Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
i think vtec should be one of the mods and make it the top 11 mods you can do

btw what the hell kind of daily driver do you roll around in? gutted on a daily?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yes, gutted daily. I'm not sure why everyone seems to think that's so strange. I enjoy every mile I drive, and try to make sure my cars aren't getting in the way of that. From where I stand, people have completely missed the purpose of cars as a mode of transportation rather than some weird pseudo-second-home with all sorts of unnecessary amenities.

My focus has always been simple: reliability (which includes ease of maintenance), safety, and performance (which includes efficiency).

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The current state of affairs:
Interior is finished, body is in the middle of cleanup.

I'll be buying an s13 or s14 sr20de (non-turbo) for the winter, megasquirt-ing that, and plopping it in for spring. For now, the crappy ca20e will do (once I finally source a starter that actually fits... I only know that the 8-tooth does NOT fit this).

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well kiddos, looks like I'm getting another turbo s12 to daily while I swap the ca18det into this chassis as my 'hardcore' daily. Hopefully I can make all that happen by the end of the month. State of affairs as of tonight:

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I've started a big list of problems to address tomorrow night, starting with sorting out the suspension in a meaningful way.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
shit looks super clean

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
... but looks can be deceiving. The paint isn't in as good of condition as it looks like, the interior is rough or just not there, there weren't any mirrors or seat belts when I showed up to pick it up, and the suspension reminds me of a tiny boat sailing between huge waves.

I drove 600 miles in this on Saturday night.

The shifter was only loosely attached with a bit of tape.

The tires were more bald than a 60-year-old middle school teacher.

And there's a screwdriver in the turbo. I don't know why it's there yet, but I figured I'd leave it there, else it'd release untold hordes of demons into the world if I pulled it out.

There are other issues, of course, like the two times it just ... died ... while on the road, and the complete lack of any kind of working turn signals ... and the fact that the alternator doesn't appear to be charging the battery at all ... and the passenger window doesn't move, and the driver's window consistently falls off its track ... but that's all stuff I can work out, now that it's home.

I guess the bottom line is just that. It's home. It's here and I can get to work on finishing it up.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
haha, wow. She needs some love

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
you're selling it? boo!

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
New motor mounts going in this week, care of Dick's Sporting Goods:

I also arranged to pick up the rear subframe to measure, test fit, and hopefully install with a cantilever/pushrod suspension setup. It's no secret that I'm not a fan of the rear trailing arm suspension design that the s12 uses:

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I was driving down to pick up my new struts today when I came to a stop light. I noticed smoke coming out of the hood, a rubbery smell, and then the engine died a sputtering death. I pushed it into a nearby parking lot and found a scorched wire connecting the battery to a relay in the engine bay. I'm assuming this is a moron rewire from a previous owner, but I suppose it could possibly be OEM. I ordered a replacement, which will be in tomorrow morning, and had to leave the car in the abandoned parking lot 'till then.

The relay connector was pretty much melted to the relay, and I had to get pretty brutal with it to disconnect them.

Any ideas on why that relay would've freaked out and drew so much current? Or what the relay actually goes to? It looks like a fuel injector or pump relay, but I'm not 100%

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
As it turns out, it doesn't matter what wire that actually was. A half dozen had ended up frying themselves, so I'm just replacing the wiring harness altogether.

In the meantime, I've installed a shifter that actually takes advantage of a knob!

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Lol, is that an integra shift knob?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
It may very well be. It was sitting at the bottom of a bin. It fits, and it's comfy, so I'm not complaining. I know I had to use Camaro seat belts and portions of the dash are out of a Focus, as well.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts