Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2001 V6 coupe and I am having trouble learning about wheels and susp. I want to shorten the gap from the tire to fender but do not want it slammed. I am thinking of Eibach prokit with KYB struts and shocks. I really want 18" wheels but have been hearing alot about rubbing. What should I do. Are 19's too big? 17's just look so small. I do not race, just stylin. I have worked hard to ge this car and want to do it right. I have no ground effects nor do I wan them. What is the correct tire size? If I get coil covers do I need to buy struts and shocks? By buddy has coil covers with front and rear sway bar and he says it is a sweet ride. Please help me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Check out my suspension FAQ, first of all, to get yourself straight on the basics.

As far as wheels, if you only lower it Eibach Pro-Kit height or so, you shouldn't really have any problems with 18s as long as you maintain the right diameter. I believe places like www.tirerack.com have calculators so you can see which tire size will be right if you go to an 18" rim.

The main thing you want to be careful of when plus sizing is your offset. i don't know about 6g V6s, but someone probably does.... getting the proper offset and the proper tire size should help give you confidence that you aren't going to have much of an issue with rubbing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. Will the H&R level the car or will I have to get different heights? If I go with coilcovers will I still need struts and shcoks. What will sway bar(s) do for me? Are 19" wheels out of the question becasue I have been saving for awhile and this 3300.00 is burning a hole in my pocket. I am doing the interior next fall and want the exterior done by late April or so.

·
Registered
64 Posts
LordAccord said:
Check out my suspension FAQ, first of all, to get yourself straight on the basics.
Lowering springs are made to be a certain height, you're not going to be uneven unless you put 4 different springs on your car.

If you get some form of FULL coilovers, it comes with a spring and shock. If you just get springs (like H&Rs) you SHOULD replace your stock shocks.

Sway bars reduce body roll, but start with tires and wheels + lowering before you start messing with sway bars.

I don't know about 19s. I'm sure it's been done.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
6thgenr said:
Thanks for the help. Will the H&R level the car or will I have to get different heights? If I go with coilcovers will I still need struts and shcoks. What will sway bar(s) do for me? Are 19" wheels out of the question becasue I have been saving for awhile and this 3300.00 is burning a hole in my pocket. I am doing the interior next fall and want the exterior done by late April or so.
with the h&r your height will be pretty much even.
i wouldnt go with coil-overs, everytime you adjust the height your alignment gets screwed.

if you get the h&r springs you can replace the struts and shocks, but its not necessary yet. you can still ride on your stock shocks just fine until it gives out. though you can just replace both at one time to save you some money later on. i am riding on stock shocks in my h&r sport.

the sway bar will make your car stiffer, lateral wise.

19" in my personal opinion is too big. its going to be pain to take care of. plus going bigger will make your car look high. 4X4.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
If you're unsure of what you want, go with some true coil overs, like tein flex or SS(just put them on my rex with EDFC and I LOVE them). You can adjust your ride height and dampening at will. Or you can just go with Tein Basics for height only adjust. There are always coil over sleeves such as ground control, but I personally didn't like the ride on my accord with the GCs and stock dampers. It all boils down to how much you're willing to spend on springs and shocks, and what kind of ride quality you're after.

Anti Sway bars add resistance to weight transfer which lowers the body roll of the car giving you a more sure footed feeling in a turn. Again it boils down to what you're looking for out of your car. In a straight line you'll notice no difference with sway bars, however they can drastically change your car's manners in a turn, not only to they reduce body roll but they can alter your cars understeer/oversteer changing the way it takes a corner.

Personally 18s are the best way to go on 6th gen accord for looks and comfort. Anything smaller than 40 series and you're talking about some serious teeth chattering.

·
Registered
252 Posts
sir...flex isn't available for 6th gen :cry

if money is an issue for you, you can get tein basic. The basic is basically Tein SS without the 16 way adjustment or coil over strut with height adjustment but the strut is made to be with the set so your strut will not feel too stiff as the stroke shortened when you feel like "slamming" nor float when you feel like "rallying". The 16 way adjustment helps you fine tune it to your liking so if the basic setup is too soft for you you can dial it so it's a bit firm vice versa. Usually when you install any strut/coil over setup the installer will make sure (unless you install it yourself of course) that your car is level before tightened the spring preloader.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.