Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what up sol_ciety, i'm new to this forum, but i have a 97 del sol w/ a B16A2, bought it with the engine in it, to my understanding it's came stock, anyways. i wanna do a swap, i want the ctr engine, are there any fab work to do, or is it easy install?

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
your current engine is fine. a ctr motor is soooo not worth it, and i highly emphasize this, in your situation. money much better spent on something else.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
yeah, I agree with snoopy on this one...the only two reasons I can think of anyone wanting a ctr motor would be 1:to have a decent all motor setup and 2: to just say that they have a ctr motor...if you are thinking about going turbo later on down the road, stick with what you have already and boost the ish outta that...bc if you buy the ctr engine and turbo that, you just wasted a perfectly good motor that should be left alone to begin with...I have a friend who just bought an ITR motor and he's planning to boost it...now in my opinion that is just stupid as hell...but if you really want a ctr motor that bad, then go for it...but don't say anything when some rich kid smokes the ish outta you in a boosted sohc...oh and whoever told you that a b16a2 came stock in a del sol must be stupid...the engine code for the DOHC del sol is b16a3... :byye :clap :number1

·
Registered
403 Posts
uhh the doch vtec del sol is a b16a3 in 94-95 and in 96 b16a2 the same one that came in the civic si 99-00. anyways stick with your b16a don't waste a prefectly good motor. if you want throw some ctr cams in there and youll be fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
okay if you want the power *or more* as a CTR motor...do this.. Put in CTR pistons on your B16 rods and you will get a compression ratio of about 11.2:1 Now Put ITR cams, valve springs, and retainers or aftermarket cams and save your self HELLA MONEY :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool

alright, sweet alot of info. i'm not to big on all the info. about del sol's i'm still learning. everything else i'm pretty straight on. i don't wanna boost my car, i wanna kep it n/a. i like all motors cars better. just my taste. i like the suggestions, thanks. i'll keep my motor and work on that bad boy.
thanks again

·
Registered
959 Posts
Yeah man you basically just told everybody you want the same damn motor with different cams, and compression ratio. That's all a CTR is. So just put different cams, up your compression ratio and your b16 will be better than a CTR. What did you think a CTR was?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not much diff.

i knew it wasn't much difference, other than performance, and it being bored out with bigger pistons, rods, and shit but it never clicked in my head to just replace what i have... :bh . now i'm gonna save a hell of a lot of mula.

·
Mowing ur Mom's lawn
2,885 Posts
ismael-robert said:
Yeah man you basically just told everybody you want the same damn motor with different cams, and compression ratio. That's all a CTR is. So just put different cams, up your compression ratio and your b16 will be better than a CTR. What did you think a CTR was?
not exactly, the CTR motor is a Destroked ITR engine. So technically it's a B16 within a B18C5's block.

Definitely for a street car, rock some CTR or ITR cams, STR cam gears, the stock valve springs and retainers should be ok (unless you plen to rev it higher than the stock rev limiter), CTR pistons, a decent flowing header, and a nice exhaust. To get teh most out of it, maybe (if you have the money and know a tuner) buy a Hondata S100 and get it dyno tuned, you'll prob get an extra 10-13ish whp out of the setup. But if you could have afforded the B16B i think you'll have enough for the hondata and tune :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
the B16B is deffinately not bored out..its still 81mm...it just has higher compression and meaner cams basically and meaner valvetrain so it can rev higher

·
Mowing ur Mom's lawn
2,885 Posts
VtecSol said:
I think you should buy a CTR and give me your B16...who needs em anyway..? :laugh
i have 2, can never have too much of a good thing right? lol i love my B16's

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright. well i'm gona buy me what i need for my B16. thanks alot y'all

1 - 14 of 14 Posts