Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... so after reading up at the different boards, it seems that a turbo would be a waste of money for my car right now, (auto) and nitrous would be the best way to go. I just have a few quesitons.. i tried the searching and learned some stuff but still have these questions:

1: I see that a direct port system is better than a dry system. I only play on runnign a 55 shot to my car. What is the difference in price between the dry and the direct port and is it worth it for a 55 shot?

2: Do i need to upgrade my fuel pump or no? I dont really understand what a fuel regulator is to be humbly honest... is it a computer tye thing inside your car that you can adjust the fuel output remotley? Do i need to upgrade the fuel pump to do this?

3: Does a 55 shot work? I mean.. is it worth it? Can you feel a major difference... and does it make for much better times? I read something about an auto civic running a 15.7 on a 55 shot which would put it aobut as fast as an accord v6... (which my mom has and she constantly rags on me for being faster). I hear all these people having problems with a 65 shot... so i'd jstu stay wtih a 55 to be safe...

any information would be helpful thanks.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
u think you are fast then a AV6 with an auto civic?? not likely.

drive fast and being fast is two different things, a echo when floored will be faster then a normal driven ferrari, and mom always think you drive too fast.

back to your question.

dont bother with dirt port if you are shootin up 55 shot.

direct port is almost twice as much as a dry system, maybe more. installation is also a lot harder for direct port as you need to tap into each individual cyclinder head.

you can upgrade your fuel pump if you want to, but the stock fuel pump is good enough for a small shot like this. fuel regulator, it does what it's name tells you. you dont really need that either until you up your shot.

does 55 shot work? i run a 55 shot on daily driving (i dont squeeze that much, but i run a 55 shot nozzle). how much of a difference it makes, about .7 seconds off 1/4 mile, give or take, at least on my car. can you feel the difference? very much so. think vtec, but 2-3 times as powerful.

nitrous is very addidictive, you are going to have temptation to squeeze all the time.

other things, you need to run a step colder plugs, maybe retard the timing by 1 degree (you might not need to). you could add a window switch to save your transmission. techniqually, it is bad to squeeze between shifts, and auto shifts pretty damn slow, so a window switch will allow only release nitrous when you are wide open throttle.

also, run 91 plus octane gas.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info....

on an automatic..... i thought that the throttle body closes momentarily when the tranny shifts... do zex kits run off of an electronic wot sensor or just a pedal switch?

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
1. Don't need direct port with only a 55. Get the ZEX kit and jet it at 75. People on this board have done that with no probs at all

2. No, not with that small of a shot.

3. Yes it's worth it. n2o is the best bang for the buck of any power adder IMO

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
on a D series motor (Civic) go dry shot keeping it low, 50-60 shot.
you don't want to push the motor too far. yes direct port would be a waste of $$ and time for a D series unless the thing was totally built.

with the dry kit such as the Zex you don't need plugs, fuel pump, ignition system upgrades or the like. just a bit of ignition retard depending on your setup and the size of the injection. of course one step colder plugs wouldn't hurt but aren't neccessary.

the FPR is easy to swap out and use. you'll feel a difference with the 50 shot.

later

·
Registered
582 Posts
Zoolander said:
How bad is a 55 shot on an automatic transmission? What's a window switch? How much is that?
If your tranny is in good shape a 55 should be okay. A window switch can be set to turn on a circuit at a set rpm and turn it off at the next preset rpm. For instance u can set it to start spraying nitrous at 3500 rpms and shut off at 6800 before you hit the fuel cutoff on accident and blow stuff up. It's a safety measure more or less. I bought a MSD window switch for my civic when i was running the ZEX kit but i never got to use it and i got turbo. If you want it i'll sell it to you for 55 bucks. It's brand new and i had to wait 3 weeks to get it because it was on back order. Email me at [email protected] or IM me at jkan2001 if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
worth it?

Hell yes its worth it!! My car is doing [email protected] in the 1/4 mile with a 50 shot NOS by holley kit. On street tires.

98 ex
JG 85vt35 cam
dc 421
straight pipe
local exhaust shop exhaust
50 shot kit
holley fuel pump
aem fpr
Mini me project under way for 12.5:1 comp. should make mid 13s.

GO FOR IT:D

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
Zoolander said:
Someone told me that the Zex computer thing (whatever it's called) is not reliable? Is this true?
better then paying 1500 for the so called safe venom system...ZEX has been good and i got a buddy who has it and he loves it. only drawback is its only a dry system.

·
Registered
582 Posts
asianpride559 said:
better then paying 1500 for the so called safe venom system...ZEX has been good and i got a buddy who has it and he loves it. only drawback is its only a dry system.

The ZEX box is perfectly reliable. I haven't talked to a single person YET that has had a problem. I ran the 55 shot with the ZEX kit for about 3-4 months and i never had any problems. You don't even have to retard timing for a 55 shot...and it self tunes. I would highly suggest it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts