Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Nitrous for LS swapped Civic

10K views 40 replies 6 participants last post by  MATTXR250R 
#1 ·
Have a 93 Civic EX with a 94 B18B1 that I swapped in a couple months ago. Very much enjoying the swap. I have been reading and trying to get familer with Nitrous. I don't have the money to go Turbo right now and have my engine in pieces building the bottom end. This car is my DD so I need it for work everyday.

I was think a Zex Kit with a Dry 55 shot. Can I do this rather "Safely" with 2-3 degrees retarded on the Ignition Timing?

Engine internals are stock..Running OBD1 with a P75 computer.

Specs:

-1993 Honda Civic EX
-4-2-1 Header
-Apexi N1 Catback
-Stock Cat :cry
-Skunk2 Short Shifter and Knob
-Stage 2 Clutch
-9.5lb Flywheel
-GSR Transmission
-CAI

I don't want to spray quite a bit over a months time and then have to pull the engine apart.

I am going to buy another Civic once I get some more things paid off..have a beater civic to DD and get mine in my shop for a good while and get some real shit done and not have to be rushed.

How hard are the ZEX kits to install? I did my swap and everything and do my own work on my motorcycles/atvs so I don't think I would have a problem.

Lots of good posts on Nitrous Articles on the forum already to BTW.

See less See more
#4 ·
zex kit is the best way to go for a nitrous noobie
I had the kit and loved it. They have alot of ***'s on there website that would be able to answer any questions you don't understand.
You will be fine with a 55 shot, as long as everything is installed correct.
LOL, did you mean to say "****" or "faqs?" Cuz I thought that was pretty funny, either way

#3 ·
what kind of shape is your motor in? is the bock sealing well or does it have a fair amount of miles on it?

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies.

The engines milelage is N/A.

I thought i had ran a compression test but haven't..I got confused and thought i had tested it but it was my old D-Series that I tested. I know it would be good to get a leak down test but I don;t know where or how to do this.

Secnario: My engine is in good shape with good compression..with that 55 Zex kit my engine will be fine....but for how long?

#8 ·
I'd jsut go get a compression test from a mechanic you trust. Just so you know..but a 55 shot wont hurt that motor..you could spray for years before you would notice any problems. I ran a 50 shot on a b16 for about 6 years before the rings started to go...and i went through a lot of bottles..so dont worry.

#10 ·
Freakin sweet..thanks for the replies..I have a compression tester that I bought years ago..keep it under my bed in the original box. So I will break it out and run a test on the B-Series.

Yeah its Nitrous...Ricers say NAWZ or NOS..lol.

I would maybe think(of course I know there is no way to find out for sure without running it)but with teh GSR tranny and a 55 shot..I would hope to get into the 14s...I doubt 13s woudl happen with the LS engine.

So the Zex Dry 55 shot kit for a EFI 4 Cylinder comes with everything I need to get going it seems.

#13 ·
FUcking sweet dude. So it is probably very possible I might be in the lower 14s with the 55 shot.

Question,I will be going with the 55 dry shot..i'd like to go 70 now after reading the above post..but since I am still a nitrous newbie I am gonna get used to things with the 55shot. But since I will have the 55 shot kit..my goal is to find any LS engine(I love the LS engine cause of the lowend grunt..VTEC motors don't have this and it sucks,every B16A I have drivin felt like my old D-Series until 5500 RPM. I drive in traffic alot to work and back and having lowend is just alot more fun to me).

But anyways,my goal is to buy another LS engine in good shape. I would then like to build the bottom end a little with forged pistons,rods,etc to hold more nitrous "safely"..at that time would I be able to buy a bigger shot from ZEX for my kit that came orginally with a 55 shot?

I am getting excited about this..Can't wait to get this going on the kit..but i gotta wait a bit with X-mas right around the corner.

#19 ·
you red lit..shame shame shame..lol

#18 ·
Sick Video man of your Hatch. If you guys think the LS can handle a 70 shot for a LONG while..meaning over a year if not more(I know that also has to do with how many times I Spray)then I might just look into get a Wet ZEX kit and skip the 55.

My biggest thing is not blowing it up as riding my sportbike to work in the winter sucks ass and I still have alot of shit I am paying off since me and the ex broke off the engagement deal..Credit cards that were run up,etc so if it blows..I won't have the money to just grab another LS long block off Hmotors,etc.

#21 ·
The fire started as a seperate thing..I dont even think that was nitrous causing that, because nitrous isn't flamable. If by some stretch of the imaginationt hat was nitrous, the only reason you would get a spraying like that is if the fire burnt through the pressurized nitrous line going to the silinoids causing it to escape. I'm thinking more along the lines of a secondary fuel pump thats on a switched 12volt that didnt get turned off when the fire started so it kept spewing fuel.

#24 ·
That fuel thing makes alot of sense. I didn't think about that before hand.

I am seriously thinking about just going with a 70 wet shot from Zex for my LS. Seems it can handle it for a good long while.

Is it going to be a nice seat of the pants difference either with teh 55 or 70 shot?:D

#26 ·
you will notice a difference no matter which you choose..if you go with the 50..then jump to a 75..you will feel a difference there also..but not as drastic. I'm jumping from a 50 shot dry to a 100 wet on my b16...i wont know what that feels like until i get my motor mount fixed..should feel nice though

#27 ·
Hell yeah..I can't wait to get my shit ordered. I am just gonna tell the usual people in my family that keep asking me what I want for x-mas just to give me a few bucks. Put that towards the kit and then hopefully use my tax return in the MOST SUCKIEST WAY EVER..which is pay off credit cards:cry:bash........Damn girls

#28 ·
You know ever since I bought my car...was 18 at the time. I wanted to start making it quicker..but i wasn't sure what to do...I worked at Honda at the time and a guy there was selling his B18B1 out of his Hatch to put a B20 in as he did autocross. So bought his LS long block off him for 500bucks. I was still 18 at the time...finally...by the age of 23 I put the LS in my car. It made a nice differnce over the D series..I must say though the D16Z6 pulled fairly hard up top.

I often hear alot of people say that a civic with I/H/E with a D16Z6 will out run a Civic with an LS swap. This maybe true although I can drive pretty damn good and I don't think that would happen with the shorter gears on my GSR tranny. Of course if I got someone talking smack..I will just shooot by there ass with that 70 shot:clappy:D

#29 ·
Alright guys, Finally got around to doing a Compression Test after work today.

Here are the results:

Cylinder 1-188psi
Cylinder 2-180psi
Cylinder 3-179psi
Cylinder 4-177psi

All the spark plugs were good and tan..they looked good.

Let me know if the compression is good enough for a 55-70 shot of nitrous..I don't want to be putting rings in it in a couple months either..still haven't decided on a 55 dry/wet shot or a 70 wet.

If I remember correctly teh rule of thumb is not to have more than a 10% drop in compression between Cylinders.

If so and my math is correct I should be fine.

#31 ·
Hey man,Appreciate the insight:)

As for which shot for me to run..I want to run the 70 wet..and even though I have been reading the last good while about nitrous and know alot more than I did 2 weeks ago..I still consider myself a nitrous newb as I have never had my car equipped with it.

Some insight on this from you guys would help me finalize a decision.

Based on teh compression numbers above..which BTW were done with the throttle closed..I forgot to do it with the throttle open and by the time I realized it I already had the plugs back in adn the injector clips back on so I just said fook it:bash

Biggest thing is this is my DD.

According to what I am picking up..with either the 55 or 70 shot I won't need any tuning(Hondata,Chrome,etc)correct? Will get the colder plugs from Zex when I order..seems some people with a shot between say 55 and 70 take some ignition timing out..and some don't.

#36 ·
Thanks guys for not running me off..I try and research and do searches before makings new topics...even If I have to go through page after page of results..usually the answer to my questions lies there somewhere..plus you learn more than way to when you see a MISC topic that interests you.

Looks like I am going to order the Zex 70 wet shot kit. Take 2 degrees out of the Ign. Timing and have fun with it:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.