Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently, my friend lowered his car to a perfect drop height. By it's looks the car looks great! But the drop wasn't done by coil-overs or lowering springs, or cutting the springs. As a matter of fact, he kept his stock springs. It was done via flame torch. The stock springs were heated, to where the car weight slowly decompressed the springs giving the car a new lowered look. I know this is bad for the suspension but what exactly is happening to the springs? Cryogen, you're expertise would be greatly appreciated or anyone else who did or know anyone that did this. Thanx.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
you are basically fux0ring the springs beyond belief and stressing them far more than they are made for, and since you are heat tempering them the spring rates of them are very unpredictable and i wouldnt be surprised if the springs cracked in half during a large jolt to them such as a pothole....BAD IDEA (worse than cutting)

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
actually your heating the steel which brings it to a temp that is called recrystallization. This is when you have many grain boundaries and many crystalls. the crystalls and grain boundaries when heated crystalize to bigger grains and fewer grain boundaries occur in the steel making it weaker. pretty much your springs are cold worked, shot peened for strength and now your removing what cold work has done to the springs making it more ductile and less strong.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Not to mention the fact that if your friend did this with the springs still installed on his car, he was very lucky he didn't blow himself up...shock absorbers are pressurized gas and oil...they aren't meant to be heated, and if he had a torch under there, they were getting heated. Heck, he might have messed up the seals on his shocks while he screwed up his springs.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Bampf said:
Not to mention the fact that if your friend did this with the springs still installed on his car, he was very lucky he didn't blow himself up...shock absorbers are pressurized gas and oil...they aren't meant to be heated, and if he had a torch under there, they were getting heated. Heck, he might have messed up the seals on his shocks while he screwed up his springs.
If this were to happen...SAD! Just go out and buy some cheap springs...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Yea i agree, this is the worst way to lower your car. Do yourself and your car a big favor and get lowering springs instead. You will love it, and your car will too.

hehe Good luck out there :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I would just go and buy some nice spings and that way you will have the peace of mind in knowing that you did it the right way.

out~

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
is car will sag to hell over time:)

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Starchild said:
Yea i agree, this is the worst way to lower your car. Do yourself and your car a big favor and get lowering springs instead. You will love it, and your car will too.

hehe Good luck out there :)
The worst is removing the springs totally on a strut suspended car....ive seen it done. Some people just dont get it.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
PseudoRealityX said:

The worst is removing the springs totally on a strut suspended car....ive seen it done. Some people just dont get it.
damn....talk about ricers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts