Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

NITROUS on my STOCK intake tube?

787 views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  JHD_DA 
#1 ·
well im VERY new to the NOS i was looking into the turbo or possible engine swap but turbo is out b/c i have an auto trans and i dont wanna blow that down the line...and i'd like to swap the engine but thats alot of $$ more then i'd like to spend on THIS car (next car...yes..cough cough 5gen hatch) anywho i have a 98 civic auto thats mostly show and i just a bit of go and i would like to know if my stock intake tube is adequate (sp?) in providing enough air flow and what not b/c from what i understand you install the nozzle in the tube correct? anywho i'll be able to do it with papa dukes's help
p.s. im only gonna go about a 55 shot with a step colder plugs unless of course to experts think i can go 75 shot without blowing shit up? thanks..

#4 ·
55 shots completely stock is coo

65 shots you might wanna get coler plugs, retard timing (cam or ignition)

75 shots. all the things you need for 65 shots, plus..... perhaps a fuel pressure riser, cam gears (to retard timing)

just for safety, get an EGT (exhaust gas tempertaure) gauge. and an air/fuel ratio gauge.

ALWAYS use 91 or higher octane gas
you want to reduce the possiblity of detonation
NEVER spray below 2.5k rpm
no more than 14seconds of spraying
be smart and don't be a dumbass :)

also if you have i/h/e.. that will help you out a lot.

for my accord i used 65 shots with the following mods

i/h/e
aem pulley
weapon r fuel pressure riser
cold plugs
msd 6a/magnecore 8.5mm
i didn't retard my timing....

#6 ·
hmmm... that is a hard question, because once i used 87 and i squeezed... i didn't hear any pinging noise or any sign of detonation. but i would never do that again. better safe than sorry. maybe you can compromise and use an 89?! hehe nah just stick with 91. i don't want you coming back to this forum telling us u blew up your motor. :)

#11 ·
culmination said:
with cam gears you retard/advance your CAM timing

damn... didn't think i had to explain that~

heh i might not be the most knowledgeble dood here, but arn't we trying to retard ignition timing and not cam timing when running boost or n2o??? if cam timing affects igntion timing please explain how, coz i was planning on advancing my cam timing 1or2 degrees and retarding my igntion 2 degrees when running a 65shot on my ride....btw im pretty sure you can use the stock intake tube just gota secure the nozzle some how

#15 ·
u can definatly feel a 55 shot. its not like when slapping on i/h/e where u can barely feel anything. yeah u retard(or advance on an n/a setup) timing from the distributor or ignition such as an msd box. in an earlier thread i read that advancing the exhaust cam is also good when running no2. so u use cam gears for that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.