Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie question: can I connect 2 comps with a USB cable?

Yeah yeah, I know. I'm new at this ;). Anyway, can it be done? I'm asking because i dont want to go get a cable for nothing. I need to get some file off my old Compaq and onto the new Vaio, but the Compaq doesnt have a CD-RW. I need a faster way to transfer about 1Gb of crap between comps than 700 floppies.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
do both computers have network cards?:confused: im not sure but if u connect them via cat5 cable, u might be able to transfer it that way. i have 2 computers networked through a router and i know i can send/recieve info between the pc's.

·
Registered
260 Posts
fathead said:
do both computers have network cards?:confused: im not sure but if u connect them via cat5 cable, u might be able to transfer it that way. i have 2 computers networked through a router and i know i can send/recieve info between the pc's.
if you want to connect 2 pc's directly using the network cards... u gotta use a crossover cable....

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fathead said:
Well, I dont know if the Compaq does, but the Vaio has a 10/100 networking. The thing I'm confused about is neither have a networking socket(with the big phoneline-style plug), but they both have USB ports. I'd also like to avoid the extra cost of a router if I can avoid it because I will probably only use it a couple times.

And what is a crossover cable? Is it one of those 9-pin cables?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Honda_Guy said:
Well, I dont know if the Compaq does, but the Vaio has a 10/100 networking. The thing I'm confused about is neither have a networking socket(with the big phoneline-style plug), but they both have USB ports. I'd also like to avoid the extra cost of a router if I can avoid it because I will probably only use it a couple times.

And what is a crossover cable? Is it one of those 9-pin cables?
A crossover cable is a network cable just like the regular cat5 except the wires are crossover on one end, and is meant for hooking up 2 computers directly through their network cards.

u see, on ur network card, there are pins for "send" and for "receive"... so if u just plug a regular cable between 2 cards, it wll not work... let me illustrate this:

let's say Rx is recieve and Tx is transmit.

this is what happens with a crossover ethernet cable (keep in mind this is very simplified).

Tx____ ___Tx
Rx____X___Rx

so as u can see... the crossover cable takes the signal from the transmit and sends it to the recieve and vice versa....

Regular ethernet cable connected to 2 PC's directly would look like this (they will not be able to communicate):

Tx___________Tx
Rx___________Rx

so the 2 PC's can't communicate, if a regular ethernet cable was used, the transmit from one PC will go into the transmit from the other PC and obviously they won't be able to communicate. (A router also does the crossover so the PC's can communicate, along with other functions)...

anyway... hope that helps. :D

·
Registered
260 Posts
Also, why not just buy 2 network cards and a crossover ethernet cable, and connect them... it should only cost u like $20

·
Registered
131 Posts
all u have to do is...

take a harddrive out from one computer, set it as a slave drive on the other computer, then transfer the files, then set it back as the master drive on its original computer...

no money/extra accessories required!! =)

·
Registered
260 Posts
importrule said:
all u have to do is...

take a harddrive out from one computer, set it as a slave drive on the other computer, then transfer the files, then set it back as the master drive on its original computer...

true :p

but i figured it would be easier for him to connect 2 ethernet cards rather than pulling out a HDD and risk damaging it....

·
Registered
519 Posts
importrule said:
all u have to do is...

This is the easiest way without having to buy all the networking equipment. Pull the harddrive out of the old computer and put it in the new one. Just make sure you set it as a slave drive and not the master cause otherwise it will try to boot off the old hardrive. Otherwise your new computer should have the network connection on the back of it, I just bought a new HP and a new HP notebook and they both have the network connection on them, most new computers come with that. Then just go out and buy a netgear ethernet adapter for the old one, and then a networking hub or you can get a router, both serve the same fuction it's just a router can also be used to connect multiple computers to a single interent source like DSL or Cable Modem were a hub cannot, but routers cost more. I guess it all depends on how daring you feel and weather or not you can handle pulling a harddrive out and putting it in a new computer.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help everyone. I did it the old fashioned way with a direct connection cable between printer ports and damn did it take a bloody long time. 10 hours to transfer about a gig! I'll spring for the high speed networking equipment next time.

·
Banned
3,307 Posts
Honda_Guy said:
Thanks for the help everyone. I did it the old fashioned way with a direct connection cable between printer ports and damn did it take a bloody long time. 10 hours to transfer about a gig! I'll spring for the high speed networking equipment next time.
my gosh! :eek:

i would never consider doing that..or even trying it just to say i did it haha

go for ethernet next time for sure lol

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I guess now I CAN say I did. The ethernet router+cables would have cost me the better part of a Franklin, but the DCC was 13 bucks. I couldnt find any routers at Best Buy anyway, just hubs. Oh yeah, it was a PITA sorting out the DCC connection between Win95 and WinXP machines. Thats what I get for saving a little dough.

·
Banned
3,307 Posts
Honda_Guy said:
Well, I guess now I CAN say I did. The ethernet router+cables would have cost me the better part of a Franklin, but the DCC was 13 bucks. I couldnt find any routers at Best Buy anyway, just hubs. Oh yeah, it was a PITA sorting out the DCC connection between Win95 and WinXP machines. Thats what I get for saving a little dough.
well if you wanted to share files...all you needed was a hub..u can pick one up for like 30 bucks

a router is needed if you want to share an internet connection

props to you though

1 - 13 of 13 Posts