Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
what kind of fast do you want, like stright line fast? or overall handling? 5k can pick u up a decent car. I'd stray away from DSM's imo.

get an R, hehe turbo brick ftw :ninja

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
might be able to find a sentra ser spec v now for that much or if you wanna take a risk svt focus, they didn't hold their value for shit, but will run low 15's stock depending on driver and conditions.
so can I, and I have 4 dr's and an auto tragic, :lol

I think I could even get high 14's if the track conditions are better and I get more than 2 runs in, lol

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
umm fastste bang for buck car to make faster..would be a fox body stang.....not honda will ever touch what it can do powerwise for it's price or even turbo dsm....some breather mods and a different rear end and you drop over a second off of your 1/4 mile time. then start doing heads a cam tune...sticky tires and a spray and you're looking at 11's
mustangs = ghey

Get an old MOPAR A body, they can be had fairly cheap. My buddy just let a 72 Dart go for 2500. Granted it only had a 318 in it, but finding a 360 or 440 isnt too hard. I gaurntee you'll be faster than a fox body. MOPAR dominated the strip for years for good reason, there stuff works and is extremely powerful.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
why are they gay? he wants to go fast for cheap...what better car than a fox body.. an fox-body is the best choice....not an even older mopar.....parts for stangs are retarded cheap for the old 5.slows
Strictly speaking cheap I guess.

IMO, there ugly as fuck, everyone has one, you need to grow a mullet and blast lennord skynard and think your better than everyone else to own one.

Just never been a fan, fast for cheap sure, but if I wanted a RWD ******* rocket, MOPAR all the way.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
maybe they like to go fast for low maint....hehe ;-p...not everybody can afford 5000 dollars in upgrades to make 200 hp :hehe
There are plenty of cars that are low maint.

Like I say, I agree that for cheap they can be made fast, and some even look good, but not my cup of tea at all. Tho, it could be the people up here that drive them. No respect for anyone else, there just assholes, and imo, the car is ugly as fuck, and over done.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
oh yeah? look up the price to buy a b18c1 and swap it into a civic and build it to 200hp.....
200whp, probs yeah. Honda's are sooo expensive to make fast N/A. Only thing that really blows about them.

Still wouldn't mind another tho. Tho, if I got another, boost would be a must.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
v8's in general are the easiest way to go fast for cheap.

I've been toying with the idea of maybe picking up one of my friend dan's MOPAR's since he's possibly thinking of selling? God 4-500hp close to stock, and the torque!! The cars run like 13-12's stock all day long.

They just handle like beached whales tho, haha

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
here was the car my buddy was thinking of lettin go, 72 Dart Swinger, More modern 360ci V8 with a B&M supercharger pretty much complete, needs paint and the interior installed and a tune. He tuned it this fall for like 3lbs. of boost, ran a mid 12 and has oodles of power. I'll bet once he gets a good tune going on it next spring at like 10lbs. of boost, its an easy 10sec. car

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
that one needs some trim parts too, but imo, as a toy you take to the race track, its def. a complete package. He won't let it go, but he also owns my favorite muscle machine ever, a Dodge Coronet. Here's that:

He prob. won't sell it, but its sweet. An original 440 six pack car with 4spd hurst trans. Its a beast

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
nice, a nissian v8 right? why not. I just feel wierd when I see another brand motor swapped into a honda or nissian or whatever. Feels sac-religious.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
why?....

from the factory there are nissan powered chevies

chevy powered toyotas

toyota powered chevy's

subaru powered saab's

manufacturers have other brand motors in their cars all of the time.....there are chevy's that are rb powered from the factory and vise/versa
meh, I'm a pureist. Granted your right, but imo I wouldn't swap a 4g63 into a 240.

Not saying its retarded, just not my thing or what I would do.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Im gonna throw a spanner in the works now.
A SAAB 9000 2.3 turbo
Pick one up for £500
Bigger injectors £400
Bigger turbo £650
3bar map sensor £100
Remap £350 (Unless its a pre 91 car then there is a paint covered screw under the dash which is the boost limit screw so you just screw her right up to 1.2bar):ninja
= 400bhp for £2000
If your wanting to head into 500bhp+you need a big Garret GT30R and cams+head work+650cc injectors.
And not an internal needs touched :ninja
= 400bhp for £2000
Most sweedish turbo'd cars this holds true. Hell, I could get 300whp out of my car without having to touch internals either.

