Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a question about block guards. i've seen a few articles on turbo charging and have seen block guards welded in. now do you have to weld it in or can you just let it sit in there?

i am starting to build a b18a1 for turbo and making it a daily driver not looking for alot of boost but i want to do it right the first time so i don't have to go back in and replace stuff later. any help would be great thanks

·
Registered
326 Posts
well

ive been considering gettin one for me aswell i have a gsr turbo and as far as i kno they have to be "pressed" in the block, but i never heard of them being welded

·
Registered
624 Posts
Blockguards can be welded in place or just dropped in. Welding is not required but recommended by many. I've heard of block guards sinking into deeper which to me is inevitable. Keep in mind that where the BG is positioned at is the hottest area of the engine....... just short of what temps are being inside the combustion chamber. Temperature changes will occur which causes materials to expand/contract. Most BG are made of aluminum which is really soft and causes it to sink in between the walls during temperature changes.

Another thing to consider is that, the contacts made on the walls can cause hot spots which can be detrimental to the life of your cylinder walls.

The bottom line, if you want to "really" do it right, get it sleeved.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts