Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
327 Posts
the nitrous backfires are typically caused by mixing the fuel and nitrous in the intake plenum. you have fuel in the intake and this is what causes the explosion. if you are using a dry kit this isnot a concern since nitrous is not explosive. dont worry about it just use it.

· Registered
207 Posts
nov0798 said:
the nitrous backfires are typically caused by mixing the fuel and nitrous in the intake plenum. you have fuel in the intake and this is what causes the explosion. if you are using a dry kit this isnot a concern since nitrous is not explosive. dont worry about it just use it.
No, a nitrous backfire through the intake occurs when intake tract velocity isn't high enough, causing the fuel to fall out of suspension, puddle in the intake and backfire. Excessive fuel buildup on the backside of an intake valve(such as when using a 2-step) can also cause this. The problem isn't the fuel in the manifold, it's the lack of velocity. That's one reason that manufacturers of nitrous systems tell you to only activate it above a certain RPM.

Don't "don't worry about it", find out what's causing it to prevent it from happening again.

· Registered
1,366 Posts
yes, hence the recommendation that N2O is used above 3K or even higher rpm. i personally use it at high rpm on the high cam, but occasionally i've tried it in second gear at 3500-4500 rpm to see how it works. no problems yet. injecting it in high rpm (5-8K)is the way to do it for safety and max. performance.

BTW fiveoboy01, nice times in your sig. what kind of setup are you running to get that? N/A or blower or N2O?

:)

later

· Registered
207 Posts
Put it in my sig...

BTW, would you know how I can change my font size in my signature so it's not so big?

· Registered
1,366 Posts
fiveoboy01 said:
Put it in my sig...

BTW, would you know how I can change my font size in my signature so it's not so big?
that's a nice setup you got there.

sorry i don't know about changing the font size in sigs off hand.
i haven't had a sig for a long time so i can't remember.

later

· Registered
207 Posts
nov0798 said:
ok 5.0 boy you state in your own thread that there is fuel in the intake, exactly what i said.
No, you said

the nitrous backfires are typically caused by mixing the fuel and nitrous in the intake plenum. you have fuel in the intake and this is what causes the explosion.
It's not the fact that the fuel and nitrous are mixed in the intake, nor that there's fuel in the intake.

If you'd read my reply carefully, you'll see I said a backfire occurs when the fuel falls out of suspension and puddles in the intake.

Practice your reading skills.

· Registered
4,212 Posts
Yep, nitrous backfire is occured like 5.0 boy said, i have ridden in my friends 11 sec mustang cobra i think a 96 or 94, he rolled in 1st at about 2000 rpms, slammed on the gas pedal and activcating the nitrous at the same time, all what happened was a loud boom, white nitrous plume coming out of the hood seams, but he keeps on the gas. That thing was damn fast, lost the air filter from the nitrous backfire. He was running a 125 shot.

BTW 5.0 boy, you should consider start working on your chassis setup to reduce the frame twisting, you could get much better times if you could make your body straight even. But nice times and 0-60 times! wanna trade your 0-60 time for my 2.2 0-60?:D j/p

also about your size for font in your sig, you only need one number, and that is at the first code.

· Registered
207 Posts
H22 Bastard said:

BTW 5.0 boy, you should consider start working on your chassis setup to reduce the frame twisting, you could get much better times if you could make your body straight even. But nice times and 0-60 times! wanna trade your 0-60 time for my 2.2 0-60?:D j/p

Problem is already taken care of - the car has a drag swaybar in it now so there's none of that twist going on.

Thanks, but I think I'll keep my 60 foot times ;)

· Registered
194 Posts
I was just going to say the samehting sbout getting a bigger swaybar, great ride man!! keep it up and all on STOCK CAMS!! wooohoooo!!! ever think about the funford series also?? some good competition also out there.

· Registered
207 Posts
whatsnaws? said:
I was just going to say the samehting sbout getting a bigger swaybar, great ride man!! keep it up and all on STOCK CAMS!! wooohoooo!!! ever think about the funford series also?? some good competition also out there.
Well, Real Street requires the use of the stock cam, so unless the NMRA does something stupid like change that rule, that's how it's going to stay.

Fun Ford doesn't have a class I'd fit in(I don't think) - besides, I will barely have the money to run 8 races this year with the NMRA the way it is.

· Registered
327 Posts
well you said it its when the fuel falls out of suspension and puddles IN THE INTAKE. so as i said it is because the fuel is in the intake! without the fuel in the intake you have no fire!

· Registered
20,271 Posts
Azn Chopesticks said:
damn I just saw a car on nitrous, catch on fire. the cause of the fire was the engine backfiring as it was going into 2nd. The owner set-up the kit correctly, so what could have cause the fire??
:eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.