This means any problems that could arise aren't as easily diagnosed... plus you'll never pass an emissions test and will never be street legal in a state that has them. S2K specific, the stock temperature gauge doesn't work with the EMS... I know it's not a big deal, but it's the principle of the thing. There's a bunch of other stuff, but I'm still trying to find that thread about it. I'll get back to you when I find it.

Either way, unless you personally have a lot of experience tuning with the EMS, then I wouldn't suggest it. A common thing about engines is that their operating parameters never stay exactly the same. Due to mechanical wear, temperature, elevation, use, load, blah blah blah... an engine needs to retune to work efficiently. This is the reason for OBD2 systems, the ability to re-tune themselves during driving. Yeah, it's bad for performance. But with an EMS, which doesn't retune itself, due to those same reasons, you're basically gonna have to make minor changes to the maps every so often as things wear. Getting it re-tuned all the time for maximum performance is just a huge pain in the ass, in my opinion. Not something you're gonna want to do for a street car.

Even still, for the $2000+ you're gonna throw down on the EMS (after you get the options and shit, which you will need), you could get a just as efficient tuning system, that's easier to use a does everything the EMS could do without losing all of the pre-programmed things the stock ECU does for you... all for a thousand dollars less. With the standalone... it's not just a tuning tool... it's re-writing the whole goddamn computer. I'm sure you know that... but do you know just how much that actually entails?? I mean, there's a lot of things in that ECU, and to me, it just doesn't make sense to go to all that trouble and expense for something you could do easier and cheaper... when all you're doing is building a street car.

Personally, I'd go e-Manage Ultimate or wait for Hondata/Crome to come out with S2K tuning stuff. The EMS just doesn't justify the expense or the work for the gains you'll receive.

and by the way... anyone who knows anything about cars knows for a fact that this car was not designed or built for drag racing. there has been thousands upon thousands of discussions on numerous forums all across the internet that drag racing is not where the S2K is at home. it is designed for road courses... twists and turns are the highlights... not fast in a straight line. Maybe YOU should do some research on your own car instead of letting others do your shit for you. Shit... go drive your car and you'll figure that out for yourself.

Oh boy where to start

personally, I wouldn't drive an S2000 with that much power. A local shop here in Atlanta where I have mine dynoed... they had a 690hp S2K, turboed and all... either way, after talking to the owner and taking a ride, I can honestly tell you that putting all that power to the ground is a virtual impossibility... the car just doesn't weight enough to keep the tires in good traction when you're getting on it

Impossible for someone who doesnt know how to drive. I guess inline runmning a 225 drag radial couldnt get the power to the ground either....

LOL please give me some of what your smoking. Why would you use a obd scanner on a car with a stand alone? if your running that caliber of EMS you should know about the car and system to diagnose . Emissions you say ive seen dozens of cars pass in NY. But in florida we dont have any so no need for them..But hey I guess steph papadakis is a fool for running it in his drift s2k and his drag car

Even still, for the $2000+ you're gonna throw down on the EMS (after you get the options and shit, which you will need), you could get a just as efficient tuning system, that's easier to use a does everything the EMS could do without losing all of the pre-programmed things the stock ECU does for you... all for a thousand dollars less. With the standalone... it's not just a tuning tool... it's re-writing the whole goddamn computer. I'm sure you know that... but do you know just how much that actually entails?? I mean, there's a lot of things in that ECU, and to me, it just doesn't make sense to go to all that trouble and expense for something you could do easier and cheaper... when all you're doing is building a street car

Dam I picked mine up for 1100 brand new. for 2 grand ide buy a motec lol. Of course you lose everything that came with the car its a STAND ALONE a blank canvas for tunning . Wow your dumb.

