Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
yeah but it has 262k miles lol it doesnt sound like its got good compression but it sure drives like it does :p

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
considering it's about as fast a stock gsr and it's not hard to get them into the 14's...or that when both are fed some FI they make considerable more tq. i'll give any car props that can make considerably balanced hp and tq at a reasonable rpm....no offense but you drove an integra what makes that car so special outside of the honda community? and z24's don't come with ecotec's they come with ld9's which will putdown 180+hp with a 200 dollar head upgrade...the integras and civics weren't anything to rave about. so i don't know why you make it sounds like you're comparing a kia to a ferrari

90% of the similarly aged hondas on the road or riced out rusted out fart machines that will be lucky to see a 16 second 1/4 mile or are shooting out puffs of smoke because of fucked up ring lands.
Its not a terrible motor, but again, as stated is wrapped in shit. Crappy interior quality, panel appointments, and lets not forget everywhere else on the car where GM's legendary quality and reliability shine all over the rest of the car. Sure they were cheap econo box type cars, but when you could buy a Corlolla or a Civic, that will run with little to no maintenance forever, and imo, handle better, be better made quality wise, I'll stick with other cars besides the cav. I've seen too many 1st hand shit out, fall to pieces. Sure, Honda's aren't fast, we know this, but at the same time, there well put together well engineered machines that last, and thats what I go with.

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
Its not a terrible motor, but again, as stated is wrapped in shit. Crappy interior quality, panel appointments, and lets not forget everywhere else on the car where GM's legendary quality and reliability shine all over the rest of the car. Sure they were cheap econo box type cars, but when you could buy a Corlolla or a Civic, that will run with little to no maintenance forever, and imo, handle better, be better made quality wise, I'll stick with other cars besides the cav. I've seen too many 1st hand shit out, fall to pieces. Sure, Honda's aren't fast, we know this, but at the same time, there well put together well engineered machines that last, and thats what I go with.
all cars have their problems...older hondas are notorious for rust under the wheel liner. and i wouldn't exactly call a 1995 civic ex the staple point of interior quality on a car.....and the only stupid reliable honda motor that lasted forever and ever was the d-series. h22a and b-series lasted like any other properly maintained 4cyl...hell almost all of them smoke after 120K

not saying the cavalier was a premier vehicle but the hondas and corollas you're talking about weren't exactly awesome either.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
all cars have their problems...older hondas are notorious for rust under the wheel liner. and i wouldn't exactly call a 1995 civic ex the staple point of interior quality on a car.....and the only stupid reliable honda motor that lasted forever and ever was the d-series. h22a and b-series lasted like any other properly maintained 4cyl...hell almost all of them smoke after 120K

not saying the cavalier was a premier vehicle but the hondas and corollas you're talking about weren't exactly awesome either.
Yes, a design defect, but anything rusts under the right conditions, like up here, haha.

I'm not saying a civic has the best either, but its better than what I've seen in a cav. They squeak, crack, buttons fall off ect. Never had this problem with any of the imports I've owned. Keep in mind, I've owned and driven my fare share of domestics, including cav's. Even as far as motors go, as an example, my GSR had 200k on it when I sold it, and its still kicking plenty well. Sure it started a smoking problem at 185k, but shit, find me a motor that dosent burn a small amount of oil with that many miles on it.

But the fact that the cav is the inferior vehicle is no secret in any literature you pick up, and if you had to pick side by side, a civic EX for a cav as an example, I think the choice is pretty clear, but then again, maybe your car actually worked out for you and you liked it, which is fine. But, by and large its not a secret that they were terrible cars and its outdated platform which had basically remained un changed since what, the 80's stayed in production for WAY too long while competitors created models in the class that were FAR ahead of the cav in ALL aspects.

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
Yes, a design defect, but anything rusts under the right conditions, like up here, haha.

I'm not saying a civic has the best either, but its better than what I've seen in a cav. They squeak, crack, buttons fall off ect. Never had this problem with any of the imports I've owned. Keep in mind, I've owned and driven my fare share of domestics, including cav's. Even as far as motors go, as an example, my GSR had 200k on it when I sold it, and its still kicking plenty well. Sure it started a smoking problem at 185k, but shit, find me a motor that dosent burn a small amount of oil with that many miles on it.

But the fact that the cav is the inferior vehicle is no secret in any literature you pick up, and if you had to pick side by side, a civic EX for a cav as an example, I think the choice is pretty clear, but then again, maybe your car actually worked out for you and you liked it, which is fine. But, by and large its not a secret that they were terrible cars and its outdated platform which had basically remained un changed since what, the 80's stayed in production for WAY too long while competitors created models in the class that were FAR ahead of the cav in ALL aspects.
1. that entire post is complete opinion and barely any fact.....cars have problems import and domestic alike......they suffer from the same issues hondas have....hondas squeak burn oil crack ringlands and we all know mileage means nothing on a motor if you take care of it and don't beat the piss out of it. yes a civic ex has a slightly nicer interior than the top of the line cavy but that's based on the owners opinion. and you have not owned a fair share of imports that weren't already owned by previous owners.

2. what do you mean unchanged since the 80's? do you have any idea what you are talking about? they had at least 3 distinct generations with many different engine selections throughout each generation. you're making a blanket statement based on your opinion. what cars that were in the cavy's class were way ahead of it in all aspects.....that's another one of your opinions you're passing off as fact. sure some hondas had nicer interiors considering they cost a little more....but to say "all" aspects is ignorant. it's a mid-tier car meant to save money and get good gas. they were quicker than a good portion of the hondas and got better gas mileage than similar hondas so you are wrong about all aspects. btw

3. you're telling me out of mitsu, honda, nissan, toyota, mazda, chrylser that the cavalier was at the bottom of everything?......nissan's have oiling issues in there motors,...mitsu's need leashes, timing belts, and for 420a motors constant head gaskets on the 3 speed autos, mazda's have just started becoming remotely reliable again etc.......how many 90's hondas that are barely over 100K smoke everytime you hit vtec?....plenty of them do

not saying the cavy is an amazing car but i wouldn't rank a top of the line civic much higher than one

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier Summary

2004 Honda Civic Standard Equipment and Specs

now stfu...the civic did .2 better overall in terms of reliability and gas mileage is also on par...so no they aren't pieces of shit but they definitely aren't gold either

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
even cars.com says they don't like the cav's antiquated design right on there, it says it right there!!!

Yes your right the 80's is somewhat of a stretch, but GM used a relatively unchanged version of the 2.0-2.2l OHV engine since the cars inception. till the mid 90's till they finally went to DOHC engines and the ecotec. The original design ran for the cars 1st 2 generations, so basically the car was unchanged from 81-94, then redesigned in 94 again.

81-94 and 94-02 is a long time to go without any redesign. Sure they spruced it up, made small changes, but over all were lacking compared to other builders in regards to updating and improving the platform.

Just looking at Honda's alone, the civic went through a redesign far more often and was constantly improving, and many other car companys did the same with their cars, not just Honda, just using it as an example.

And again, I've seen and worked on way too many cav's that just fall apart, even ones that are well taken care of. This is an opinion I guess, but I've seen these things break down first hand all the time with low miles, high miles the whole 9 yards.

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
<cough>

<cough>

<cough>

FUCK CAVALIERS!

·
Registered
10,346 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
both suck, end of story. my brothers 91 celica gts rapes both cars in stock trim
your brother is full of crap about the gsr..if he isnt then the gsr had full load of doughnut of the month club members in it

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
your brother is full of crap about the gsr..if he isnt then the gsr had full load of doughnut of the month club members in it
b17 gsr, not b18

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
we are NOT talking about my bro's car in mint condition versus a mint condition gsr

let it go. the race happened, the race was won

141 - 157 of 157 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.