Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a d16y7 block with a d16y8 head and tranny swap. I am using the y8 head gasket. I'm running with the SI(P2T)? ecu. I have I/E and adjustable cam gears..what should be the next mod for my SOHC Vtec. I have read that the stock EX exhaust manifold is good, so I'm not planning on buying new headers. I don't want to spend money on the little things, which isn't going to get me a lot of gains. Not planning on going NOS or turbo yet..the car is pretty quick. But not fast enough! I have heard the D-series has good potential, so I'm trying to see how much potential it actually has!!! Thanks

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
IMO, if you want a quick ride without spending TONS of money, it would be best to turbocharge it. I just think n/a is a waste on SOHC motors because quite frankly your not going to go anywhere unless its gutted to hell and/or have spent lots of money.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Actually I think the P2T is a good ecu for his setup, especially if he gets a cam & valvetrain upgrade! The P2T offers a 5500rpm VTEC crossover and over 8000rpm redline, also the fuel curves are setup to support 160hp instead of only 127hp. A chipped P28 is OK, but would cost good money and usually generic programs are way too rich which robs power.

He is still under 10:1 compression so the c/r is negligible considering ignition maps in the P2T are for 10.2:1 c/r. Although the B16 could technically run more advance due to the improved rod/stroke ratio, the c/r difference should just about make it even.

I would strongly recommend a good header & exhaust upgrade, all the intake mods in the world won't help much if you can't get rid of the extra air/fuel. I would try a Crower stage 2 cam w/spring upgrade, see how well the engine/ecu responds to it.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
p28 tuned with uberdata, dont bother with that b16 ecu, its no good for that setup

right now i think you need to decide on if you wanto go N/A, boost, or spray, that will give us a better idea of what other mods to suggest

also knowing what kinda budget you plan to spend and if this is your daily driver or not can help us decide how-to help guide you, instead of naming alot of generic upgrades that might not necessarily help you achieve whatever goals that you might have

e.

ps you have a Header(singular) and Cam gear(singular) JFWY :hehe

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an APEXi N1 catback, so that should be good enough. Well, so far I am thinking about going N/A, but boost may be good also. I was planning on going with a B-series swap, but after knowing how much potential a D-series has, I'm not quite sure which path to take. I mean..a B-series is good looking..haha. But, can a D-series take me where I want to go? My dream is to be in the 11 second range...but for now I'm just trying to go mid-14s. Can i achieve mid-14s going N/A w/o spending tons of money.(less than $400)..

P.S- Cam Gear(Singular) and Header(Singular)..nice catch. Haha..i forgot that I only have ONE!! :hehe

·
Registered
478 Posts
klungemonger said:
Mid 14's for $400 is possible...just get a nitrous kit. Otherwise you won't make it. But with a moderate turbo setup mid-13's is possible. 11-seconds on any motor is going to cost you big money.
promise: i will hit 11 second 1/4 for the price of a GSR swap.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
klungemonger said:
Mid 14's for $400 is possible...just get a nitrous kit. Otherwise you won't make it. But with a moderate turbo setup mid-13's is possible. 11-seconds on any motor is going to cost you big money.

maybe mid 14s for 400 isnt possible for you, give me a crx and a d16a6 and ill show you mid 14s for 400 easy

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
fsufan814 said:
maybe mid 14s for 400 isnt possible for you, give me a crx and a d16a6 and ill show you mid 14s for 400 easy
So, how much does a CRX Si cost? $400? My point being, there is no CRX here. I'm not arguing that it's impossible on ANY car at all, but we're talking about HIS car. It seems he has a 6g chassis, so if you believe you can make mini-me mid-14's for $400, I'll anxiously await the proof.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
fsufan814 said:
Yeah, except we are not talking about a CRX, we are talking about a 6th gen coupe. I would definitely love to see you try to make a mid 14 second pass with only $400 to spend on a 6th gen coupe.

·
Registered
478 Posts
xtremefusion said:
Yeah, except we are not talking about a CRX, we are talking about a 6th gen coupe. I would definitely love to see you try to make a mid 14 second pass with only $400 to spend on a 6th gen coupe.
while yes you are both right, we are talking about 6th gen coupes(the original posters car)...

however, the original statement made by sir xtremefusion of:

i just think n/a is a waste on SOHC motors because quite frankly your not going to go anywhere unless its gutted to hell and/or have spent lots of money.
...infact did not specify "going NA on a 6th gen coupe with a SOHC is a waste" when it should have if that was to be the basis for your arguement.

so why should we sit here and have a pissing contest over useless drivel that doesnt help this guy out??? well the answer to that is because we should keep open ended comments such as the above about "na is worthless for a SOHC" to a minimum, as it may give a newbie member whom doesnt know much a false impression.

the truth is as we all know that you can do it with a light chassis, but.. as i said rehtorically already, that was NOT specified ORIGINALLY.

400$ on a 6th gen chassis will obviosuly NOT even come close to nailing 14's second 1/4 mile pass with only basic breathing modifications. That was the simple answer, so why make things more difficult than they need to be?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
4dr said:
while yes you are both right, we are talking about 6th gen coupes(the original posters car)...

...infact did not specify "going NA on a 6th gen coupe with a SOHC is a waste" when it should have if that was to be the basis for your arguement.

so why should we sit here and have a pissing contest over useless drivel that doesnt help this guy out??? well the answer to that is because we should keep open ended comments such as the above about "na is worthless for a SOHC" to a minimum, as it may give a newbie member whom doesnt know much a false impression.

the truth is as we all know that you can do it with a light chassis, but.. as i said rehtorically already, that was NOT specified ORIGINALLY.

400$ on a 6th gen chassis will obviosuly NOT even come close to nailing 14's second 1/4 mile pass with only basic breathing modifications. That was the simple answer, so why make things more difficult than they need to be?
as the young kids say "Werd BRO"

lol

seriously i think you guys took words out of context, i was really refferring to the thought of "N/A sohc being a waste" and then right after saying that doing 14s for 400 was impossible, i was just pointing out a N/A sohc in the right chassis for 400 bucks will do 14s, possible less money if you have the right tranny/chassis... hell i could make one run 11s for 400 bucks if i could get it to fit on the back of that ol go-kart i have

in any event the best i can give the guy above is you really need to decide if you wanto go N/A, boost, spray what have you, if you feel so inclined to do your own tuning, obd1 coneversion and ecu and learning uberdata and learn to tune with a wideband could help you in an future goals that you would have as the stock ecu's on our cars are FAR from "ideal"

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
4dr said:

I'm sticking to my opinion that n/a is just a waste on SOHC, I found that out a long time ago. Only way to extract power out of an SOHC would be forced induction.

With a lighter platform, I could definitely see it happen, however, upon reading his posts, I figured he had a 6th gen coupe/sedan and doing n/a mods on those cars are just worthless IMO. Much better gains would be to turbocharge granted if the motor is in good condition.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
xtremefusion said:
I'm sticking to my opinion that n/a is just a waste on SOHC, I found that out a long time ago. Only way to extract power out of an SOHC would be forced induction.

With a lighter platform, I could definitely see it happen, however, upon reading his posts, I figured he had a 6th gen coupe/sedan and doing n/a mods on those cars are just worthless IMO. Much better gains would be to turbocharge granted if the motor is in good condition.
Maybe you didn't start your n/a sohc project like this guy is...asking for advice on what can be done. The fact is there ARE guys running all-motor d16 daily drivers in the 13's!!! Street-tuned Y8 and Z6's pushing 160+ whp. Not for $400, but it is doable and still for less than the cost of a GSR or B16 hydro swap.
And just because I'm swapping anyways doesn't mean you shouldn't listen! :D

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
xtremefusion said:
Nothing wrong with a SOHC engine. What good is 2 cams if you are still 1.6L? They don't call the b16 the torqueless wonder for nothing... And spending $3k to get an engine with just 30hp more seems silly to me...

I figured he had a 6th gen coupe/sedan and doing n/a mods on those cars are just worthless IMO.
Don't make silly generalizations like this.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
kommon_sense said:
Nothing wrong with a SOHC engine. What good is 2 cams if you are still 1.6L? They don't call the b16 the torqueless wonder for nothing... And spending $3k to get an engine with just 30hp more seems silly to me...

Don't make silly generalizations like this.
I never meant that he should swap to extract power, when its perfectly capable of doing it to the SOHC, I just meant that to extract any decent amount of power out of an SOHC, would be forced induction without hurting your wallet.

Of course, you can do it n/a wise as well, but that will require more time money and patience. If your up to that, then by all means, go for it.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
klungemonger said:
Maybe you didn't start your n/a sohc project like this guy is...asking for advice on what can be done. The fact is there ARE guys running all-motor d16 daily drivers in the 13's!!! Street-tuned Y8 and Z6's pushing 160+ whp. Not for $400, but it is doable and still for less than the cost of a GSR or B16 hydro swap.
And just because I'm swapping anyways doesn't mean you shouldn't listen! :D
While thats true and I agree with you, you can make yourself a junkyard turbo setup for initially half of what a swap would consist and still be faster than a swapped car (stock) or an n/a sohc. Thats all I've been trying to get my point across. Why have a y8 or z6 pushing 160whp when you can have a boosted y8 or z6 pushing more amount of power and torque, while still spending less than what you would gain n/a wise.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.