Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I just bought a 2003 Accord Coupe, with the 2.4L engine and automatic trans., it has 36,500 miles on the odo.
Looking for recommendations on what I can do to increase the power a bit. Not real familiar with aftermarket manufacturs/parts for this car. Thinking maybe headers/cat-back exhaust, cold air intake would help.
Let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
If its a family car, rethink why ur modding ur car

But, if its not start researching some parts: like the basic (intake/headers/exhaust)
Use the search tool, to research in and around the forum
Make sure u check out the part review, useful stuff

Not a big fan of the auto trany, never had one so Im kinda uncertain of what to tell u

Good luck man! :byye

·
Registered
259 Posts
All if u wanna get technical all the intakes work the same in their respective catagory (ie - all cold air intakes work the same, and all short rams do to) unless u wanna go extreme with the dry ice cold air intake, but that could get costly, the intake isnt a problem, the exhaust is really by how u like it to sound, but Greddy, and Apexi, are good, HKS and the higher end exhaust, (IMO!!) are overkil, but very lovely, the headers are usually DC Sports if u ask people here. Most people like 4-2-1 but mine is 4-1 so it doesnt matter to me lol, just my .02

My Set Up (on the del sol)
AEM Short Ram Intake
DC Sports 4-1 Headers
WILL BE: Greddy EVO 2 Cat Back

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
Jree$e said:
....save your money man. Intake/header/exhaust, isn't going to get you much but a louder car.
:clap

it's an econo car.....not much you can do w/ it for any real decent gains. save the $1500 from the i/h/e and put it towards a fast car. cuz in the end, it's just going be just an accord...wait wait....an AUTOMATIC accord.

·
Registered
29 Posts
try looking into getting some parts to tighten up your accords handling. (eibach coilovers/suspension techniques sway bars/strut bars) lowering the center of gravity and tightening up the car might make it more fun to drive as a "daily driver". spending $1500 on an i/h/e setup isnt going to give you much hp. :noo

but if you're like me (absolutely and retardedly in love with my stupid car :bh ) youre gonna spend the money on i/h/e eventaully anyway cause every little bit of hp is nice.

and dont forget to check out the sticky at the top of the accord page for links to all the companies who make aftermarket parts for the accord. i find it super-helpful! :byye

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
moding ur new coupe wont void the warrenty? if not then i would just spend the cash on the suspension and not worry about anything else b/c those accords are really heavy and not that easy to make a fast car. just save for the 2 door sports car! a.k.a the poor mans boxster is a toyota MR2

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Gosei_Passion said:
suspenion mods
now that I look back i wish I had started entirely on building up a machine that can handle any road i threw at it haha
suspension is where it all is imo

i agree, but as stated above, i wouldnt put the money into this car. any money. i would save it for a better car and then keep the accord as a winter car...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Welcome to the K24 Accord family. It's a great engine and car to have. As you can tell, the opinions here of our cars are not that high. To be honest, what you can do is limited only by your budget. I/H/E is a good start, but where do you want to end up? Also check out

http://www.k-series.com/forum/

http://board.***********.com/index.php

They have tons of info there on the K series engines and the 7th gen Accords, and what the performance potential REALLY is. Do your research, and don't get spoon-fed info, because it's easy to get led down the wrong path when tuning your car. Lot's of opinions, and not a lot of data to back up their BS. Think for yourself, and be your own researcher. You will save yourself a lot of dissapointment that way.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
there is little performance potential from the k24 found in the accord/element. it's a similar motor to the base rsx, only 2.4L. yeah, it's i-vtec, but it's a fuel efficient type i-vtec....not a performance oriented kind.

·
Registered
682 Posts
i have a 5spd 4th gen. and i love it, whoever says that accords are slow are lying, i beat eclipse GS`s all the time and i have no problem spankin SOHC civics and all i have is CAI/EX header (4-2-1 style)/TSUDO 2 1/2 inch N1 style CAT-BACK/GUTTED TRUNK/REMOVED power STEERING BELT AND PUMP... then soon to have a stage 1 clutch and ultra light flywheel.... i think it is quick...

·
Registered
72 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
there is little performance potential from the k24 found in the accord/element. it's a similar motor to the base rsx, only 2.4L. yeah, it's i-vtec, but it's a fuel efficient type i-vtec....not a performance oriented kind.
My case and point. :noo This forum is useless in it's assistance with the 7th gen Accords, especially if it's an I4. You "Mods" can believe what you want, and say what you want, and have your followers believe you. I suppose all the tuners in Honda Tuning and Sport Compact Car speaking of the performace potential of the K24 engine series as a whole are wrong. So is my local tuner, he's wrong too I bet.

Yes, it's difficult. Yes, it's a very base engine to start with. But to say it's not worth doing at all. That's just rediculous. Why don't you give the guys at HyTech Exhaust a call (949-581-2181) and tell them that all of the R&D they are doing on the motor is worthless.

Parts are starting to come to the market for the K24 engine, and are being designed with forced induction in mind. Pistons, cams, valves, valve springs, and the like that are designed to withstand boost are coming out or are already out with a supercharger in mind.

That said, Jackson Racing, per their own e-mail to me, is currently developing the TSX supercharger, and will quickly follow with the Accord supercharger.

It's definately a long and complicated tune, but the fact that it's "uncool" or "impossible" by your standars just fuels my fire. So in short, thanks Ultra, for your inspiring words.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
it's still an i4 accord though.

do the same shit to a performance k-series motor, and it will be A) cheaper B) faster C) lighter D) more reliable E) most likely not in an accord

also....the person who first posted has an automatic...once you start making over a certain torque number you will see mad slippage on the tc.

you can make it quick...sure....but just remember, it's still just an accord.

edit: oh and just a reminder for all the ricers.....power isn't everything.

editx2: oh and a 2.4L i4 is going to be a biatch to rotate at super fast speeds. so go ahead and boost it, and let's see what happens when you get those heavy slugs that are connected to long rods spinning beyond their tolerences....think bad rod stroke ratio.

·
Registered
72 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
you can make it quick...sure....but just remember, it's still just an accord.
Then why are you investing all of this time as the Accord Moderator? Yeah, I know you used to have one, and a quick one at that. Move on if you dislike the car so much. Go be mod on the RX8 forums or the MR2 forums. Invest your time in something that you care about. Just because it's "just an accord" doesn't mean you can squash someones plans.

P.S. How does 275 HP sound? Because that's what Hasport got out of a K24 with K20 cylinder head....

Quoting Sport Compact Car...."This K24 plucked from a CR-V gets a new wind, thanks to a K20A2 cylinder head. Naturally aspirated, it made 185 hp at the wheels. Hasport's blown version has made 275 hp at the wheels."

Here's the article.... http://sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0406scc_hybrid/

Oh yeah...And the engine doesn't fly apart because you use stronger internal parts.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.