Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Im newly signed up to this forum althou ive been reading the posts and FAQ's on here for months (wish i woulda read this before i bought a Venom 300 module...its still sitting in my trunk holding up bottles of windshield washing fluid)

Ive got a 97 Accord LX (yeh non-vtec..ewwww) with auto-tran.
Ive already installed AEM Short Ram along with a Magnaflow Catback. It pulls pretty well in the higher end rpms but im lookin for something to help me with the lower end sun-dial timed acceleration. Its like watching old people walk across a sidewalk from idle to 3500 RPM, then its like watching the 200m dash in the olympics.

Now heres the kicker...ive got a california emissions vehicle which means it has 2 cat converters(was hell when installing the cat, had to cut and re-weld everything), so headers would not work for me without major modifications that would probably be illegal.

So my question is what should i do next to it with a budget of around 700-1000$ that would fix my lack of low-end power and also increase my overal HP/TQ? Also something that would be relatively inexpensive to have installed in a shop <--(im mechanical newbie).

Thanks.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
there are three things to tuning: power, price, and reliability....you're only allowed to have two.

for $1000 you can't do anything mechanically to the car to make it significantly faster....but for $300 you can go to driver school and take classes and become faster by FULL SECONDS and not just a couple hundredths, or at best a tenth of a second you would get from $1k in bolt ons.

www.autocross.com/evolution

·
Registered
247 Posts
i took driving school, for emergancy handling and safety, personaly u could teach this yourself but its hard on ur car... my self, the only thing i time my self at is in straight lines... so if u only plan on racing in straight lines, just learn ur car, and read a book, or talk to someone good, but i wouldn't drop 1k on driving school if thats what ur gona do.... take a look at ur rubber, new performance rubber is great, especialy over stock. Even a set of rims, mind u they won't be anything special. Better grip at the start mite be something u need. Mybe a true pulley kit, new wiring... just throwing ideas in the air

but i do agree u can't make ur car significantly faster with 1 k

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Damn Clownz said:
ill probably just end up improving the suspension. 4-dr accords handle like elephants around turns. Or maybe its just mine
It's just yours.
Mine took corners and kept laughing about them.
You need to modify the suspension of even the EX Accords in order to get some snap out of them at all. Otherwise you end up with fishtail hell and going around turns will feel so not sexy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
TSM_Pikachu said:
It's just yours.
Mine took corners and kept laughing about them.
You need to modify the suspension of even the EX Accords in order to get some snap out of them at all. Otherwise you end up with fishtail hell and going around turns will feel so not sexy.

true true :lmao

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
NoSkillz said:
i took driving school, for emergancy handling and safety, personaly u could teach this yourself but its hard on ur car... my self, the only thing i time my self at is in straight lines... so if u only plan on racing in straight lines, just learn ur car, and read a book, or talk to someone good, but i wouldn't drop 1k on driving school if thats what ur gona do.... take a look at ur rubber, new performance rubber is great, especialy over stock. Even a set of rims, mind u they won't be anything special. Better grip at the start mite be something u need. Mybe a true pulley kit, new wiring... just throwing ideas in the air

but i do agree u can't make ur car significantly faster with 1 k
that's not a performance driving school. they don't teach you grace.

·
Registered
247 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
that's not a performance driving school. they don't teach you grace.
well, i think u should make a post explaining what exactly they do, what they don't do, how they improve u, because im pretty sure not alot of people are informed about performance driving school, just expand our knowledge on this subject or make us more informed on the subject, because im sure its fuzzy for alot of people. The driving school i took was intended to prepare me for the worst possible situation i would face on the road, and how to deal with them. They did time me, and get me to improve my time around small tracks but it sounds like what ur talking about is ment for the tracks

just a thought

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
a performance driving school teaches you to brake and corner smoothly. speed is a derivative. pushing the gas is the easy part.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
NoSkillz said:
well, i think u should make a post explaining what exactly they do, what they don't do, how they improve u, because im pretty sure not alot of people are informed about performance driving school, just expand our knowledge on this subject or make us more informed on the subject, because im sure its fuzzy for alot of people. The driving school i took was intended to prepare me for the worst possible situation i would face on the road, and how to deal with them. They did time me, and get me to improve my time around small tracks but it sounds like what ur talking about is ment for the tracks

just a thought
Evasive manuvering and calm resolution to driving hazards on the road is a bit different than handling an accord through a brisk curve or series of them. Granted in driving school they would teach you how to gain control of a out of control car but a performance oriented driving school would teach a different set of skills.
The skills would more likely focus on smooth acceleration and shifting versus spinning off the line and hard shifting. Proper shift points and powerband use versus redlining everything.
Turns would probably focus on braking skill upon entering turns, curves or any series of them (for smooth and controlled weight shift and suspension loading) versus a hard brake and quick diving into a turn.
Acceleration in the start of a turn, in the turn and exiting it (for gradual and controlled turning) versus the quick dive into the turn that so many people make and gear selection (for most controlled entry and exit speed) along with rev matching (to avoid nose diving and lurching).
I think a performance oriented driving school could benefit those who never push their car that far in everyday driving anyways. I cannot tell you how many people have to steer by nudging the steering wheel in a turn versus a smooth controlled turn and then when they hit the brakes they panic because the backend then starts to lose traction and you can feel it want to break loose.

·
Registered
247 Posts
TSM_Pikachu said:
Evasive manuvering and calm resolution to driving hazards on the road is a bit different than handling an accord through a brisk curve or series of them. Granted in driving school they would teach you how to gain control of a out of control car but a performance oriented driving school would teach a different set of skills.
The skills would more likely focus on smooth acceleration and shifting versus spinning off the line and hard shifting. Proper shift points and powerband use versus redlining everything.
Turns would probably focus on braking skill upon entering turns, curves or any series of them (for smooth and controlled weight shift and suspension loading) versus a hard brake and quick diving into a turn.
Acceleration in the start of a turn, in the turn and exiting it (for gradual and controlled turning) versus the quick dive into the turn that so many people make and gear selection (for most controlled entry and exit speed) along with rev matching (to avoid nose diving and lurching).
I think a performance oriented driving school could benefit those who never push their car that far in everyday driving anyways. I cannot tell you how many people have to steer by nudging the steering wheel in a turn versus a smooth controlled turn and then when they hit the brakes they panic because the backend then starts to lose traction and you can feel it want to break loose.
:number1 :number1 :god

thanks a bunch, that was a very helpful, clear, and direct info that i was looking for thnka u very much

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.