Bigger DP, exhaust, intake, upgrade the turbo to a 16g or 19t, tune = 300whp all day long or more depending on setup.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Cav's are complete piles of shit and GM should have given that car an abortion. I don't care how good of a motor you put in it, its still a shitty car. /thread

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
actually noob i'm talking about a z24 not a 96 whp base cavalier
That dosen't impress me, the Z24 is metro sexual at best.

Sorry, you won't make me a believer out of that car ever. Biggest piles of shit ever. And whats so diffrent between the Z24 and the rest of em? Sure, the ECO tec is a strong motor, and the car can be quick, but its still too bad its wrapped up in such a hunk of turd.

I'm still surprised you stand up for these things considering all the FAR superior cars out there, your one of the few and the proud I guess. Maybe yours actually lasted and wasnt broken or being a cheap POS all the time.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
considering it's about as fast a stock gsr and it's not hard to get them into the 14's...or that when both are fed some FI they make considerable more tq. i'll give any car props that can make considerably balanced hp and tq at a reasonable rpm....no offense but you drove an integra what makes that car so special outside of the honda community? and z24's don't come with ecotec's they come with ld9's which will putdown 180+hp with a 200 dollar head upgrade...the integras and civics weren't anything to rave about. so i don't know why you make it sounds like you're comparing a kia to a ferrari

90% of the similarly aged hondas on the road or riced out rusted out fart machines that will be lucky to see a 16 second 1/4 mile or are shooting out puffs of smoke because of fucked up ring lands.
Its not a terrible motor, but again, as stated is wrapped in shit. Crappy interior quality, panel appointments, and lets not forget everywhere else on the car where GM's legendary quality and reliability shine all over the rest of the car. Sure they were cheap econo box type cars, but when you could buy a Corlolla or a Civic, that will run with little to no maintenance forever, and imo, handle better, be better made quality wise, I'll stick with other cars besides the cav. I've seen too many 1st hand shit out, fall to pieces. Sure, Honda's aren't fast, we know this, but at the same time, there well put together well engineered machines that last, and thats what I go with.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
all cars have their problems...older hondas are notorious for rust under the wheel liner. and i wouldn't exactly call a 1995 civic ex the staple point of interior quality on a car.....and the only stupid reliable honda motor that lasted forever and ever was the d-series. h22a and b-series lasted like any other properly maintained 4cyl...hell almost all of them smoke after 120K

not saying the cavalier was a premier vehicle but the hondas and corollas you're talking about weren't exactly awesome either.
Yes, a design defect, but anything rusts under the right conditions, like up here, haha.

I'm not saying a civic has the best either, but its better than what I've seen in a cav. They squeak, crack, buttons fall off ect. Never had this problem with any of the imports I've owned. Keep in mind, I've owned and driven my fare share of domestics, including cav's. Even as far as motors go, as an example, my GSR had 200k on it when I sold it, and its still kicking plenty well. Sure it started a smoking problem at 185k, but shit, find me a motor that dosent burn a small amount of oil with that many miles on it.

But the fact that the cav is the inferior vehicle is no secret in any literature you pick up, and if you had to pick side by side, a civic EX for a cav as an example, I think the choice is pretty clear, but then again, maybe your car actually worked out for you and you liked it, which is fine. But, by and large its not a secret that they were terrible cars and its outdated platform which had basically remained un changed since what, the 80's stayed in production for WAY too long while competitors created models in the class that were FAR ahead of the cav in ALL aspects.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
even cars.com says they don't like the cav's antiquated design right on there, it says it right there!!!

Yes your right the 80's is somewhat of a stretch, but GM used a relatively unchanged version of the 2.0-2.2l OHV engine since the cars inception. till the mid 90's till they finally went to DOHC engines and the ecotec. The original design ran for the cars 1st 2 generations, so basically the car was unchanged from 81-94, then redesigned in 94 again.

81-94 and 94-02 is a long time to go without any redesign. Sure they spruced it up, made small changes, but over all were lacking compared to other builders in regards to updating and improving the platform.

Just looking at Honda's alone, the civic went through a redesign far more often and was constantly improving, and many other car companys did the same with their cars, not just Honda, just using it as an example.

And again, I've seen and worked on way too many cav's that just fall apart, even ones that are well taken care of. This is an opinion I guess, but I've seen these things break down first hand all the time with low miles, high miles the whole 9 yards.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.