Personally, I'd go e-Manage Ultimate or wait for Hondata/Crome to come out with S2K tuning stuff. The EMS just doesn't justify the expense or the work for the gains you'll receive

So you would use a computer with less feature than a stand alone huh. You would do the ol hack because its easy lol have fun making power with an Emang. Hondata or chrome are lower end priducts than AEM keep trying lil guy

and by the way... anyone who knows anything about cars knows for a fact that this car was not designed or built for drag racing. there has been thousands upon thousands of discussions on numerous forums all across the internet that drag racing is not where the S2K is at home. it is designed for road courses... twists and turns are the highlights... not fast in a straight line. Maybe YOU should do some research on your own car instead of letting others do your shit for you. Shit... go drive your car and you'll figure that out

Yup and the honda civic was desighned for a drag car too or maybe the racing solaras out there. Guess your as stupid as most of the ricers you make fun of. again LEARN SOMETHING ABOUT THE CAR BEFORE SPEAKING

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
i'm opening this back up.

clone, he's making good points in his argument and i agree w/ a lot of what he's saying. the problems you mentioned w/ the ems can be cured by having a good tuner. ofcourse if you have a shit tune you'll have problems. i don't see how you can tell him not to tune w/ the aem. it's one of the only fuel management units that can actually tune this car if it's making a lot of power and is setup much different than stock. programs like hondata, crome, uberdata, etc will not work so your only other options are the aem and emanage... and emanage just won't cut it when dealing with this guys setup. he'd be stupid to try anything else.

as for the s2000 not being a drag car.. what other honda is better suited? the s2000 is lightweight and rwd. tell me what is bad about drag racing it? seriously. it's much better than a damn fwd civic.

i don't see what's wrong w/ this conversation. just keep the flaming out (this means you GDM S2K) and it will all be fine. discuss...

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
well... at the time he never mentioned that the car was being built specifically for drag racing, and not for street use. It wasn't until a later post that he mentioned this.

I also never said the EMS was a bad tuning system, and never actually recommended that he use something else. I just told him my opinion on it and what I would do when building such a car for the street. My personal opinion is that the EMS is too in-depth for a street car, no matter what the mods are. Since he never mentioned the fact that it was being built specifically for drag, then I naturally assumed he was just gonna be streeting it.

And the S2K isn't a drag car. the performance of the car shines on a road track, not a drag strip. From the factory, a weak differential and the convertible top beg to NOT be drag raced... That's not to say you can't do it... and that's not to say it's not a good platform for drag racing either... you're right, it's lightweight, it's RWD... but fact of the matter is the car is at it's best performance on a road track, where it can attack curves. Maybe that's my opinion... but I think it's probably what the Honda engineers had in mind too.

But yeah, if we can have a civil conversation about these things, then I'm all for it... keep the topic open.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
i see. i wasn't up to date on who was posting what and when.

i know a few people who use the aem for a daily driver. if you've got a good tune you shouldn't have any problems. a friend of mine ordered one last week and should be getting it in early next week. he's got a basically stock s2000 and is going to be experimenting with it. considering he's stock it should be a good platform to start on. we'll see how that goes. if we can get his car running good and performing well i'll buy one for myself.

i won't argue that the s2000 is better suited for a road course or an autocross course, but.. that'd be like saying a civic is better suited for a grocery getter and shouldn't be modded. from the hondas that i can think of the s2000 is the best suited for drag racing if that's what you choose to do. i personally like a car that's good at both. build the s2000 for power and turning, take it to a roadcourse and kick some ass there, then turn right around and run 10's on a drag strip.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good luck with the build GDM S2K. Don't listen to the naysayers, anything can be a drag car. I work on the NHRA national record holding Volkswagen dragster, many would say it isn't a drag car but we have a few time slips in the 8's that say otherwise. It is an old beetle flat four, not a new inline four, the old one is much harder to tune. We don't use a turbo or nitrous, NA all the way. When do you plan on running in New Jersey? I thought I saw something about Atco or E-town. I'd love to see it run.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wills2k106 said:
Good luck with the build GDM S2K. Don't listen to the naysayers, anything can be a drag car. I work on the NHRA national record holding Volkswagen dragster, many would say it isn't a drag car but we have a few time slips in the 8's that say otherwise. It is an old beetle flat four, not a new inline four, the old one is much harder to tune. We don't use a turbo or nitrous, NA all the way. When do you plan on running in New Jersey? I thought I saw something about Atco or E-town. I'd love to see it run.

Well if I can complete the car by april first my buddy is going to trailor it back after the NHRA event down hear. Ill be the only honda in a nissan pit area lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.