Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aight first i'd jus like ta say sup?
Ok I jus bought a 93' del-Sol S. The first thing I wanna do is swap out the engine for a B16a DOHC VTEC. Now first off what kinda work am I lookin at cuz the current engine in there isnt a VTEC its the SOHC. And second where are some good places to find a B16a?
My other ques. for now is about the ECU where or how can you get it reprogrammed or rechipped or whatever? And Ive heard you can get it programmed to typeR specs? What does this do exactly?
Thanx for the help in advance most of my other questions bout building up the engine Ive researched on my own and found the answers.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Souljedi9 said:
Aight first i'd jus like ta say sup?
Ok I jus bought a 93' del-Sol S. The first thing I wanna do is swap out the engine for a B16a DOHC VTEC. Now first off what kinda work am I lookin at cuz the current engine in there isnt a VTEC its the SOHC. And second where are some good places to find a B16a?
My other ques. for now is about the ECU where or how can you get it reprogrammed or rechipped or whatever? And Ive heard you can get it programmed to typeR specs? What does this do exactly?
Thanx for the help in advance most of my other questions bout building up the engine Ive researched on my own and found the answers.
first of all, welcome, I like your name :) Second, the b16 swap is very straightforward provided that you get the 2nd generation sir 2. You will need the motor, engine harness, and del sol vtec shift linkage. other than that, all you will need are the b series mounts which should be included with the motor.

About the ECU, it;s really a pain to chip your ecu, you're better off getting a full aftermarket ecu such as spoon, mugen, or more readily available would be a hondata.

cheers

jon

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that was really freakin informative. Thanx :D
Only ques now is how can I tell the engine is from an SiR II.

Thanx it took me alil while to create a name!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Souljedi9 said:
Wow, that was really freakin informative. Thanx :D
Only ques now is how can I tell the engine is from an SiR II.

Thanx it took me alil while to create a name!
you can tell an engine is an sir2 if it has a hydraulic transmission, not cable. Also, the intake manifold on the sir1 says PGM-FI, whereas the sir2 doesn't say anything.

cheers

jon

·
Registered
354 Posts
chipping an ecu is not that much of a pain. if there is someone local that can do it for you, than thats the best thing to do. if not, then look online for anyone selling a USDM P30, from a 94-95 del sol vtec.

as for the engines...the SIR-II b16's, or B16a3 from the 94-95 sol vtec. u need the mounts from one of those two motors, or any from a 94+ integra. and like stated by WAY2Jedi...you must have the del sol VTEC shift linkage. dont try it any other way.

you wont need to worry about any wiring, if you have your ecu chipped. your car is already pre-wired for vtec, except for the knock sensor. and if you have an ECU chipped(pref. a P28) then you can disable it in the ecu so u wont have a CEL.

·
Registered
232 Posts
sucezlui said:
chipping an ecu is not that much of a pain. if there is someone local that can do it for you, than thats the best thing to do. if not, then look online for anyone selling a USDM P30, from a 94-95 del sol vtec.

as for the engines...the SIR-II b16's, or B16a3 from the 94-95 sol vtec. u need the mounts from one of those two motors, or any from a 94+ integra. and like stated by WAY2Jedi...you must have the del sol VTEC shift linkage. dont try it any other way.

you wont need to worry about any wiring, if you have your ecu chipped. your car is already pre-wired for vtec, except for the knock sensor. and if you have an ECU chipped(pref. a P28) then you can disable it in the ecu so u wont have a CEL.
well, it's not a pain in that it's not hard to do, but what I mean is that it's a pain to deal with cel's, and you don't get that much out of a chipped one

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
i had the same swap take car that the engine comes with mount on it and go with an after market ecu P30 is gr8 " that's what i had"
but the wirring its a sohc u'll b leacking alot of wires on that mine what a dohc so i had two pb's the vtec knock valve and the presure sensor it'll b was easy.

·
Registered
232 Posts
sucezlui said:
you dont get that much what out of a chipped ecu?
nope....not while you still have your map sensors and o2 sensors workin' overtime ;)

·
Registered
354 Posts
mahmoud said:
i had the same swap take car that the engine comes with mount on it and go with an after market ecu P30 is gr8 " that's what i had"
but the wirring its a sohc u'll b leacking alot of wires on that mine what a dohc so i had two pb's the vtec knock valve and the presure sensor it'll b was easy.
wow, your english is rough...

but the only wire you need to run is the knock sensor. the other wires are already there. and you really dont need the knock sensor wire. you will have a cel if you use the p30 ecu, or you can chip that ecu or the p28 to disable the knock sensor, and not have a cel..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I'm prolly gonna try to get my hand on a B16a3 out of a 94-95 del-Sol. So when I get the engine and hydrolic tranny, I also need the engine mounts. Will the VTEC shift linkage come w/ the motor also? And I looked at the hondata s200. Is that a good choice? I'll prolly swap the engine and put in the new ecu at once to save some wiring hassle. And the s200 is good I think because I can upgrade it later to handle a turbo. Yes I plan on going turbo. Im going to put together a custom kit and than get it professinally tuned once its all done. And im building the car in preperation for a turbo from the start. Once the engine is in the next projedt will be forgin the internals, than redoing the ignition, than the fuel, and so on. And of coasre the interior, exterior and suspension will be an ongoing project.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Souljedi9 said:
Ok I'm prolly gonna try to get my hand on a B16a3 out of a 94-95 del-Sol. So when I get the engine and hydrolic tranny, I also need the engine mounts. Will the VTEC shift linkage come w/ the motor also? And I looked at the hondata s200. Is that a good choice? I'll prolly swap the engine and put in the new ecu at once to save some wiring hassle. And the s200 is good I think because I can upgrade it later to handle a turbo. Yes I plan on going turbo. Im going to put together a custom kit and than get it professinally tuned once its all done. And im building the car in preperation for a turbo from the start. Once the engine is in the next projedt will be forgin the internals, than redoing the ignition, than the fuel, and so on. And of coasre the interior, exterior and suspension will be an ongoing project.
excellent choices; and yes, if the motor is coming out of a del sol, then chances are it will include the linkage you need. good luck!

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
way2jedi4u said:
excellent choices; and yes, if the motor is coming out of a del sol, then chances are it will include the linkage you need. good luck!
if yuo are having the motor pulled then just specify that you need the linkage too.......otherwise you probably wont get it

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Souljedi9 said:

i really hope you realize what you are about to start..........it is going to be a long process, and a lot, a lot , a lot of money........i hope you ahve considered that already

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, Ive already spent alot of time researching and deciding what parts and products I will use for the kit and whatever else. I used to own a 96' dodge avenger and that was on its way to being turboed but unfortunitly the car did last that long. The engine died of old age before I hadda chance to really get working on it. And for the price of replacing the engine I realized I could jus buy my friends Del-sol. So here I am. Plus I made almost double my money back by reselling what parts I had for the venge online.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
sucezlui said:
wow, your english is rough...

but the only wire you need to run is the knock sensor. the other wires are already there. and you really dont need the knock sensor wire. you will have a cel if you use the p30 ecu, or you can chip that ecu or the p28 to disable the knock sensor, and not have a cel..
He needs the VTEC solneoid, and pressure sensor, they are not on the SOHC non vtec wiring harness.

·
Registered
354 Posts
infinatenexus said:
He needs the VTEC solneoid, and pressure sensor, they are not on the SOHC non vtec wiring harness.
wrong, all del sol's regardless of model and year have those wires. as well as all 92 civics. i myself had a 95 del Sol S with the d15 non vtec, and i've worked on many others....

they only lack the knock sensor wire

1 - 20 of 28 Posts