Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
lol. Seems like a lot of time/money spent for something you haven't used?

BTW, in that snow picture, is that an 850 or a 70 series Volvo sedan I detect?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
lol. Seems like a lot of time/money spent for something you haven't used?
Isn't that how most cars work out? I haven't spent much money on it, all things considered. It won't be difficult to sell or trade, and CRX's aren't obscenely expensive any more. I definitely have my eye on an Acura Legend or 3.5rl to take the donor engine/subframe-assembly out of. I just haven't been able to find out if I can put a manual trans on a 3.5rl yet.

BTW, in that snow picture, is that an 850 or a 70 series Volvo sedan I detect?
s70 turbo, only the fwd one.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Its been a while since ive checked out driven daily but this guy,your engineering skills, and millions of cars, be motivating me to do some crazy stuff lol.

Whats up with the mid 80 era. Ive seen an 84-88 200sx before but never thought anything of it, not until i googled it last night and saw them modified. I didnt realize how much it looks like an AE86. I just looked at the 4th gen celica and same thing. They got that long hatchback style. Was it really that popular? Ive only recently got into the import scene so this early stuff i have no clue on.

Case and point
Drummingpariah said:
CRX's aren't obscenely expensive any more
Were they ever???

So what would you be doing with the CRX? And what are you going to do with the engine and subfram of a 3.5?? Combing the two?

Alot of questions, i know but its your fault.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Its been a while since ive checked out driven daily but this guy,your engineering skills, and millions of cars, be motivating me to do some crazy stuff lol.

Whats up with the mid 80 era. Ive seen an 84-88 200sx before but never thought anything of it, not until i googled it last night and saw them modified. I didnt realize how much it looks like an AE86. I just looked at the 4th gen celica and same thing. They got that long hatchback style. Was it really that popular? Ive only recently got into the import scene so this early stuff i have no clue on.
There's nothing wrong with asking lots of questions, nobody expects anyone to know EVERYTHING, after all. The s12 is definitely an underdog. There's lots of potential, and I'm happy to say that lately 'car people' seem to be diversifying what we're happy with. Not everyone wants an FD or Supra any more, and the b16 and *jz and rb* craze seems to be dying off (slowly). Car culture is all about extremes, and now some people seem to be getting extreme about chassis that haven't seen attention previously. I call that a win.

Right now I only have the one car. I typically swap out my car every year or so, but I'm finally looking for something I'd be happy with owning forever. I'm really a suspension fanatic, and I'm not crazy about any of the solutions that are manageable for the s12, which has caused my will to work on it to dwindle. There's no point having a hobby that you don't love, so I'm ready to move on and pass this daily driver on to someone else, now that it's dead reliable.

So what would you be doing with the CRX? And what are you going to do with the engine and subfram of a 3.5?? Combing the two?

Alot of questions, i know but its your fault.
The plan, in a nutshell:
  1. Remove c3*a subframe and wiring from Legend
  2. Remove rear subframe from the CRX (using a sawzall)
  3. Install radius rods and heim joints into c3*a subframe in place of tie rods (to lock in toe settings)
  4. Weld c3*a subframe into the back of the CRX, engine, trans, and all
  5. Fabricate shift linkage, clutch controls, and throttle controls
  6. Drive around for a few days, to make sure nothing falls off (using the stock d-series engine in the front)
  7. Remove d-series engine, replace with fuel cell
  8. Run fuel and coolant lines to the c3*a engine
  9. Wire c3*a engine (probably using a basic race switch panel)
  10. Drive, while sorting out caster settings and spring rates for the front and rear
  11. Button up firewall and other enclosures
  12. Overfenders and wide wheels/tires (Rauh Welt seems to choose killer overfenders)
  13. Add power, tune accordingly. Rinse and repeat.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Ahah nice. Def following the build log on this one. So How much you think this project is going to run you? What are you tuning with, an RTP setup?

I knew some guy that put a B20 in the rear of a prelude and had it running but i dont think he ever finished it.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Isn't that how most cars work out? I haven't spent much money on it, all things considered. It won't be difficult to sell or trade, and CRX's aren't obscenely expensive any more. I definitely have my eye on an Acura Legend or 3.5rl to take the donor engine/subframe-assembly out of. I just haven't been able to find out if I can put a manual trans on a 3.5rl yet.

s70 turbo, only the fwd one.
The AWD ones aren't as fun, imo, they just have more traction and don't torque steer as much. Personally I like smoke clouds coming from under my front tires in a Volvo.

Your car?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Tuning? Stock. No reason to mess with the engine at all. Ideally, I'd like a c35a out of an Acura 2.5rl and a 6speed manual out of an Acura Legend coupe. It's unlikely that I'll end up with either, and I figure I'll be just as happy with a c32a out of a Legend with a 5speed. It makes 200hp all day, has great power curves, gets good mileage, and is cheap/easy to rebuild. I'll simplify it a little by removing power steering, air conditioning, etc ... but I don't plan to crack the engine or trans open at all.

The total budget? On the low side, around $2k and a solid month of nights and weekends.

• $1k for a rear-damage 5speed Legend
  • $500 for a solid CRX shell
  • $250 in steel and welding supplies
  • $250 in misc. other stuff that I can't plan for ahead of time

On the high side, closer to $5k and two to three months of nights and weekends. I think a realistic estimate is somewhere in between the two. Both estimates are JUST based on getting the engine in the car, lining up the suspension so the geometry isn't absolutely horrible, and running enough lines and wires to get it to run and drive safely and reliably. If I choose to go nuts building it after that, that's a different story.

After the Legend is in, I can shop for 6speed transmissions and c35a (mmmm all forged internals from the factory, and increased displacement) and build those before I install them, keeping the car on the road through the whole process.

My mid engine RWD turbo CRX - Honda-Tech <- mid-engine turbo b20 in a CRX, on honda tech (assuming SHO still blocks links to other honda sites like an insecure homophobe). He basically proved that what i want to do can be done with some time and engineering.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts