Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fry: 'Button will win a race in 2005'

Jenson Button can still score his first-ever Formula One victory this season despite a terrible start to the year, according to his BAR boss Nick Fry.
Button and BAR started the season expecting to fight for their maiden grand prix win but have yet to finish a race in 2005, let alone score points.

Button's troubles continued in Sunday's Bahrain Grand Prix when he retired after 46 laps with a clutch problem.

But despite slipping from second in the Constructors' Championship last season to bottom of the pile after three races this year, Fry is predicting a swift improvement.

He said: "I don't think there's any doubt that our target is to win races."

"We said we wanted to win one or two races and we've had three disappointing races but we've got 16 more to go so we've got plenty more opportunity."

"I don't think there's any particular doubt that we will bounce back."

"It's obviously disappointing and it's not what we expected at the start of the year."

"We knew this year would be difficult because we are fighting with the top guys and we are trying to get a win and not fighting for championship position which we did last year."

Fry, who took over the top job at BAR from David Richards in the winter, believes his team's strength will shine through in the coming races.

The Honda-powered team improved their cars continually last season as some of their rivals, notably Renault, dropped back and Fry is banking on that ability to bring the good times back to Brackley.

"We remain optimistic," he added.

"Obviously we have made life more difficult for ourselves, there's no doubt about that."

"The strength of our team, which we demonstrated last year, is our ability to continue to go faster and faster throughout the year and most of our competition don't have the ability to do that."

"I've got no worries that we can pick it up. We can get the speed back."

Fry is confident his star driver Button, who delivered an angry tirade about the team's troubles after retiring in Malaysia, has not let a string of disappointments dampen his enthusiasm.

Fry insists Button is "in jolly good spirits" and has promised the Englishman a better car for the next race at Imola as new aerodynamic parts become available.

He said: "We've got some improvements for Imola. We are a little bit off the pace but we know where that is - we haven't got as much downforce as some of the others, we are probably four-tenths down on pure aerodynamics."

"Geoff Willis [technical director] has got an aero package which we are testing next week which looks good in the wind tunnel and assuming it works will be on the car in Imola."

"The one continuous issue is the lack of aero performance which hopefully will be fixed in time for the next race."

"I think we can pick up a lot of the speed, we have clearly got the strategy."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.