Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just picked up this 1996 Accord and was curious what kind of mods you would do first.

It has 170k on the clock but has had the timing belt replaced and oil changed regulary. I got a smoking deal on it and already have a set of 17 inch gun metal rims ready to go on it.

This weekend the chrome trim comes off, and the whole car will see the claybar and three stages of wax.

This car is going to be for my wife who is a big car fan so it does not have to be the fastest thing around, but I am keeping my eye out for someone who could swap an H22 in there with an auto as we will be shortly having a baby and the car needs to be as easy as possible to drive.

Anything inparticular I need to watch out for on this car or check for in the process of cleaning it?

If this was your car and it's bone stock what would you do?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
968 Posts
definitely you are stoarting off right by changing the rims and taking off that chrome shit. But if you find an auto i would jump on it if i were you. They are rare. But to start off you can get an intake cause it will swap over with the swap. Also you might want to get an exhaust. These are a couple of things to start you guys off. Also you might want to just do the suspension before hand so that is out of the way.

·
Registered
349 Posts
MKlein3004 said:
definitely you are stoarting off right by changing the rims and taking off that chrome shit. But if you find an auto i would jump on it if i were you. They are rare. But to start off you can get an intake cause it will swap over with the swap. Also you might want to get an exhaust. These are a couple of things to start you guys off. Also you might want to just do the suspension before hand so that is out of the way.

bling bling

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
if it was up to me.. i would just make the car look better and keep it in good running condition... like you said

1. that chrome needs to go
2. those rims gotta go
3. add your 17" rims
4. lower it just a little 1" (eibach pro)
5. clear corners?

just that will make your car look so much better than the pix you have right now.

·
Registered
365 Posts
alright, here's what i would do... paint it with some craaaazy decals rigt, like with a flamingo on the side... then i would put on the stock rims and take off the hubcaps so you can do that shit Glen Burnie™ style. Ok, i'd get a badd ass body kit and drop it 4 inches with some stage 2 hydraulics. Then get some green underglo and take out the back seats. Make it thump too... lol

Seriously tho... the first thing i would do is... yea kill the rims and that chrome stuff. then i would go get yourself an exhaust system, cat-back system so you can still do the swap with out wasting your money. I would get a cold-air intake from AEM and put the battery in the trunk. umm... drop it and get a body kit on it. Personally i like the Big Mouth body kits, but you should check out extremedimensions.com they have the best kits for accords. Keep it real, and don't mess up guy.

Peace

·
Registered
682 Posts
i like sleepers.... (stock suspension with stiffer struts and all motor stuf, and weight reduction).... but for u ill make an acception, get it dropped 2 inches with some skunk2 lowering springs (124bucks brand new) a set of KYB 8-way adjustable struts (8 different twists of the knob to make stiffer or softer)... then just get a CAI/Exhaust/pullies/Header/and maybe a CAT and u could have a driver friendly street car... that thing could take stock 5 speed LS`s for sure..... mine can and its only got intake....

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
foozbal said:
alright, here's what i would do... paint it with some craaaazy decals rigt, like with a flamingo on the side... then i would put on the stock rims and take off the hubcaps so you can do that shit Glen Burnie™ style. Ok, i'd get a badd ass body kit and drop it 4 inches with some stage 2 hydraulics. Then get some green underglo and take out the back seats. Make it thump too... lol

Seriously tho... the first thing i would do is... yea kill the rims and that chrome stuff. then i would go get yourself an exhaust system, cat-back system so you can still do the swap with out wasting your money. I would get a cold-air intake from AEM and put the battery in the trunk. umm... drop it and get a body kit on it. Personally i like the Big Mouth body kits, but you should check out extremedimensions.com they have the best kits for accords. Keep it real, and don't mess up guy.

Peace

umm dude seriously like no one likes big ugly body kits. plus he said he wanted something for his wife to drive .....thats easy to drive. with the car lowered and with an added body kit/lip his wife will have to be super careful with her driving/ drivways/speed bumps/ to not rip off the lip/body kit. if it were me i would just fix up the stock engine w/ basic bolt ons and ignition, do a good cooling system upgrade,suspension upgrade, and upgrade the breaks. thats about all i would do. i wouldnt do to much other wise. well kill the rims and crome crap on it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:lol2 WOW....this is great info guys and I appreciate all that you have said.

I am no new stranger to imports or cars as I have been into customizing since I was 5 and my father had me out working on his Buick Hot Rod.

I am also part of a crew where we have two 10 sec all motor VW's, and actually one of them was in Sport Compact Car last month, and two months ago was in Euro Tuner :w00t so I appreciate all the help with the motor mods as well as I am a newbie to Hondas.

So does anyone have any pics of what the JDM headlights look like?

We saw a black Accord locally that had smoked headlights with corners that were dark around the edges as well, and had what looked to me like Jag X-type taillights installed. I thought that would look awesome with some smoked turn signals as well as I have always been a big fan of blacked out cars.

My wife is not like your normal woman as she is use to driving slammed cars with low profile tires and body kits which is so nice.

Any ideas on what exhaust you would go with?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh those headlights look sick, now would they work with a set of HID's as I have a spare set sitting around and want my wife to be able to see as well as possible especially with the car being lowered.

Where would I find those headlights and corners to buy?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
are you lowering the car and putting a baby seat in back? for some reason..i don't think the baby would appreciate that kind of ride...unless you have another car to cater him around in..

oh and are those 15's? and would you sell them...i might be interested depending on their dimensions =)

·
Registered
10 Posts
boostaholic said:
if it was up to me.. i would just make the car look better and keep it in good running condition... like you said

1. that chrome needs to go
2. those rims gotta go
3. add your 17" rims
4. lower it just a little 1" (eibach pro)
5. clear corners?

just that will make your car look so much better than the pix you have right now.

Agreed with him. Do it for the better!

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
when was the timing belt changed??? first off ...i would make sure EVERYTHING is working right...fix the mechanical stuff then do upgrades..If your thinking about the H22 auto..i see those on the net all the time for sale .There alot cheaper than the 5 speed, i seen one for 1700 shipped a few months back. PM me if you want some websites.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Johnnyson said:
Oh those headlights look sick, now would they work with a set of HID's as I have a spare set sitting around and want my wife to be able to see as well as possible especially with the car being lowered.

Where would I find those headlights and corners to buy?
If you just stick your HIDs in there, you will blind people and you won't see much on the road, you can retrofit the lights with HID projectors and stuff, lots of time and money but worth it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the good info, I was not sure if the HID's would throw light all over the road or if they would work.

I had HID's in a Jetta I use to own and took them out as it threw light everywhere but where I needed the light to go. I was getting brighted by everyone on the road so I took them out.

I have a set of projectors out of a 1998 BMW 5 series with HID's that I could use, does anyone have any pics of how they did their projectors that I could take a look at?

A set of smoked JDM headlights with projector HID's would be sick.

The timing belt was changed at 110k and for the most part the car is very solid. It does not leak a drop of oil, neither does it burn any. It get's smoking fuel econo and is the reason that I bought it as it would not require any work as far as I could tell.

Jreese I sent you an IM and would love the links you were talking about to the cars with auto H22's for sale as I would rather buy it already done then pay someone to do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
O.k this thing badly needs coilovers, can anyone recomend a brand they trust?

I am not talking about Ground Control with koni inserts, but a great coilover that has a good ride while tucking the tires.

·
Registered
365 Posts
eibach or neuspeed (friends rides are really smooth) -2"

if you want to drop it anymore than 2" you should get a camber kit, that'll really help tuck the wheels under, don't know any good brands tho, sry :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.