Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the deal...

This turbo sat for about a year and a half while the kid built the car (pay check to pay check). When started there is oil blowing through the exhaust, into the cold air side of the turbo and in the intercooler. The car wasnt driven this way etc, the problem was caught as it happened. The question I want to get answered is what would cause a brand new turbo to blow its wad like that if it was the turbo? I would imagine a seal but I do not know the inside of a turbo that well. It may not be the turbo, But to blow about a quart of oil through on just cranks and a 20 second start up I would think it was.... Any thoughts?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh no this is the real deal, a garret t3/t4 brand new from a good dealer. The only problem with the dealer is that the turbo is out of warr. as it has been sitting for so long. Im wondering if there is a seal inside that could have dried out and gone bad? I mean to get that much oil through the exhaust and the turbo it would have to come from the oil line to the turbo and be a turbo issue correct? If this is the case, wouldnt a simple rebuild to replace the seal be the fix?
Thanks for any info

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had a similiar problem...
Tons of oil out the exhaust and lots of smoke from the PCV valve...
turns out it was that every piston's top ring lands had been broken, causing oil to leak past the rings and get into the combustion chambers...
I would bet the motor is messed up and not the turbo if it's brand new...
P.S. I don't think a seal would have dried out...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
thats weird that it was a brand new turbo and it did that.sounds like the seals or even the bearings are blown. Check and see if there is any shaft play.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mberndt said:
I had a similiar problem...
Tons of oil out the exhaust and lots of smoke from the PCV valve...
turns out it was that every piston's top ring lands had been broken, causing oil to leak past the rings and get into the combustion chambers...
I would bet the motor is messed up and not the turbo if it's brand new...
P.S. I don't think a seal would have dried out...
Was the engine that this happened in brand new and just started up? The kid put the thing together him self, hes a smart kid, but coulda done something wrong. If thats the case, a tear down and rehoneing of the block would be in order right along with a new set of rings?

Thanks for your responses

·
Registered
163 Posts
Dose3782 said:
Was the engine that this happened in brand new and just started up? The kid put the thing together him self, hes a smart kid, but coulda done something wrong. If thats the case, a tear down and rehoneing of the block would be in order right along with a new set of rings?

Thanks for your responses
No, my engine was used as NA for a long time (~5 years) then I turbo'ed it...
It was fine the first month or so, but after that it was burning oil like crazy...
I checked everything twice, and I still could not find the problem, I even replaced head gasket just to find out that it still burned oil ($100 and 2 weeks later :mad )
I did have oil in the intercooler and charge pipes...
I thought it was/couldn't find out for the life of me what it was...
Every mechanic I talked to said it was my rings or more commonly the valve seals... Well, my valve seals and my rings were fine, it was the piston ring lands to my dismay (had to rip entire motor apart)
I thought it was
-oil feed line
-oil drain line
-tuning
-piston rings
Update with anymore info you might have about it...

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
was the turbo primed before starting the engine? this might not be the cause of this turbo going bad but you never know.
before putting the turbo on the car its a good idea to pour some oil in where the oil feed line goes in. also after everything is on the car and ready to go you should take off the fuse for the fuel pump and crank the engine for 10-15sec about 3 times. that way the turbo will have fresh oil upon start up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.